2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
If these were carbureted cars we were talking about….there would actually be some science as to why 90-95% throttle is faster than WFO.

Besides being fast, what I recall about the last time we did this one is that the Golf was a tank of a machine, very stable in contact situations, so it was becoming the preferred one by the end of the night. I assume it will be a great choice again this week.
Can verify. Got hit twice at banked turn, and the Golf barely budged.

I also won't be surprised if the meta shifts again throughout the race day. I remember the N600 (or 700) SSRX race a while back, the meta started with the '97 Supra, and eventually shifted to the Diablo by the end of the day.

Oceania slot 1. Door 13. Half the field were Supras and that was a problem. They’re too slow and whilst I found a group of 4 for qualifying we were slowed down by the fact that 2 of them were Supra’s. Q8 with Supra’s in Q7, Q9 and Q10. Had to go past the Supra in front to maintain momentum but was just out of slip range to the Golf in front of him. Spent the entire run to the first turn all alone.
Eventually the pack behind caught up and a generally well behaved train emerged. We caught the lead group into turn 3 and once the Golf was on equal terms it was great. Super stable and plenty quick. By the time we entered the final turn I was p5 and halfway through it I was p3. As we straightened up P1 and P2 made significant side on contact and lost momentum. I saw an opportunity and pulled alongside P2 only for him to move right. Knowing the pit wall was approaching I lifted and tried to get left, but to no avail. Both the previous P2 and I hit the pit wall ( and the car behind actually entered the pits.

A likely victory to p15 in less than a second. :rolleyes:

Oh yay it's Special Stage Route Zzzzzzzz today

giphy.gif

The problem would be that no one would want to be at the front because slipstream would be the ONLY thing that mattered.
Slipstream is the only thing that matters now!!

It'd still be more interesting than what it is now though. People would be trying to time their runs perfectly to run out of fuel just as they cross the line and at the same time be in the best position, the race would have tactics attached to it

Last edited:
Ran 2 slots of Nations. Not normally a real race, but a chance for solid points without skill racing. Unfortunately luck wasn't with me tonight.issed slipstream of good groups in both qualifying sessions resulting in a p19 starting slot both races with Supras ahead.

Both races the pack split apart Thanks to the supras and I ended up battling for crumbs as it was frustrating and boring until the final corner. Second race was the worst as we could have run down the mid pack and been battling for p8 or p7 but the people behind wouldn't work together and kept trying to make moves, even in the first turn. Resulting in 2 of us running by ourselves to the line in a battle for p12. Thought I had made the move right but didn't block the last bit perfectly and they nipped me by 0.007. Annoying and painful 2 races bringing home 115 points that should have been much higher. But that's the SSRX lottery.

Congratulations to @Erebus_9 on his win in the second race.

I'm adamant that this race would be better as a single lap with not enough fuel to do the whole lap flat out. As it is, with bump drafting and slipstream trains, it's pretty pointless
Just give us Blue Moon or even Northern Isle (totally forgot it existed have never raced there) and let us have at it for a few laps, can even keep the road car selection to spice it up a bit more. As it is now it's easier to doze off especially running at night 😴

Slipstream is the only thing that matters now!!

It'd still be more interesting than what it is now though. People would be trying to time their runs perfectly to run out of fuel just as they cross the line and at the same time be in the best position, the race would have tactics attached to it
In the current version you’re not too worried about being the lead car though. Bump drafting means you still have a good chance. If fuel is an issue, you are zero chance.

For me, this is a race that would be fun about once a year, not every few months.

BTW, what is with qualifying running the full 9 minutes regardless of everyone finishing after 6? Senseless.

Looking at the amazing chart by @Mistah_MCA I might try the Porsche 993 first since it has the best acceleration and only loses 2km/h on top speed on the Megane which has 4th best acceleration. I will see if the early lead allows me an advantage. I also reckon if I lose a bit of speed in a scuffle the Porsche would recover speed quicker. If I'm not happy with the result I will try the Megane!

Well 1st place in my room drove FD RX7, and 2nd place used the BMW M3 :lol: So much for the meta being Golf/Megane. Even falling back massively at the start, they managed to stay with the pack with slipstream. The RX7 in particular is very good at keeping speed up in the turns, so they gradually inched ahead and no one can overtake coming out of the last corner.

Me in the 993, I blasted from 13th to 7th on the first straight, but my slipstream train is gradually losing to a second train beside me (because of the Porsche's slightly slower top speed). Once people realised this, they stopped bump drafting me and I fell back to 13th. Oh well.

Going by @Mistah_MCA's chart, as long as you use any car that can reach >340 km/h you should have a chance as long as you qualify near the front (to compensate for falling back at the start). The Golf/Megane are safe choices but isn't a must have meta. Also I think the testing method of using Tomahawk to provide constant perfect distance slipstream overinflates the top speed. With bump drafting the Golf/Meganes in my room were only doing 333-334 km/h on flat ground.

Really hoping we would use N1000 or Tomahawk this time for maximum lulz. N400 is too boring here.

Last edited:
Decided to run slot 3 because this race is is lottery anyway. Managed my first ever FIA pole. Converted that to a p6 after mis-managing the last turn while in a lead pack. Oh well, massive improvement as all I ask for is a chance. Worked out for 171. Now officially on to next week as that was the last slot.

I actually really like the SSRX race... it's a fun departure from the norm. Wish it was on a weekday since it doesn't require much practice, might have been nice to shake up the class/car list a bit, and I think PD have run the risk of throwing it out there for us a bit 'too often' but in any case I'm looking forward to it. Just simple fun. Definitely will run as many as possible on the Alt after one on the main. It's a fun challenge and while luck plays a part, it's not purely luck (though it's not about typical race skill, either... a unique challenge).

Started 4th in a Golf. Lots of Supras in my race. Myself and two other Golfs disappeared at the start and were on our own until about halfway through the back straight, then the rest caught up. Ended up with 3 tenths separating 1-11 at the end, I finished 6th. Bit gutted, if I go again people will have learned and won't be in the wrong car.

Nah, both qualy lap and race at someone banging my rear quarter to get in the slip where I was, people not working together and just all around rubbish. When the top 8 qualy were Supras and the Top 5 finishers were Supras with all the Golfs and Meganes stuck in 10th you know it's not going to be good. Not doing it again after starting and finishing in 15th because of being taken out by salty people.

1635000879127.png

Hmm, I think I should go again. Managed to snatch pole position and escaped into the lead with Poc, Deano and Foosa. Behind they managed to build a train of more cars and eventually caught up leading out onto the back straight on lap two and went past. Missed out on entering that train safely and was very difficult to find a way through after that.

Door No.20 and only B driver in the lobby. Qualified 14th as our group basically weren’t as fast as the other group!

Loads of Supras, so launched up into 10th by the top of the hill. Made it into leading pack of 6 cars and coming down the final back straight, some fool in another Golf decided he wanted to enter the train I was in and pushed me out and didn’t stop until I hit the barrier. He had been pushing into the train a number of times earlier and spun out someone in a Porsche lap 1. Dropped me back into second group and finished 11th. Bit annoyed as was in with a shout of winning.

9658CC01-CB66-4DA5-84D0-0353D669286D.jpeg

I almost won the 1st meme lottery of the day happening in @Tidgney 's stream.

But I must say, I feel a bit like a thief right now, having farmed DR yesterday in daily race C, I shouldn't have been in such a high lobby. My previous highest score was around 250-260, so I basically stole 50 points :D

May you all be as lucky as me !

PS_App_20211023_030003.jpeg

Last edited:
That was awesome! I qualified 3rd and finished 3rd after the three of us me in a Golf, the leader in a Vantage and the 2nd placed guy in a 69 Vette all bump drafted each other to finish within 0.166 of each other and 7.5 seconds ahead of the rest of the pack of mostly Supras (10 of the 14 cars behind were wiggly wing wearers banging booty trying to jostle each other for position). What a beautiful example of teamwork and clean racing, and I got the fastest lap. It could have so easily ended in carnage. Feeling blessed this weekend!

Did go again. Clinched pole position yet again and led 90 % of the race but going into the last corner it’s really tricky as the guy in 2nd has the move to his favour with the train ready to immediately follow him. As such I fell back to 4th and couldn’t manage to come around approaching the finish line. Pretty damn satisfied with that though. First time ever 300 +. Perhaps I should call that a day. Oh, and -1 SR for some unknown reason.

First race: P1 to P9 (382 points up for grabs, got 255).
Second race: P1 to P4 (374 points up for grabs, got 327).

1635005205390.png

nice one! Really like the use of bold, bright colours, something I am not very good with myself unfortunately. My design is as usual a bit dark and broody, guess it reflects my personality. 😁 My wife incisted to include a bit of bright yellow to make it less depressing, not sure yet if I will keep it though.

Noticed some good designs here for the coming season, that xxPinkxx Mercedes AMG I saw earlier is especially nice!

Currently testing for the coming race at Suzuka, trying to get to grips with the FR Jaguar. Not really used to FR, always preferred MR. I have done some good lap times, but not very good yet at consistency...a lot of spins and other mishaps so far. So need more practice.

View attachment 1088025
Thx. You'll do fine in the Jaaag. It's easy to drive and competitive. The GR4 has my preference even. Both do understeer quite often. So starting BB 2-3 to the back will be something to look into

After the disaster this race posed a couple of months back I was determined to do better this time. I grabbed the golf for this one. I got into a train for qualy and put her 7th which isn't too bad. However off the start I was into 2nd behind a Fugu before the bridge. Another Brit in a Golf came up behind me and started to draft. However the Supra train rolled into the station at the first corner. I was ahead along the back straight. Then this happened in the 2nd corner.

1635007034053.png

Glad I landed on my tyres without squiggle for once. Me and the other Golf lost the train to 4 cars ahead but we were now clear to those behind so we settled in and I bumped him for the lap. I then timed my escape perfectly in the last corner and grabbed 5th by 2 hundreths of a second.
20211023_153732.jpg

A decent start to the season and of course I thanked my drafting buddy.

Went again in the Megane. Started 13th. A group of 5 broke away at the start, I was in a group of 7 behind that was trying to catch. The lead group broke apart a bit in turn 1, lap 1 and we started catching. We kept catching until turn 1, lap 2 and it was honestly such a buzz when we made it to slipstream range. Everybody in our train was flashing their lights. In the back straight we broke apart a bit and I ended up sliding a bit when two people to the left of me were pinballing about. I stayed in range of the group of 12 but since almost all of them were in Meganes I couldn't really catch up. Ended up 10th. Disappointing end, but honestly the thrill of managing to catch the first group was almost as satisfying as a good result. Ah well.

Back