2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I can only get 13 in custom race short shifting at the same spot as you in the rev counter. At full noise I use 9% per lap, at the end of the gear indicator it’s 7.5% and if I shift at halfway it’s a bit under 7%. There’s almost no difference in time between full noise and 60%. Shifting at halfway is considerably slower.

I must be harder on the throttle in some places?

I see you already ran your race, but possibly, I'm short-shifting or not downshifting by a gear into some corners like the ones in S2 since a lot of them don't require accelerating majorly through them.

Suffice to say, I’ll be adding Interlagos to my blacklist of bogey tracks next to Big Willow. I never get any good results here and I inevitably get mugged towards the end regardless of what strategy I try. My last run was marred by me binning it on my second stint’s inlap at Juncao, followed by a total lapse of concentration that caused me to punt off someone at Ferradura on the final lap, the ensuring 2 second penalty dropping me to 16th for 59 points.

My this week's FIAGTC results (both after tire penalties):
Nations: 18th -> 12th (16th on the road, so many rattled cages...)
Manufacturer: 2nd -> 2nd (5th on the road, got the pit strategy almost right by pitting in lap 5 and 12 with S/H/M pattern with fuel map at 3 and 4 - could have won)

Last edited:
I see you already ran your race, but possibly, I'm short-shifting or not downshifting by a gear into some corners like the ones in S2 since a lot of them don't require accelerating majorly through them.

This is what helped me get to 14 laps. Shifting to 3rd early in the Senna S, holding 4th gear on the uphill double apex right instead of going down to 3rd, and shifting into 4th super early on the descending lefthander into the final corner to keep the car on the apex.

Everyone I league race with made a pact to go Toyota this season. They all went Supra for Gr.3, so I went FT-1 just to be that guy! :P

Interlagos is a circuit that I'm okay on, but I never trouble my best performances. I've managed to get my DR back over 40k, so I'm interested to see how I stack up!

I'll probably give it two attempts unless the first is good, and I'm streaming as ever.

This is what helped me get to 14 laps. Shifting to 3rd early in the Senna S, holding 4th gear on the uphill double apex right instead of going down to 3rd, and shifting into 4th super early on the descending lefthander into the final corner to keep the car on the apex.

Yup, that's exactly what I've been doing. I've also been shifting early into 3rd coming out of Turn 9 the long, nearly constant radius left-hander) as well.

On to Europe and as I'm in the same Vantage it'll be the same 9H/6M/5S strategy, but hopefully won't have the coule of stupid issue I had in Oz.
D15 in a 62 point race. Q5 in a really tight one 3-6 less than 0.06 and I forgot to change tyres :banghead::banghead::banghead: Why can't it just put the softest on for quali and leave you how you want to play?
Well it wasn't too bad went 5S/6M/9H and came 6th, was blocked out of 5th, but then the other guy I let pass spun out so it's swings and roundabouts. Still 49 points and not a bad race so I'll call it quits and try USA later....should I stick with Aston or go for something different, maybe go stupid and take something MR so I have to learn it???

Checked OZ and 9H/6M/5S was 4secs faster than 5S/6M/9H and here was clean no real issues just the normal passing losses, OZ had one shove off track and a couple of idiots fighting.

Last edited:
Qualified 11th, finished 11th, tried H8/M7/S5 ran Fuel mix 2 until last stint, surprisingly Mediums were not great on 7th lap, I was running 5th for a few laps but once everyone pitted it all when back same way. Opted for the Subaru this season and I recon if I had run full fuel mix result would have been the same but tyres might have suffered more. I think I picked a race were most started on hard tyres which resulted in a bit of a stalemate, first few laps were a bit messy. Going to run the Alfa later on Alt-acc and I found it good on tyres and fuel.

Well a poor qualifying put me in 16th. Started on the Mediums where I was tapped of at T1 into last place. I quickly caught up and managed a couple of passes until a beetle who'd just tap me wide to get past me every time I got past them. Pitted lap 7 for Hard tyres and rejoined in 17th. Pitted again on lap 14 and joined in 15th. Managed to get a few places in that last stint through strategy to finish 12th and 0.025 behind 11th for 72 points. Going in again as I know I can get more points given a better quali run.

Man the F1 GTR is a bit of a pig round here. Door 13, 262pt race, was the first out in qualifying an did my first lap with a 30:7 which was pole for all of 3 seconds, went straight after I’d done my lap but just too much traffic so can’t see trying to do 2 hot laps ever been something to be able to pull off, even if I did have 10 seconds to spare as I went over the line, so I ended up dropping down to the order to an abysmal 17th with my first lap. Was a tiny bit scruffy think a 30:5 would of been possible. Race was just a follow the leader with the hard tyre boys still in 17th, most came in end of lap 7, I went a lap further to lap 8 knowing full well 6 laps on the softs isn’t an option with a DS4. On to the mediums for the then loneliest 7 laps in a race I’ve ever had, I pitted at the end of lap 15 to put the softs on. Couple of guys evidently struggling ahead when I rejoined back in P17 with 16 an 15 dicing ahead, managed to use the only strong characteristic of the F1 down the straights to put me in a decent position into the Senna esses, albeit 3 wide and on the outside, soft tyres do your thing! Hung out on the outside, little door to door tap into the right held my line an then dived up the inside of P15 into T4 again after using the power of the F1 against an RSR. An that was that, pretty boring to be honest. Might try again at 18:40 race.

I screwed up my qualifying by getting a wheel onto the grass at Bico do Pato whilst trailbraking and spun it on the first flying lap. The best I could do with worn tyres was P14 (which became P13 because someone left before the race started). From that far back I went for a 6H/7M/7S, and I'm glad I did. The driver behind me was in the McLaren F1 which utterly controlled how my race went. It was immediately alongside my Atenza going into turn 1, completely compromising me on cold Hards and resulting in me dropping all the way to the back. The problem then was it was holding me up in sectors 1 and 2 and even if I had somehow managed to get past it would have simply stormed past me in sector 3.

I'd already practiced fuel saving, so I just took it even further biding my time until the second pit stop. I had 24% fuel when I came into the pits at the end of lap 13. :lol: Didn't take long to get sufficient fuel to run to the end which jumped the train I'd been stuck behind. 👍

The F1 eventually caught me again due to an Alfa who caused quite a few incidents using me to slow down at turn 1, but meh.

Some incidents and penalties from others, like the previously mentioned Alfa and a BMW having a proper ding-dong at the Senna S helped me eventually finish P9 for 113 points. Clean race bonus too. :) I think I could have done better as my practice race times were ~32:06-32:07 and the winner did a 32:10, but I'm not that fussed.

Last edited:
I won't go into massive detail for my race as I was basically out of my depth. Feels like the McLaren GT3 is just off the pace at Interlagos (or rather me in the McLaren GT3 is just off the pace). Q18th P19th courtesy of running out of fuel at the line. I really had to push the car to do the lap times and that took strategy options off the table.

All I really wanted to say that this being my first FIA race with the new penalty system, and Interlagos being particularly prone to a bit of door banging, it was refreshing to see the penalty system keeping its nose out of incidental contact. People were racing hard but fair (that I saw) and nobodies race was ruined by stupid penalties.

I know people will disagree but I'd rather see this than what we had with he previous system.

Anyway on to the Gr.4 races where I should have more of a fighting chance.

That was OK I suppose. First slot in EMEA. Took a track limit pen in qualy when the one car in front of me got way out shape and I had to take avoiding action off track. P14 about 2 secs off my practice time.

So went for 6H/6S/8M which became 6H/7S/7M because I had clean air on lap 13 and seemed to be pulling away from those behind. Possibly a lap too many on softs but not sure it made a difference.

The big problem is car choice. Went VW because I have some amusing liveries but the Beetle has a whisky bottle for a fuel tank!!! I had to fuel on both stops and doubt I could have fuel saved enough to avoid it.

Still finished 8th which is OK from 14th. 6th and 7th were really battling for the last 2 laps and I was sure one of them would do something stupid and gift me a place or two. Really annoying when folk race clean:lol:

Went again, much better qualifying for 5th. Stayed 5th for quite some time but ended up 7th. Went 7m/7h/6s. Maybe hards as the middle stint were a mistake because I feel like I didn't put a foot wrong and should have got 5th? Not sure about going again. 105 points is decent for me and I might be tempting fate since I've thus far avoided being in too many tangles

Shocking quali, but decent race, had some fun battles along the way.
PS_App_20210303_061700.jpeg

One and done, load of crap. Qualified 15th in the RX-VISION, 6H/7M/7S and 49 litres at the second stop (which was too much, by about 5).

Grabbed 8th at the line - would have been 6th if not for a douchey block from an AMG at the last Juncao - essentially due to 10th spinning off ahead of me with two left, then a car cutting the pit entry on the last lap and another running out of fuel.

120 points, and an evening off.

6B3F96A5-DEBB-43D3-A08C-1BB7BDE546FF.jpeg

Qualified bang in the middle in 10th giving me a tire selection head ache. Selected Mediums but at the last second went for a big gamble starting on Hards. Thought I’d use the draft whilst all close together early in the race to keep up with the medium runners. Seemed to work, only losing one position before the others tires started dropping off after a few laps. Came out pits in 9th for final Softs stint 7.5 seconds behind 8th. Finished 1.5 seconds behind at the end. I was one of only 5 drivers who hadn’t already raced in the first slot, so reasonably happy with result considering they’d all had practice!

Last edited:
Back