2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Mustang Gr.3 Marc VDS livery I made for it. I did ok did 2 races. First one I qualified 10th finished 6th in BB lobby. I went up to BS lobby. Qualified 3rd and had first fir s minute but lost it to the lambo. He just pulled on us. No penalties clean race 68 points. I ran 6S 7M 7H had 0.4 fuel left. I streamed it on YouTube if anyone would like to see. vdirtyj3rzv I haven't done
20210303_221203.jpg
20210303_221203.jpg
a points race in like a year. Just need to get my rank up

Man, I suck at Interlagos.

First race in second slot for me, I mess up my first flying lap by running wide and half-spinning at Albon hairpin, and on my second flying lap for some reason a person coming out of the pits with 34 seconds left for qualifying, meaning there is no way they can run a second lap, decides to fight me into and out of T4, ruining my second lap. Qualified 16th, had a rather boring race at the back since I didn't have much pace in the race, finished 14th.

Second race in third slot, and despite losing 500 DR from the first race, I get bumped up a split, which was nice because I got to see some familiar faces like @Geauxgreddy and @sk1719 . I manage to qualify 6th for this race, and up until the first pit stops I'm able to hang with the front pack as there was some close racing. Accidentally minorly punted @Geauxgreddy under braking (sorry) and later accidentally turned into @sk1719 (sorry) coming out of Albon corner where it got hairy. I went for the undercut and jumped on Hards, which may have been a mistake, as I slowly started falling back. I didn't race super defensively and let people pass me because I didn't want to lose time, so maybe that's the problem, but idk. Despite getting a successful undercut for the second stop, I still slipped backwards because I suck at Interlagos and I swear there was less grip/more understeer in the FIA race than the practice races I was in. I come home to finish in.... 14th, again.

Yup, I'm just gonna stop racing at Interlagos from now on. Sorry Senna.

Good evening friends,
So, I made it back just in time to get 12 minutes practice in during the wait for entry! Stoked.
I qualified 8th after sitting in the pits long enough to escape the horde. A plus full room, but I only recognized one other entrant.
I went out on softs. I was seventh starting lap 2 then I was getting held up by a sketchy Alfa for a while. I just stayed patient and pulled alongside in the hairpin. We were nose to nose coming around the left sweeper to final turn, he ran wide and almost shoved me off, then into the final turn as I slowed and a Renault dove my inside (saw it coming) the Renault hit the Alfa and I happily walked them on exit.
5th now.
End of lap three I passed a Subaru with a better exit final turn. 4th now.
Lap 4 and I’m all over an AMG.
I take him in the hairpin end of lap 4, into third place! I’m catching an NSX now...
I pass him start of lap seven into turn 1 in textbook fashion (you KNOW I had to throw that in there after the other thread :))
So, sitting second considering pit or stay out end of 7.
I pit, after seeing the leader come in....
I switch to MED. Now the NSX behind in 3rd has softs, fresh ones.
I hold him off until he bumped me end lap nine on final turn exit. I’m ahead and go defensive into turn one. He goes up next to the wall, and I lift and let him go.
I am not looking for incidents.
So I begin to realize that I’ll be out of fuel before my MED are worn out.
The NSX has only pulled 1.5 on me by lap 11. Sitting third running low on gas...
He’s 2.5 up on me ending lap 12 and I’m forced to pit and take off good mediums, and refuel.
Lap 13 I come out into 17th with extra fuel on hard tires...
Into lap 14 people pit and I’m tenth.
I pass an Aston who turned in on me in that left sweeper end of 14...
So lap fifteen sitting 3rd after everybody pits...
Subaru and Alfa are back, on fresh softs...They on me!!
Entering turn one the Subaru goes by, I wasn’t gonna stop him but after him the AMG barges up and hits...So...
After the mess I’m chasing the AMG whose on softs. It’s lap 17.
I was closing to .8 here and there...
By end of 19 into 20 I’m on him into t1.
He goes waay defensive. I take racing line still on him.
Up the straight approaching Decida De Lago he goes defensive again.
Mid track.
I am able to overlap him on outside on the straight. I want him mid track on entry, no racing line for you, sir.
Into entry he tries to cut in front of me and slams his brakes resulting in a minor contact him missing apex and me going through into fifth on the racing line.
I finish fifth and take home over 200 pts.
After the race multiple people verbally accosted me including one that was never near my car lol.
The AMG...Dude I was there. You can’t try to late brake cut me off.
(His car got loose because on the straight into t4 I was on racing line with overlap, he cut over and baby pit maneuvered himself)
Dude you went defensive, why the hate in chat?
Anyways it was a super fun event at a track I dearly love.
My strategy kept me from the podium on this night. I don’t care though. That was some of the best racing I’ve had in a long time. (90 percent South American A plus in the room). Love the new matching!

Cheers
5D4E84BB-0AF0-48E5-9651-0129CAC97D29.jpeg

Last edited:

First race in second slot for me, I mess up my first flying lap by running wide and half-spinning at Albon hairpin, and on my second flying lap for some reason a person coming out of the pits with 34 seconds left for qualifying, meaning there is no way they can run a second lap, decides to fight me into and out of T4, ruining my second lap. Qualified 16th, had a rather boring race at the back since I didn't have much pace in the race, finished 14th.

Second race in third slot, and despite losing 500 DR from the first race, I get bumped up a split, which was nice because I got to see some familiar faces like @Geauxgreddy and @sk1719 . I manage to qualify 6th for this race, and up until the first pit stops I'm able to hang with the front pack as there was some close racing. Accidentally minorly punted @Geauxgreddy under braking (sorry) and later accidentally turned into @sk1719 (sorry) coming out of Albon corner where it got hairy. I went for the undercut and jumped on Hards, which may have been a mistake, as I slowly started falling back. I didn't race super defensively and let people pass me because I didn't want to lose time, so maybe that's the problem, but idk. Despite getting a successful undercut for the second stop, I still slipped backwards because I suck at Interlagos and I swear there was less grip/more understeer in the FIA race than the practice races I was in. I come home to finish in.... 14th, again.

No worries. Racing incident. 4th slot is bugged. We all in pits still for qualy.

Rave one was an unmitigated disaster. Pushing and banging on first quality lap,, punted on the second,, ended up P15 with a door of 7. Started on H, huge mistake, at least in that lobby. Immediately punted off at t4. DFL, Catch up and just slowed way down on reaching the pack. Short story finished P13 and full of righteous and terrible irritation.

Race 2 ended up my favorite race to date in GTS Not a great Q, but P10 with a door of 17. Decided to try and escape the trouble and start on S. Sure enough was up into 8 at the end of lap 1 and into 5 by lap 4. 1,2,3 are checking out, so I plan on settling in with P4, but get the rights just off track braking into T1 and spin the car down to P8. Settled back down made some passes, got a track limit penalty, and come back out of final pit stop right back in P10 on fresh mediums. Get a clean move on the inside of T4 as P9 brakes late and goes a little wide, I stay tight and slip by. Closed the 4 secod gap to P8 on the penultimate lap, filling his mirrors as we enter T1final lap but no contact and he is on softs, but clearly worn. Final corner, I just want to stay close and get him on the straight, but he brakes too late and just can't get around the corner clean, I drive up the inside and finish P8.

Last edited:
For this season I've chosen to drive for Chevrolet because I've been having too much fun driving the C7R in Assetto Corsa recently. It was good to be racing with Asia again however things didn't get off to a good start.

How did round 1 go? Well I got 2 poles after doing 2 races but no victory (what? :eek:), both races were mediocre slash not very good. First race my M-S-H strategy didn't work very well and I wasn't fuel saving as much and I ended up finishing 5th. Yikes. Second race was slightly better cos I decided to start on S-M-H and was able to save some fuel with the fuel map and retain the lead a bit longer, until I got outsmarted by 4 drivers behind me who did S-H-M plus fuel save while on Hards. I tried so hard to defend 2nd place but I ended up finishing 5th again. In the end I scored 222 points and sit 111th in Asia.

This is how my headman reacted to my double defeat.

FlatWideeyedAuklet-size_restricted.gif

Ran all 5 races because my first race, where I finished 6th and earned 238 points. I felt I could improve on because I had qualified 12th.

Qualified worse in all four following races and never finished anywhere near the top 10. Ran stone dead last in the top tier room for my last race, finished 16th, 136 points. Gambled and lost big, poor showing all around.

Last edited:
AA861F69-C376-406A-9493-B03400A9B16E.jpeg
I ran the 3rd and 5th slots in the Americas tonight. Poor qualifying (Q19 and Q17) in both, but gained positions (P14 and P12) so not terrible.

First race I saw @Groundfish in the lobby, but was far behind in the race. My race wasn’t too exciting as my pace was poor as I was a bit timid and defensive around unfamiliar drivers. The post-race chat was certainly lively.

Second race was a slightly mixed group,but points on offer were almost the same as the earlier slot. I felt greater confidence going in, though qualifying diminished that a bit.

Went 6H/7M/7S and pace was good in the later stints, but I struggled on the hard tires to keep it in the 1:33s and the softs died on the last lap. Pretty happy with the results and looking forward to next week

So my first race in my return with the Stuttgart brand has been decent.

The strat I went for this race is 7M/6S/7H but mid-way through the race after switching to softs, that's where I regret going for softs because the dude behind me went for the H/M/S strat and he managed to jump me and the others on route to a win for him.

At around before the end of lap 16 and when I saw him going for softs while I went hards, that's where the team engineer in me told me to just let the Porsche driver pass me because he's on softs while I'm on hards plus I don't wanna waste time so I turned on my blinkers to show that I'll let him pass without having to defend the position.

And from there, it was smooth sailing to a podium finish.
Gran_TurismoSPORT_20210304001153.png

Last edited:
I suck at Interlagos, especially in Gr.3 cars, but after having some promising results in some practice races this week, I decided to give it a go. Won't ever make that mistake again...

Slot 2
: Start and finish 13th for 144 points. Went 7H/7M/6S.
Slot 3: Start and finish 12th for 152 points. Same strat as previous race. Might've actually had a decent race if not for being a victim of the pinball collision physics and getting a massive punt at the first hairpin even though the actual contact was minor.
Slot 4: Start 10th and finish 11th for 157 points. Went 6M/8H/6S and dropped like a rock on my middle stint.
Slot 5: DC...🤬 0 points obviously...

Both championships are off to great starts...:grumpy:

Last edited:

Cant believe my fellow GT Planet inhabitant murdered me! Oh the pain! I kid, not a big deal. Judoka got the worst of it and you held back to let him in front. It was good seeing you on the track, as well as @sk1719!

Well, I made a promise at the last Interlagos FIA race that I will not race another fuel/tyres race at this track. I should learn that I need to keep my promises...

Manufacturer Cup 1st round - Hyundai at Interlagos

Put a decent quali lap with 30.1 and that put me in P8 at the start. Started on mediums had a good first 4-5 laps, keeping with the cars in front and saving a lot of fuel. Then a couple of fights started in front and we all suffered a decrease of pace. Pitted end of lap 8 for the soft, had a few decent laps at the beginning of the stint until I caught up with traffic. Got again stuck behind and pitted at end of lap 14 for Hards and a bit of fuel. Got out in P11 in a middle of the pack and I knew my race is probably compromised. I was hoping there are still cars in front to pit but made a mistake in sector 2 and spun basically ending my race. I finished in P19, getting 64 points in the process and lost about 1.5K DR. And I am in P80 for Hyundai in EMEA...

1st FIA race(s) for me since July. I came back to GTS 3 weeks ago and tried to get rid of the rust on my wheel (and body) driving in Daily Races on an alt. I was worried about my competitiveness entering the first slot at 48K DR.
Last year, I was able to be very fast for 1 lap while being terribly inconstant so I opted for a stable-but-not-too-slow Manufacturer, that is Hyundai (based on opinions found here and some testing). I also wanted to switch from MR to FR train (drove Alfa and Honda in 2020).

I ended up doing all 5 slots just because it was so much fun, the driving standards were very high and I felt I was improving.

Funny thing is, I was slow in quali but didn't make any (big) mistake in... 100 laps! Here are the results:

Slot 1: 9th -> 8th, 167 pts (too conservative at the start), total time 32:13

Slot 2: 14th -> 7th, 185 pts, total time 32:11

Slot 3: 15th -> 9th, 147 pts, total time 32:09

Slot 4: 18th -> 12th, 134 pts, total time 32:15

Slot 5: 11th -> 9th, 151 pts, total time 32:06 (all laps on Soft in the 31s, 32s on Meds and 33s on Hards, am I finally getting constant?)

Now I have to learn how to qualify better, maybe I should start using slipstream. I'd have started 3-4 positions higher on the grid with only 1 tenth less in 4 of the 5 races!
DR is at 49,9K, there's hope to break into A+ soon :)

Have a good (short) season everyone!

Last edited:
I made it into top split yesterday for the first time in a while. Whatever I did I was never going to beat or get close to this kind of lobby:

PS_App_20210303_064432[1].jpeg

I did no laps of practice but @Philtaylor17 did kindly tell me which track we were on 2 minutes before the lobby opened (whilst I finished my dinner). I couldn't do warm-up since I was loading up @Tidgney's stream and typing in his chat so my first non-oval laps in the F-Type were in qualifying. It's actually a pretty nice car to drive so I managed to get it up to P20 (only 2 seconds off pole). Since I had no chance I set a target of leading a lap which thanks to the more realistic pit times I could do for my 2 and a half minutes of fame.

In the end I finished where I belonged for 83 points (less than you would get in a low B lobby :odd:) but had a lovely time.

Here are all 45 seconds of my highlights:

2021 Manufacturer Exhibition Season Round 1
Interlagos Group 3
Lobby High A/S

Slot 1 - Even though I practiced for a solid week, I still looked like someone in their first FIA race. Embarrassing really. I was a menace to the field; forgetting that while you sit in the starting grid your tires go to ice. I had a promising start in P5, but after going off track 3 times and taking out a Ferrari and very nearly gathered up an Aston, I finished p11. I had a little battle with a Uruguayan, where I felt he didn't leave room twice in the Senna S and purposefully ran me wide by releasing the brake on the inside to use my door as a pivot point. I was clearly on the better tire, so I decided to go full send. Terrible overtake by me, terrible race-craft by both of us, really. He ended up dropping pretty far back as the field caught him. Just not sure why you'd battle a guy on lap 16 that has soft tires. Still, no excuse. The head must stay cool.

Slot 2 - I decided to stick to my game plant and race with a calm demeaner and let the cards fall where they may. I didn't get baited into burning extra fuel or going for any silly moves. I played the long game and it paid off. I went from p5 to p2 and gathered up 206 points. Which, isn't too bad. Also picked up a nice chunk of DR.

High tire wear? Fuel saving? The Ford GT as my factory car, and Interlagos, a track I continually struggle at in GR3?

Thank god it was Race Control's birthday yesterday, and the track was off limits for me :lol:

Looking at the scores from last night, I need to do well in Nations to maintain my S ranking (if I care...it's not like I'll ever actually use it).

I think the car choice is going to be a bit of a mind **** at LMGPII. The FT-1 is fast, but I've never driven it in a race, I don't think. The grid start and handling nature of the track means that most MR cars will probably be a good choice. I'm really comfortable in the R8 and decently comfortable in the 458. I'm sort of waiting for one of the aliens to tell me what to drive, though.

Next week DTS, don't know if I can do it without pitting but bet some can. Looks to be pointless if that's the case as people with wheels will have a huge advantage. Nations is a bit meh as I can't get used to that track that way round and one of the barriers stops you if you hit it wrong so might just skip that, in fact might just totally skip nations after last weeks fiasco.

In the end I finished where I belonged for 83 points (less than you would get in a low B lobby :odd:) but had a lovely time.

Hey I'd love that much! I the handful of low B lobbies I was in last exhibition I only go 50 or so points for 2nd/3rd. Maybe 60 odd was avaible a couple of times for 1st. To be fair there was 51 points available in my high C lobby yesterday. Maybe they've tweeked the points a little.

Shame you don't get a laps lead bonus to points.

Next week DTS, don't know if I can do it without pitting but bet some can. Looks to be pointless if that's the case as people with wheels will have a huge advantage. Nations is a bit meh as I can't get used to that track that way round and one of the barriers stops you if you hit it wrong so might just skip that, in fact might just totally skip nations after last weeks fiasco.
Hards should easily go the distance on 6x wear. They were already lasting half the race at Interlagos, which is already torturous on tires, at 10x wear. DTS is way kinder on tires, and the race is much shorter. Fuel also shouldn't be a concern.

Hards should easily go the distance on 6x wear. They were already lasting half the race at Interlagos, which is already torturous on tires, at 10x wear. DTS is way kinder on tires, and the race is much shorter. Fuel also shouldn't be a concern.
Yeah did a test and tyres aren't even slightly an issue. Could do 5 maybe even 10 laps more without pitting. So it's a straight sprint, OH well never mind.

This is one of those sprinty type races. Flag drops and we all go as hard as we can until someone gets the checkered flag. No strategy other than qualifying really well.

Last edited:
What cars are people using for Saturday? The best cars are going to be things I'm not used to driving so I might as well try something different. I have the Audi in my head as an idea but am open to other suggestions.

Back