2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Finally got around to writing my first three race reports:

Manufacturers - Interlagos Gr.4

0vhAuX4.jpg

Strategy: 9M-9S

After a horrible run in the GR Supra Interlagos race, I was not holding much hope for this race. Sure enough, I qualified 16th behind @05XR8, @D_Dragline and @SmellMyCheese. Not good, but I knew that the Citroen's good tyre wear would allow me to undercut a good number of drivers.

On lap 1, Dragline and a Nissan both went wide at turn 4 on cold tyres, leading to both coming together on exit and resulting in Dragline losing control. Dragline wound up punting the Nissan off trying to regain control, while an unlucky Cheese collected Dragline and spun into the wall as a result. Dragline got a 2 seconds penalty for hitting the GT-R while I jumped up to 13th from the carnage.

TMMgsky.jpg

hmgji28.jpg

4ScyGdk.jpg
liEJQSt.jpg

yE2M2KE.jpg

LiA0f8g.jpg

However, I would get a 2 second penalty myself when I tried passing the 86 in 12th. Getting the run on the 86 out of Juncao, I tried taking the inside to make the pass, only to realise too late that I was about to cut the pit entry's runoff and had to push the 86 to the outside to avoid hitting the pit wall.

72XDXZq.jpg
7c9aROe.jpg
PuoLiSx.jpg

What really ticked me off was that he nearly pushed me into the pit wall instead of letting me have the space. As a result, I saw red and blamed the 2 second penalty on him, perceiving that he blocked me down the home straight.

Dragline and I serve our penalties together, with Dragline overcooking his entry into turn 4 and unintentionally pushing off Cheese.
woZIIXW.jpg

J9ofQNo.jpg

Now back down to 16th and still furious about the incident, I set about to clawing back the lost places and settling my score with the 86. With the 86 holding up the pack, I jumped two places on lap 3 diving up the inside on turn 1.
UkY6hnP.jpg

I prepared to repeat the exact same move on the Aston between me and my nemesis on lap 4, only to realise that he was doing the same to the 86. I moved even further inside to avoid hitting the Aston. To the Aston's credit, he saw me coming and let me through instead of turning in. I ended up hitting my nemesis wide by accident and snatching 12th off a very unhappy 86.
0x8L8iN.jpg
YfrMiM4.jpg
fzmar5F.jpg

With my score settled, I pulled away from my nemesis and the pack and turned towards making up ground on the cars ahead.

The next couple of laps were spent catching up to the next pack ahead. Heading into lap 6, I passed a Chinese Lexus before passing a clearly struggling Spacedust in his FF Megane towards the end of Sector 2.
OOAsclO.jpg
dm7l9y7.jpg

The next car ahead was a Japanese McLaren who turned out to have dubious driving standards. He held me up in the second half of lap 7, before moving under braking and turning into me despite me clearly signaling my intent to dive up the inside.

X4r99aR.jpg
rkAQdxx.jpg

With the McLaren caught on the outside, the Lexus and I slipped through, with the Lexus overtaking me into turn 4. We both pulled away from the McLaren and as I was reaching the end of my stint, I stayed behind the Lexus on my in lap.

We caught up to an unwelcome sight: the Indonesian BMW that punted me off back at Autopolis Short. This time round, the BMW had punted the Lexus wide into turn 1 on lap 3, with the Lexus having his attempted revenge backfire the following lap. However, karma would claim the BMW as he understeered wide out of Mergulho on dead Softs and spun off into Juncao.
BHMGUE3.jpg

I boxed for Softs from 7th while the Lexus stayed out for one more lap. Coming out 15th with a clear track ahead, I got my head down to clock some fast laps.

The undercut worked perfectly, as I was back up to 8th after the round of stops and still had no traffic ahead. I would catch and pass two cars towards the end of the race: a Corvette grappling with worn Softs and multiple track penalties, and a VW whose Softs had gone straight off the cliff and down to Atlantis. The latter's poor exit out of Bico de Pato allowed me to steal the inside into Mergulho and hang him out to dry while I claimed 6th for a solid 136 points, finishing ahead of Spacedust, Dragline and Cheese despite starting behind all three. One and done.
uz8WG1w.jpg
lsTVYMU.jpg

m0NzNFU.jpg
NJGutbB.jpg
vQA46DB.jpg

Nations - GR 86 at Autopolis

Ebph6Dz.jpg

The Asia server decided to completely wet the bed and send nearly half the lobby to the disco, leaving behind 11 survivors. I took full advantage of that by bottling the final two corners on my first flying lap and going into the gravel on the inside of the final corner, completely trashing my qualifying and going straight to the back.

But with all Rapture survivors guaranteed to get triple digit points, I was willing to hang back and hopefully make up places from fights ahead of me.

My plan didn't work.

Throughout the race, I only made up one place from a grey 86 running into the gravel at turn 12 on lap 2. I could see the pack ahead of me, but my slow pace and an ill-timed comeback from the grey 86 left me hopelessly adrift after I had dispatched my opponent for good. I reeled in the pack somewhat on the final lap, but it was not enough and I came home 10th for a lowly 113 points.
ZMf6kq2.jpg

Oa425bf.jpg
1cW7Jtb.jpg

See that white car in the distance? That's how far behind I was on the final lap.

riQIbvW.jpg
0ZpajuE.jpg
fyJwPN9.jpg
BysdB2U.jpg

With the worst personal best lap of the entire lobby and the server meltdown, I decided to fold and call it a day.

Manufacturers - Sardegna B Gr.4

Race 1 was a dumpster fire, from a certain Doctor ruining my final flying lap by punting me off at the left turn before the Carousel to people not bothering to brake early for Sector 2's hairpin. I got punted into tapping a unlucky 86 into the gravel at the hairpin, before getting sent into the gravel myself on the penultimate lap. I got so mad I forgot to downshift for the double left kinks on the final lap and went off again, dropping from 12th to 17th.

S4cDh7o.jpg

Despite setting a lap half a second faster in Race 2's qualifying, I ended up starting 16th again. At least I could hope to make up places from the mayhem, if Race 1 was anything to go by.

The start was scruffy, as I braked a lot later than the Aston and 86 ahead, forcing me to try and thread the needle between them.
PgNF0KZ.jpg

I ended up banging doors with the Aston, then the 86. Not a great start, but at least the three of us stayed on track and I got a place off the 86.
8K2rg6h.jpg

Then another Aston behind us drove into the 86 on exit, sending both spinning off into the wall. That probably explained why the 86 accepted my post-race apology so readily - he was mad at the other Aston.
Vn4yIK3.jpg

I tucked in behind the green Aston for the rest of lap 1, before lining up a dive up the inside to take 14th. With 2 places in hand, I focused on chasing the pack ahead, taking 13th off a Jag that went off at the final two corners and was slow down the home straight.
2FqfNwN.jpg

Another two places were gained from a TT taking himself and the Mustang ahead off at Sector 2's hairpin. I think the Mustang was driven by @pennanton, but I'm not sure. He definitely did not have a good time in this race.
f7jgVbm.jpg

On lap 4, the polesitter Corvette hit the throttle too early out of the Carousel, running wide into the gravel and spinning. That promoted me to the top 10, albeit with the aforementioned Jag still hot on my tail.
qJEcVbv.jpg

On lap 5 at the hairpin, another Jag turned in on a Mazda and got a slow exit, allowing me to just get ahead by the double left kinks. Fortunately for me, the Jag backed out and conceded 9th.
4l5Bq9S.jpg

On lap 6, I tried going round the outside of the Mazda at turn 1, but nearly got sent into the gravel on exit and had to back out. The Mazda pulled away from me, despite my efforts to try and close the gap. By this point, I had gotten away from both Jags and was promoted a place from the race leader getting sent to the disco.

By lap 10, the Mazda had gotten into a fight with a familiar GT-R from Interlagos, allowing me to reel both in as I spectated the 4WD duel ahead.
vSds8gN.jpg

One lap later, the Mazda ran into the GT-R taking a middle line into the hairpin, sending the latter wide and handing me 7th, which was where I finished for 125 points.

BV8LCz6.jpg
SL9OpN1.jpg
scW6TPj.jpg
GeU7JFY.jpg

I'm tired, so I'll save the Maggiore and Red Bull Ring reports for another day.
So pleased to be reminded of that putrid (and embarrasing) Interlagos race. :ill:

Tried that Megane and thought I could at least run with the Scirocco. Nope.
Hey, it's all just circling around and the love of automobiles.

.............. Unfortunately several of the people who finished behind me did go again and scored more points than me...:rolleyes:🤣.
I mean, you knew I wasn't going to go lying down with 145 points 😂
........... As noted in the Daily Races forum page- sometimes a break is very good idea. You can get burnt out or stuck in a rut if you're not careful. Taking a fresh look at the 'game' after some time off often helps.
Funny thing is I've been contemplating a break since I sort of lost interest overall with the FIAs and the numbers dropping, particularly from some notable people I usually run into in the lobbies, but this 2 week break wasn't by choice. :lol: I've been busy with either returning to work, real life racing things, projects to be picked up, or getting drunk in NYC. :dunce: To be fair though the people I join in on a group chat for these on a consistent basis is what keeps me coming back, otherwise I'd be yelling at Iberians in iRacing or being a full time Pokémon trainer :sly:

I'm probably gong to give the next Manu race a miss as i've never driven that layout of Blue Moon so would have to learn it and i haven't got much time to practice over the next week.

I took a look at Dragon Trail for the following week and its brutal. Probably going to skip that as well!! :lol: Massive fuel and tire saving race in the Chevy. x10 tires x6 fuel. Gardens has to be one of my least favourite tracks too. Quick practice race and you have to short shift a hell of a lot and front left tire gets destroyed. Congrats to everyone in the cars that are good on fuel and tires 🙂 At this rate i won't be doing FIA again until September! 😖:lol:

I'm probably gong to give the next Manu race a miss as i've never driven that layout of Blue Moon so would have to learn it and i haven't got much time to practice over the next week.

I took a look at Dragon Trail for the following week and its brutal. Probably going to skip that as well!! :lol: Massive fuel and tire saving race in the Chevy. x10 tires x6 fuel. Gardens has to be one of my least favourite tracks too. Quick practice race and you have to short shift a hell of a lot and front left tire gets destroyed. Congrats to everyone in the cars that are good on fuel and tires 🙂 At this rate i won't be doing FIA again until September! 😖:lol:
You should run the race at BMB! It's actually a fun layout to race Gr3 cars on. I had a great time last time we raced there, and the Corvette was really effective as I recall. I ran it on my Alt last time. The track has got a nice flow to it... give it a go!

Without being blunt. When are you going to learn it if not now?
Give it a go.
happy people GIF

To be honest, some of the 'if only' reports are better reading than the 'Qualified pole, won the race' stories. Some people are better story tellers than others, but this is not a literature forum.
Sorry if I bored you but starting on pole and running away from the field really isn't that interesting of a story. I try to do what I can to spice it up a little bit but I guess it's not for everyone. 🤷‍♂️

It's not that hard to pick up and like others have said it's actually nice to drive. I'm sure you'll be competitive with just a few practice laps.

Each lap is just over a minute anyway so even just a 20 minute practice session gets you a lot of laps :)

My one tip is you can cut the final corner like mad without penalty 👍

Sorry if I bored you but starting on pole and running away from the field really isn't that interesting of a story. I try to do what I can to spice it up a little bit but I guess it's not for everyone. 🤷‍♂️
I never said I dislike reading the 'won from pole' stories, I was more letting the other guy know that hard luck/I made mistakes stories are nice to read as well.
I don't read every report in full, but you will never see me comment to say it is a bad write up. If people want to spend the time putting along post together to catalogue their (mis)adventures, then more power to them - it a better contribution to the forum than "PD sucks, I'm buying an Xbox" (that is not pointing any fingers, just a general observation).

Last edited:
I never said I dislike reading the 'won from pole' stories, I was more letting the other guy know that hard luck/I made mistakes stories are nice to read as well.
I don't read every report in full, but you will never see me comment to say it is a bad write up. If people want to spend the time putting along post together to catalogue their (mis)adventures, then more power to them - it a better contribution to the forum than "PD sucks, I'm buying an Xbox" (that is not pointing any fingers, just a general observation).
Just giving you a hard time, more than anything. :cheers:

Really, for me, race reports - good or bad - are about being able to discuss something I enjoy with other people that appreciate it. My wife is incredibly patient and supportive of my hobby but she really couldn't give two bits if I win from the front or finish DFL. The best I'll get is basically a pat on head and a, "Good job, baby." :lol:

Ok ok I’ll take a look at BMB! :lol: Can’t remember there ever being an x1 tire wear race before! Was kinda hoping it was going to be the oval layout as I’ve never finished out of the podiums places on that track:)

If I do enter and have a bad result, I’m blaming you all ;)
There was a 1X tyre wear race last season - 13 laps of Spa in Gr.1 with Racing Softs, Mediums and Hards. Only the Hards were mandatory.

There were 2 strategies for that race: Either spend the entire race on Hards and try to push on limited grip without binning the car or dump the Hards on the first or final lap and go flat out on Softs for the other 12 laps. Both strategies were viable, but I think most went for the latter strategy in Asia. The risk of binning it on the no stop was too much, I think.

Will miss Blue Moon also, I am really bad with slipstream racing, and think that is pretty much vital to be good at that for this track...

Will give Dragon Trial a go i think, as i will likely not have the oppertunity to do many races due to working evening shifts and (hopefully) going on holiday. Sad to also miss Tsukuba due to a diving training (though the training should be fun).
But really want to do at least four races, and defenitely want to do the final race at Fuji!

But regarding Dragon Trail; as a pad racer, and using automatic gears, fuel saving especially is a weak point for me. I hope that my lobby will be filled with Yankee guzzlers and FF cars, then I might have a chance. Will have to use fuel mapping to be able to do a one stopper there (9 laps M, 9 laps H). Does anybody here have any tips to fuel save at this specific track will driving automatic gears?

But regarding Dragon Trail; as a pad racer, and using automatic gears, fuel saving especially is a weak point for me. I hope that my lobby will be filled with Yankee guzzlers and FF cars, then I might have a chance. Will have to use fuel mapping to be able to do a one stopper there (9 laps M, 9 laps H). Does anybody here have any tips to fuel save at this specific track will driving automatic gears?
I haven't tried this yet, but I would probably start by using FM 1 for the front straight, through the chicane and through the next straight leading up to the hairpin. Switch to FM 3 or FM 4 just before the hairpin, and keep it there until you straighten up at the front stretch again when you go back to FM 1.

I can't remember which direction this race is so just do the opposite if it is the other direction. FM 1 from the hairpin to the end of the front straight, and then FM 3 or 4 through the 4 brothers and esses until the hairpin.

When I've used fuel mapping with auto in the past I have tried to limit the FM change to 2 specific spots on the track like that so that it isn't too much to remember and have to fiddle with.

So who’s running something other than the Supra at DTS Nations?

I’m probably going with the RSR. It’s much more comfortable for me through the CoD and downhill esses.

So who’s running something other than the Supra at DTS Nations?

I’m probably going with the RSR. It’s much more comfortable for me through the CoD and downhill esses.
I’ll be taking the Beetle. Feels more stable and responsive and has better tyre wear than the Supra, even though I’ll have to short shift to make it to the end. Shaved 4 seconds off my custom race time compared to the Supra.

Leaning toward M6. I’ve never run this car in FIA before and would like to use it. I like the fuel mileage and tire wear with it. Still considering Lexus though too.

Ran a Race C at Bathurst in the 4C. Not as bad as I thought. Car was faster than I thought as well. Did scrape the wall entering The Dipper. That short wheelbase is the blessing and curse. Won't be ideal at DTS, but maybe tyre wear will keep me in it. I'll see what I can do.

Edit: dagnabbit. again... Screen clicked over and the DFN pops up.

Last edited:
This track is far harder this way IMO so taking the Genesis and going 1H/9M/10M and not going to qualify so as to try and avoid problems on the first lap. If I can not take any engine damage from COD I will call this a success. I should have been about Q7 of 17, but would I have got a decent lap if I had tried?
7th from 14 at the end so a decent result and no engine damage. Very close to the fastest lap with only the winner having a faster lap. maybe one stop would be a little faster, but I'm happy it was fairly clean. Had to pass a few people, but most muck up the last chicane enough to either pass them there or get a run on them. So no real racing for me which is always a shame.

Opted to run the GT-R for my first FIA race in DR A.

Seeded 10th for the race, qualified in 16th.

Started the race on Hards, avoided the chaos at CoD on Lap 1 to move up to 13th. Ran as high as 11th before my stop at the end of Lap 10. Came home in 12th with some good battles with a couple of guys I've raced before down in Dr B.

One and Done for the night.

Going in to this race my DR is about 12k higher than usual. So I end up door 5 in a split I wouldn’t normally be good enough for. There were several GTPers in there including @ClanFever. I’m the only RSR in the lobby among a bevy of Supras and a few Corvettes. I’m either a genius or an idiot.

Qualifying goes ok as my first “banker” is good enough to get me Q8 after I have to pull out of my second lap due to catching the guy in front.

I start on hards and feel like I’m running good race pace until I run off at the bottom of the esses on lap 6 and lose 3 spots. I slot in behind Clanfever and unintentionally give him a bump into the CoD when he brakes where I didn’t expect it. My bad but he holds it and I lift to keep him ahead. Guys who started on mediums ahead start pitting lap 7 and I lose track of where I might be in the pecking order. I go in at the end of lap 10 in p4, clanfever is p3 and stays out.

I rejoin in p6 and get head down to try and build a gap to the pack behind. When clanfever pits it gives me a chance to see how my strat is tracking and, unexpectedly, I go by while he’s in the pits and it’s p5. On about lap 16 P3 hits the CoD and I get past as he’s ghosted. I keep it together for the last 4 laps and bring home p4!

195 points, my highest ever. Needless to say, one and done.

The RSR is a viable option here people.

Decided to take the Yeetle out for a drive as I can not handle the Supra. Come in door 10 in top split. Not exactly thrilled, but ready to troll.
Get a guy wrecking on his outlap in qualifying who then uses my slipstream all the first flying lap and starts trying to pass on lap 2. I manage an ok time for p14 out of 16, but might have made it 1 spot better if I nailed it.

Take it easy to start, I mess up the final chicane a few times to lost the slipstream, and get passed by a much faster driver who wrecked in qualifying. Settle in to p15. Then a crash by someone. They catch and pass. Then another. Then pitting starts. I decide to run 11 laps on hards, but this doesnt work. My lap 11 I am missing apexes and getting hounded and passed by the faster drivers on fresh rubber, killing my lap massively. I come out in last, almost 2 seconds behind the car in front. I start catching, thrm promptly clip the chicane for damage, costing me a solid 8 seconds.

I still try to lap fast and hope for accidents. The guy who hounded me in qualifying wrecks and quits. I get gifted a chance at p13 when the 2 in front pit for a 2 stop. It comes down to the last lap. I get caught and passed heading into the last lap. The guy then brakes slightly earlier than I was expecting so even being ready for it I screw up and have to take to the sand to avoid a wreck. It allows the guy 5 seconds back to pass me as well. Dead last.

I felt other than those 2 big mistakes I didnt drive that bad so didnt make a fool of myself, but sucks with my missed chances. Time to move on. And beware the Supras, they are lightning fast in the straight.

Made it in. Hey! Another 4C is on the grid. :)

RCZ, Genesis and C7. Everyone else are Supras. 19 cars total.

Edit: qualified on RH. only 1.5 from pole and starting 17/19. Thought it'd be worse. Other 4C starting P2.

Don't even know what strat Gy to do as I'm starting on the RH. Here we go.

Last edited:

One woman's trash is another man's treasure. I love DT Gardens in reverse as it's technical as hell. And with the tyre wear and fuel, it resembles Tokyo last season and I LOVED that race!

In fact, at my level (B) the ignorance is usually quite high, so if this is in fact a one stop with fuel save, the number of people not taking note of that will be stellar. They'll be going all out resulting in 2 stops and easy passes once again. Just like Tokyo.

BMB A doesn't have difficult corners with high spin chances. Less practice required, unless you want to drive it fast.

Last edited:
Happy with this one
IMG_20210731_205420.jpg

IMG_20210731_205424.jpg

1RH/11RM/8RM Had a couple fastest laps in the final stint.
Caught the Peugeot VGT and was going to pass, but the Supra behind had ghosted ahead of us. Peugeot VGT went thru, but I waited until the Supra toured the PZ. The VGT had also gone wide at the exit of the final chicane. It kept hugging the inside line for the final 6 laps. Could have forced a pass on T1 exit each lap, but just chilled. 13th from pretty much last, was fine for me.

Some nice fresh air after my first stop. Helped me find the limits of the the 4C.
End of second stint, cars on fresh rubber needed a lap to catch me. Signaledand tried to give P7 the position, but that player backed way off at the COD and gained so much time at the downhill esses, I misstimed letting him through. He got a .5 for either too much curb or maybe bumping into me. Not sure.

Anyway, the 4C was super stable over the whole lap. I did have an oops moment when numb finger came into play.
From Lap 6 to lap 20, waited until the front straight for relief. Was grasping the controller tight, just expecting the 4C to bite at any moment. Never happened. Really really fun car in this combo.

Back