2021 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 341 comments
So IMSA decided that they would make qualifying for the 24 more exciting by making it into a sprint race. Ok, I’m game. Can’t wait to sit down Sunday and get my first dose of 2021 Sports car rac...
View attachment 986521
Oh... never mind I guess...

I'm guessing you didn't take advantage of that voucher that Michelin offered last year? That's the only reason I even am able to enjoy IMSA coverage on NBC Gold otherwise I would've just resorted to...other means.

Last edited:
Cars on track, I'll take it. The wet conditions were interesting.

I'm looking forward to the season.

So there are 7 LMP3 cars entered in the Rolex 24 hour race, I wonder how many will actually finish since this is their first time attempting a 24 hour race?

I was apparently in such a big hurry to post the news I put it in last year's thread (it probably didn't help that I was on the phone). :lol:

It will be interesting to see how they have it set up. Hopefully they keep the performance of the 2 classes even as the all-pro lineups lineups should be enough to give them an advantage over the pro-am cars.

Not a shocker. As long as my Corvette makes the jump I'm a happy boy!

Same here. I'm just happy I managed to convince my cousin, who is a die-hard Chevy guy, to come to Road America with me this year before the C8.R gets neutered (not to mention the glorious sounding 911 RSR).

We will see a GT3 ‘Vette, but I don’t think it’ll be a factory effort. I think time has effectively been called on factory GT efforts.

But who cares about factory teams. GTD has been great for the last 7 seasons. Now scrap the Amatuer rated driver (to be fair, as of late many are pros who just haven’t been given the proper rating), and it’s just going to go up.

I think in 2023, we’ll have 15-20 prototypes and probably the same in GT. So great car counts, and more than half of them will be contenders. So win-win. Prototype priced GT is the factories fault. And maybe not seeing such in GTD will keep the counts high, and the competition tight.

I was apparently in such a big hurry to post the news I put it in last year's thread (it probably didn't help that I was on the phone). :lol:

It will be interesting to see how they have it set up. Hopefully they keep the performance of the 2 classes even as the all-pro lineups lineups should be enough to give them an advantage over the pro-am cars.

Same here. I'm just happy I managed to convince my cousin, who is a die-hard Chevy guy, to come to Road America with me this year before the C8.R gets neutered (not to mention the glorious sounding 911 RSR).

I really didn't have any interest in going back to Road Atlanta this October until I saw this news. Now I think I want to go just to see the C8.R even though there probably won't be any grid walk or paddock access. I think I need to go just to see GTLM one last time anyway. I'll look back at GTLM kind of the same way as I did when the Audi R18 and Peugeot 908 finished up at Road Atlanta, I was lucky to have seen those cars in their heyday. It was even better when the Ford GT's were running in that class.

Last edited:
I really didn't have any interest in going back to Road Atlanta this October until I saw this news. Now I think I want to go just to see the C8.R even though there probably won't be any grid walk or paddock access. I think I need to go just to see GTLM one last time anyway. I'll look back at GTLM kind of the same way as I did when the Audi R18 and Peugeot 908 finished up at Road Atlanta, I was lucky to have seen those cars in their heyday. It was even better when the Ford GT's were running in that class.

I got to see the C8.R at Mid-Ohio last year. It was a real bummer not to have the grid walk/paddock access though, as I took my son with me for his first race. Now that GTLM is skipping Mid-Ohio this year, I'm toying with the notion of going to Watkins Glen, but I really want that paddock/grid access so my son can see the cars up close. Not sure if I'm going yet or not.

LMP3 is gonna be interesting tomorrow. They were mixed in with the GTDs during the qualy race, and IMSA didn’t do anything to help them out with the BOP adjustments.

Last edited:
We will see a GT3 ‘Vette, but I don’t think it’ll be a factory effort. I think time has effectively been called on factory GT efforts.

But who cares about factory teams. GTD has been great for the last 7 seasons. Now scrap the Amatuer rated driver (to be fair, as of late many are pros who just haven’t been given the proper rating), and it’s just going to go up.

I think in 2023, we’ll have 15-20 prototypes and probably the same in GT. So great car counts, and more than half of them will be contenders. So win-win. Prototype priced GT is the factories fault. And maybe not seeing such in GTD will keep the counts high, and the competition tight.

Callaway might do it.
Corvette team has said they’ve been looking at GT3 rules for 2022-2023, that was in a sportscars360 article last year. Not an easy conversion but they can do it.

Willing to bet GM ditches the cluster**** that is current GT racing all together, and Team Corvette will just field a C8-inspired DPI 2.0 that will replace the Cadillac's in 2023. What happens with Pratt and Miller? I have no idea.

So, is there going to be a dedicated thread for todays big race, or do we just chat here instead?

Also, does anyone know if the ImsaTV is visible on europe for free or are there alternate free streams available?

So, is there going to be a dedicated thread for todays big race, or do we just chat here instead?

Also, does anyone know if the ImsaTV is visible on europe for free or are there alternate free streams available?
During the last weeks' quali and yesterdays final practice session it was 'free to watch'. At least in NL. According to the IMSA channel also for the race (and don't forget to disable ad-blocker). Tonight (21:30 CET) I switch to ZiggoTV

Last edited:
During the last weeks' quali and yesterdays final practice session it was 'free to watch'. At least in NL. According to the IMSA channel also for the race (and don't forget to disable ad-blocker). Tonight (21:30 CET) I switch to ZiggoTV

Hopefully that Imsa TV works here in Finland.

Edit: seems like it should work, disabled my adblock and got hagerty commercial right away.
Now just need for the official stream to kick up.

Last edited:
Green flag, green flag, green, green, green! Let's get it! Enjoy the 2020 24 Hours of Daytona, folks!

Last edited:
Man, run off track by a GTD since then too. Unlucky start for the 79. Gotta imagine a penalty coming for the stuff before the flag though.

Full Course Yellow as the #79 Porsche RSR's rear bumper and diffuser falls off.

Last edited:
First yellow for Porsche parts laying around the track.

Last edited:
Back