2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I'm a big fan of grid starts, although if anyone uses a Corvette in my race I'll be sure to stay out of the way.

Hard tyres are fine but this car reminds me of the last time I drove a Porsche in this game, which was a Gr.3 race at Brands Hatch long before I got a wheel. When the tyres start going off and the fuel's going down it feels like the car isn't gripping the road at all, it just sort of floats around and you can't properly make it do... anything. Not a good feeling on a track that's lined with as much gravel as there is here.

I quite like the track and the car. I also prefer grid starts to spread out rolling starts.

I have no doubt this all means my race will be terrible.

PS_App_20210407_044729.jpeg
PS_App_20210407_044737.jpeg
Didn't do this combo the last time we had it so trying it out this time

Edit:
Pole and podium. Quali lap came out of nowhere, was 3 tenths quicker than what I did in practice. I knew I didn't have the pace to stay at the front, lost P1 at the start and after that it was just about minimising time loss and in the end just about held on to P3

Last edited:
Well that was something.

Qualified 16th and finished 8th for 130 points (second joint highest of the season).

Qualifying was terrible, went around ok but I'm just useless around here so no one's fault but my own.

Start of the race, cling to the inside like a limpet and all of a sudden I'm somehow 6th. The rest of the race I bounced between there and 10th. Bumped a few people and was on the receiving end of some bumps. Most importantly kept up the car pointing the right way.

If anything gaining 10 spots on the first turns were a bit of a hindrance. I really can't stress how slow I am here. Couldn't pull away from people and vast majority of people behind me were much quicker.

Overall, pleased with the result. Won't go again because I just don't find this combo enjoyable. Also managed to score above 100 in every race so don't want to jeopardise that personal milestone

Good luck to everyone yet to run and remember, not everyone is trying to hit you! But everyone probably will...

So, first time in a 200+ points lobby on a combo that I'm really not comfortable with. Nothing but fun and joy ahead, shared with @stpatty who was on the same rollercoaster crash of a race.

I qualified P14 and went around the outside of the first hairpin when the race began, only to get shoved onto the gravel going past the pit exit and spin out. Got to love being dead last by a clear mile by no fault of my own as soon as the race starts.

I finished P16 in the end, solely by regaining positions from whatever dirty shenanigans had been going on up front or by people making mistakes. At least my DR is still (barely) above 40k I guess. :lol: Not how I planned on ending the season but goddamn I can't drive MRs at Laguna Seca.

Oh, and if I had to sum this race up as a question - "Didn't we have brake markers?"

Last edited:
Qualified 7th with about the best lap I could manage. Ended up 6th after the start then in a 4-way fight for 2nd on lap 2 after someone served a penalty, then this happened:

Then I went to 4th

Then on lap 6 while in 7th I clipped the gravel on the exit of the right hander before the corkscrew and got stuck on a tyre wall trying to get back on the track

Put in much better and more consistent lap times from then to the end while chasing Zorzil than I had in any practice but my best lap was still miles off the rest of the field. I was driving scared in those first 5/6 laps since I knew I was slower than the cars around me and had no confidence pushing to the edges of the track, and it showed. I feel as if I could have done better (-800 DR despite being #19 is a nice bonus) but it wouldn't have been that much better.

Well done to @King_Ears (I assume) on the win

Last edited:
View attachment 1002884 View attachment 1002885 Didn't do this combo the last time we had it so trying it out this time

Edit:
Pole and podium. Quali lap came out of nowhere, was 3 tenths quicker than what I did in practice. I knew I didn't have the pace to stay at the front, lost P1 at the start and after that it was just about minimising time loss and in the end just about held on to P3

That livery looks familiar :lol:

View attachment 1002884 View attachment 1002885 Didn't do this combo the last time we had it so trying it out this time

Edit:

Good race. Unfortunately looking at the qualifying times I'll be lucky to start in the Top 10 in my split (likely 2nd in NA). What were your race times?

Well my race looked like the exception to whats been happening here. Qualifying want OK for me and managed a mediocre 8th on the Grid, fortunately this put me on the inside for T1. Lap 1 and my start was fine, nothing special but a small tap from behind somehow elevated me to 5th position. From there I was passed into 6th at the end of Lap 1. A small mistake then cost me 6th a few laps later and eventually fell to 8th again. Has a really fun battle with a Spaniard for the second half of the race, nice and clean, respectful driving. Managed a pass into T6 as they got a poor exit from T5 on lap 14 and managed to cleanly get past. P7 on the line for 101 points improving my score. One and done for me, good luck everyone else yet to race or going again. :cheers:

That livery looks familiar :lol:
I normally go for yours if I don't have any :P

Good race. Unfortunately looking at the qualifying times I'll be lucky to start in the Top 10 in my split (likely 2nd in NA). What were your race times?
P1 was very quick about 5-7 tenths a lap quicker than me and they did a 22:18 I think. I was 11s off and P2 was 4s ahead of me. Though there were some big gaps behind I think there was a lot of battling

Considering that I barely won in mid-B DR the last time this combo came up, trying to improve on my good results at RBR and BMB was going to be difficult. In most of the races, I had to finish 5th or better to improve my score.

Race 1 saw me start from the back after a bad qualifying, but I managed to avoid making too many mistakes in the mayhem to take 9th.

Races 2 and 3 were complete garbage for me. Race 2 saw me swerve into the sand to dodge a jump-starter, causing me to lose control while executing the moose test and sending me to the back. I finished 14th. Race 3 was going well, until I got sent off at the left turn after the Corkscrew, with the culprit getting a slap on the wrist with a token 1 second penalty. I finished 14th again.

Race 4 had me jump-start when I accidentally let go of the handbrake too early, sending me to the back again with a 1 second penalty after someone ran into me off the line. Seriously, why are jump-starters not ghosted? Despite this, the race was about as messy as Race 1, if not more so. I barely missed out on my target of 5th, finishing 6th.

Race 5 saw me nearly spin out out of the first hairpin, sending me to the back again. My race became a total wash after I was punted off at the Corkscrew and was forced to crawl through the sand to rejoin while my (probably unintentional) punter got another meaningless 1 second penalty. I then made an very optimistic divebomb at the Corkscrew, spinning the Corvette ahead into the left wall.

With my race already ruined anyway, I slowed down and let him re-overtake me, leaving the both of us 6 seconds behind the other backmarkers. The other backmarkers were fighting so hard, we were able to catch up and make a few passes in the chaos, finishing 11th (the Corvette) and 13th (me). I apologised to the Corvette I took out after the race.

A disappointing result, but not unexpected, considering that I just could not put a good lap together in qualifying in all of the races.

7431512231333889052_0.jpg

Here are the two itashas I made for the race. My profile link is in my signature if anyone wants to use them.

I was going to give the final race a miss but I really enjoyed this combo last time and spent sometime doing laps early today in the Cayman which I used the last time and was happy enough to give it a go and hope there was some kind of clean racing. I did one race each main & alt accounts and decided to go with the Corvette on my Alt first, straight away in practice I was almost 1 second faster that the Cayman so I guess it suited my driving style better.

First race I was first out of the pits in Qualifying so stayed out as I had a gap and no fear of been hit from behind but I spent too much time watching behind and dropped it on the way up the hill at the kink so I stayed out of the way to find space and not feck everyone's lap up behind me. My second lap I was blocked so did a slow time for 19th on grid. I just held back for start but there was mayhem the grid so I made up a load of places until someone catching up missed their braking point and helped me off the track. I just decided to drive steady from lap 2 and in the second half of the race started picking up places when some were losing their tyres so I had a few nice overtakes both into and out of corners. Finished 5th so happy with that and maybe could have pushed a bit harder but wasn't sure if tyres would last. Restored some of the DR I lost yesterday when the game crashed in the middle of a race.

Second race, Qualified 11th and made a good start but when cars disappeared ahead of me on the grid I could see a pileup coming and just when I got there I hit something and was left facing the wrong way and 2nd last once I got going. I just drive steadily and got up to 5th by the end, should have been higher but 4th place guy looked like he was willing to push me off and there was 4 cars about 5 seconds behind so stayed put but nearly got him 2 corners from home but reckoned he would have rammed me at the last corner. It's a shame that we now have to consider this all the time. Still overall I got lucky with fairly clean races in both races and it was fun working my way back up the field.

Well it was a boring race for the most part which I don't mind, except it leaves me with my nemesis. Me.
Was good to see @Seth_Logan in the race too. (Well I say see.) It does make me a little nervous. First FIA with a GTPer in attendance.
I muck up Andretti a little on my first lap and completely go around turn 3 too slowly. My lap is good enough for 16th or 17. I also came across a very slow Croatian. Thankfully he messes up The Corkscrew and I can get past. My next lap feels much better and I qualify 9th right behind Seth. Gulp! :nervous:
I see the car ahead of Seth move off early and that means the auto anchor is engaged for him. I get away cleanly and Seth realises what happens and immediately moves around the stranded car. I'm not sure if we touched but that was all I saw of him unfortunately. I position myself on the outside of Andretti to avoid any potential punts, accidental or otherwise. None came and I slot in behind those ahead in 7th. I feel like I am faster than the Austrian ahead. He seems to be a little over the place too. Eventually he taps one of the 3 Corvettes at the Corkscrew. No positions change and it takes ages for his 1 second penalty to appear. I pass him at the PZ and go after the Corvette. He seems to be struggling somewhat. A couple of laps later he wobbles out of turn 6 and I pass him up the Rahal. To his credit he pulls in behind and brakes early. Due to the difference in car I pull out a 4 second gap. Those ahead are just too fast. The Cayman is a wonder to drive around here, so nice. I am in my own world and the car decides it wants to liven it up a little. She starts to run wide in a few corners. I get a scare as I almost loose it out of turns 4 and 5 (on different laps). The gap behind closes a little. I keep it nice and calm for the last lap and it works. I bring the car home 5th.
20210407_190007.jpg

Also starting to build a Clean race streak. (Now I've blown it!) Also 5 as is cut off from the picture.
And my highest DR to boot! Been maintaining my rise the last week or so. I'm not sure how long it will last.
upload_2021-4-7_19-31-3.png

A good end to the season.

Well it was a boring race for the most part which I don't mind, except it leaves me with my nemesis. Me.
Was good to see @Seth_Logan in the race too. (Well I say see.) It does make me a little nervous. First FIA with a GTPer in attendance.
I muck up Andretti a little on my first lap and completely go around turn 3 too slowly. My lap is good enough for 16th or 17. I also came across a very slow Croatian. Thankfully he messes up The Corkscrew and I can get past. My next lap feels much better and I qualify 9th right behind Seth. Gulp! :nervous:
I see the car ahead of Seth move off early and that means the auto anchor is engaged for him. I get away cleanly and Seth realises what happens and immediately moves around the stranded car. I'm not sure if we touched but that was all I saw of him unfortunately.

First race (I'm going again at 22:00). I am not strong with this combination of start, car and track. I noticed that all week and I had already decided a Honorary Position (That's what I call all P's from 7th - 10th) would be good enough. I drive an okay qualy at 8th, kind of what I was expecting from how I had been driving in the lobby races.

I'm always nervous at the start of each race and a grid start right in front of @OJBrit (he's faster than me in time trails) does not make it easier! I can relate to the Gulp mate! Had the same one. My second thought was "well at least the chances of getting punted in T1 diminish". But it's weird seeing someone in a race you know. Was my first too and that makes you want to do very well.

Of course I sucked... Got a nice fast start (I think) but as OJ said the guy in front of me jump started. Being this was my 4th (?) experience with a grid start I did not know he would serve a penalty right away. A lesson learnt: pass left! I didn't and although everything went clean (it really was a clean race apart from some bad driving by moi) I was too slow and a Corvette overtook me left and another Cayman right (maybe OJ?).

Anyway, not much to say really. Spun in 3rd-4th lap (@OJBrit could you make the reply available if you have it? Forgot to save), but managed to come back from 17th to 12th on pace alone as soon as I found a rhythm. Which again shows me what I already know: I'm ok on race pace, quite good at tyre saving, not so much on fuel and suck at racecraft, qualifying and general all starts. So there is a lot to learn. I've only just begun.

I really need that "boring space" round me to be at my best. The fact I drove my fastest time in lap 12 says a lot

Report back when there is something to report.

Cheers,

Seth

Last edited:
Anyway, not much to say really. Spun in 3rd-4th lap (@OJBrit could you make the reply available if you have it? Forgot to save),
Sorry I didn't. I only usually save them if something happened I want to see, if there is something I want to clip to show you guys as a vid or picture.
As nothing really noteworthy happened apart from a very easy overtake I didn't need to grab the replay, sorry.
Glad you at least came back through the field somewhat. Should help for later, good luck.

@05XR8 Can confirm run ins with your villain previously and he has always driven like that. He torpedoed my BMB first slot with stuff like that. Raced me and walled me during qually, brake checks, rams and walls people during the race. Sorry to see he is still around.

@Erebus_9 I saw you get done in slot 2, but was so busy covering my own butt I wasnt sure if he really got you or if it was a combo deal. I think a thirsty friend who I definitely trust to race with saw to the end of that issue.

Sad that this sort of thing is pretty much becoming standard racing now. But we are getting to know the names of the regular 🤬 pretty well. In the future I am debating taking preventive measures on a few of them just to help save the field.

Sounds horrible.

A much better result than I could have hoped for at Laguna Seca!

North America Slot 1 - Door 10, ~34.6K DR, Q18, P5

I only needed a 12th to improve my season score, but thought I blew it when I qualified in 18th, but only .975 off pole in this A/S lobby.

Things improved almost immediately as a few cars had problems getting off the line and I managed to emerge from T1 in 10th place. From there, I just ran consistent laps with a little pressure from behind. I made a couple of nice passes and 3 more ahead made mistakes or got penalties to further improve my position.

Brought the 911 home in a very satisfying 5th place and a season-best 142 points. Also gained around 900 DR ~35.5K DR

Pretty happy with that. Looked relatively clean out there for a change, too. Good luck to those still to run!

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210407203954.jpg

Just to be contrary, I went with the Corvette today in the Cayman Cup Classic.

Qualifying didn't go all that great, as I was almost a second off my FP time and landed in P17. But lo and behold, people in front of me forget to turn TC on, others get grid penalties and I end up in the middle of the scrum known as T1. I emerge battered but breathing in P9. The next two laps, however, becomes one of the greatest games of bumper cars I've ever been a part of. Things finally settle down around L4 but I can already tell my tires have taken more abuse than a red-headed stepchild. I'm also losing the rear end in the braking zone for the Corkscrew more than I did in my practice race so I move my BB up to +2 from +3 hoping that the extra control will give me more benefit than I'm going to lose in the extra tire wear later on.

I think that decision may have been right but I'm not totally sure. Like I said, I know my tires already took a beating the first 3-4 laps as it was. Anyway, even though I was never a threat for FL, consistency paid off for me yet again. I got several free positions when people ran wide at T6 after the tire wear kicked in. Although, I did also lose several positions to pushy Porsche people in several of the corners. I moved up as high as P9 and as low as P12. When all was said and done, tire wear did me in on the last lap and I came home in P11. Not bad, I guess, seeing as I'm still getting back into the swing of things. We'll see how the upcoming full season goes.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210407173946.jpg

Last edited:
I hopped in to the first slot with only a couple laps of practice to reacquaint myself with the car and track, so I wasn't at 100% pace unfortunately. Thankfully the lobby was mostly familiar faces, including @Winnie847 and @KiepeYai. In spite of a somewhat sloppy qualifying, I started P10 with a 1:28.6. I needed P8 to get my minimum of 200 points. At the start, 8th place just didn't go when the rest of us did, so I made up a spot immediately. Several more people in front of me ran wide, and before the Corkscrew on Lap 1, I was 5th. I pretty much immediately lost that back to Winnie, and spent most of the rest of the race leading a 5-car train battling for 6th, which became 5th again when one of the frontrunners spun. Because I still hadn't quite gotten reacclimated to the track, I was consistently about half a second slower than what I could do in practice races. I ultimately couldn't keep the full train behind me and dropped a couple more spots on the last 2 laps to finish 7th for 213 points. Still, it was somewhat better than I thought I would do here, and it's now my 2nd best score, which improves my total by 21 points. This makes it 3 races in a row I've been able to do one-and-done.

Last edited:
Got placed Door #20 in a split worth 50 points more than my usual split, messed up my qualifying laps and started 11th, and lost all pace compared to practice races since I could normally lap in the mid-high 1:29s until Lap 9 or so but even with clean air I could barely stay in the mid-1:30s. Ugh...

Was already very frustrated with the driving standards in FIA, but decided to give GTS a final chance. Ended up being the final nail in the coffin for me. Will not participate in FIA again until there's a working penalty system. I know that the removal of the penalty system is much better now for top split, maybe split 2. But it absolutely killed the game for everyone else. :ouch:

A Brazilian 🤬 (nothing against Brazilians but this one was a 🤬) bottled his qualy lap and then defended instead of letting through, and had to overtake him as he went wide with dirty tyres, only for him to divebomb me into T1 when starting the second hotlap! :banghead: Complained in the chat (no insult) and he responded by taking me out on purpose in the race... :mad:

Final slot, same guy in the lobby. I qualify P4 this time, the guy some places behind. But I lost a few places as some people decided to do bump passes as usual and lost time with a Bolivian guy that insisted in fighting for position. Ended up being caught by the dirty Brazilian, who punted me off the track on purpose again! :mad:

This time I didn't call him nice exactly in the chat, not correct I know, but since these were the final two slots and only my second round in this Nations Cup, it basically meant he ruined my season.

Had pace to get a podium or maybe even a win in the splits I was on, but ended up getting completely useless points.

Only fun of the day was sharing a practice lobby with @Winnie847 which was clean and fun. I don't say racing with him because he was too far ahead. :lol: Qualified mid pack and was able to kinda follow his pace once I eventually got up to 2nd, but he was absolutely gone by then, hehe.

Guess I will take a break from simracing as I also quit the ACC league I was on for other reasons. Will see if I may join some of the GTS races organised by GTP members in the future instead of wasting my time with FIA. :gtpflag:

Last edited:
Bumper cars in all three timeslots. Started 16th but got through the field quickly and was on for 3rd or 4th in Slot 1, then messed up a couple of times towards the end and dropped down to 9th. Got pole in Slot 2 - a big surprise considering it was a 200 point room - then promptly got Akademik'd at turn 1. Finished 16th. Slot 3 was the best in the end, 6th place after qualifying pretty badly. Still not enough points to move up in the rankings.

GTP here - long-time lurker on the forum, finally decided to join in. First time I've ever seen this guy, but honestly, his driving was just stupid all race long. Luckily I only got hit by him once or twice but I could see what was going on whenever I looked back. Got what he deserved in the end though, and glad to see Dan gave you that spot back.

Hoping that we don't see this guy around again, or if we do, that he cleans up his act...

Hey, welcome to the forum. It's a great place for sharing/learning/debriefing/ranting.

We were in slot 1 together last night (I got bumped ahead of you due to your final lap penalty), my psn is a longer version of my GTP username. I think maybe we have also been in a Manu race or two this season. I was willing you to beat (and hopefully beach) our academic friend as he ploughed his way through the pack.

@05XR8 's new friend is a serial offender. He has risen higher in DR since the disappearance of the penalty system. He used to simply buffet people around in high B/ Low A lobbies. One of those peanuts who simply has no regard for anyone else and is one of a few names I will take pre-emptive action against if close quarters racing looks inevitable. He was in our first slot as well, but must have been one of the casualties at turn 1 because I never saw him. I started with him beside me and the academic behind me on the grid, so it was a minor miracle I survived the first lap.

Look forward to seeing you on track, say hello if you notice me in a lobby.

Couldn't race yesterday but woke up to the good surprise of still being in the top 10 for my country. Too bad we don't get the S as a reward anymore, it was a nice little incentive.

Looking forward to the official season though, let's hope that racing standards don't fall too low by then!

Last edited:
Back