2021 NTT Indy Car SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 291 comments

Dotini

(Banned)
United States
Seattle
CR80_Shifty
This column by Robin Miller contains highly interesting cost information comparing 2021 costs to 1994.
https://racer.com/2021/03/22/miller-the-cost-of-doing-business/

The good news:
Obviously, the costs have skyrocketed in the past 27 years and the purses have failed miserably to keep pace ($30,000 to win a race), but teams seem satisfied that IndyCar and Dallara are doing their best to control costs.

The team from ’94 figured it was going to take almost $3.5 million to run a competitive operation, while today’s figure is close to $6.5 million per car. But the most impressive numbers are the 22-26 cars (besides Indy) that will be at every race in 2021. Owning an IndyCar looks like a non-profit organization, yet you couldn’t tell it from the entry list.

TV Schedule as of March 3.

Date Race/Track Network Time (ET)
Sun Apr 18 Barber Motorsports Park NBC 3 p.m.
Sun Apr 25 Streets of St. Petersburg NBC 12 p.m.
Sat May 1 Texas Motor Speedway 1 NBCSN 7 p.m.
Sun May 2 Texas Motor Speedway 2 NBCSN 5 p.m.
Sat May 15 Indianapolis (Road Course) NBC 2:30 p.m.
Sun May 30 Indianapolis 500 NBC 11 a.m.
Sat Jun 12 Belle Isle Park/Detroit 1 NBC 2 p.m.
Sun Jun 13 Belle Isle Park/Detroit 2 NBC 12 p.m.
Sun. Jun 20 Road America NBCSN 12 p.m.
Sun Jul 4 Mid-Ohio NBC 12 p.m.
Sun Jul 11 Toronto NBCSN 12 p.m.
Sun Aug 8 Nashville NBCSN 5:30 p.m.
Sat Aug 14 Indianapolis (Road Course) NBCSN 12:30 p.m.
Sat Aug 21 World Wide Tech. Raceway NBCSN 8 p.m.
Sun Sep 12 Portland Int’l Raceway NBC 3 p.m.
Sun Sept. 19 Laguna Seca NBC 3 p.m.
Sun Sep 26 Long Beach NBCSN 3 p.m.
Note: dates and networks are subject to change

The Cast of Teams and Drivers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_IndyCar_Series

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is $6.5m not actually that much to run a top-flight international racing team? Obviously you're not going to make much money or score many points, but it doesn't seem that expensive to me.

Is it just me, or is $6.5m not actually that much to run a top-flight international racing team? Obviously you're not going to make much money or score many points, but it doesn't seem that expensive to me.

It's really not, essentially a rounding error for an F1 team and the bodywork bill for NASCAR, but speaks volumes to the state of racing nowadays that it's so tough to get that together to go racing at a professional level.

On the upside, 34-37 entries for the 500 says that maybe this IndyCar thing might be catching back on.
https://racer.com/2021/03/23/pruett-bumping-back-on-the-cards-for-the-2021-indy-500-field/

JPM_86_Indy-500_v4-3Q_v2_1920x1080.jpg

Montoya to run Revson's number 86 at Indy.

https://racer.com/2021/04/05/montoya-to-run-revsons-no-86-at-indy-500/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

Latest schedule for NBC broadcasts.

By Marshall Pruett | April 5, 2021 3:22 PM

NBC Sports has finalized the air times and channels where the 2021 NTT IndyCar Season will be broadcast, and of the 17 races on tap, nine will be featured on the NBC network. The eight remaining rounds are scheduled for its NBCSN cable outlet. In a new development, NBC’s Peacock live streaming platform will play host to practice and qualifying sessions, as well as significant coverage of action leading up to the Indy 500 as part of 120 hours of digital presentations.

Altogether, NBC Sports expects to deliver more than 165 hours of broadcast and streaming content.

NBC Sports also confirmed its on-air talent for the season, noting its commentary team “will include Leigh Diffey (play-by-play), Townsend Bell (analyst), and Paul Tracy (analyst) as well as pit reporters Marty Snider, Kelli Stavast, Dave Burns, Kevin Lee, and Dillon Welch.”

NBC Schedule & Times
Sun., April 18 Barber Motorsports Park NBC 3 p.m.
Sun., April 25 Streets of St. Petersburg NBC 12 p.m.
Sat., May 15 Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Road Course) NBC 2:30 p.m.
Sun., May 30 The 105th Indianapolis 500 NBC 11 a.m.
Sat., June 12 Raceway at Belle Isle Park/Detroit – Race 1 NBC 2 p.m.
Sun., June 13 Raceway at Belle Isle Park/Detroit – Race 2 NBC 12 p.m.
Sun., July 4 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course NBC 12 p.m.
Sun., Sept. 12 Portland International Raceway NBC 3 p.m.
Sun, Sept. 19 WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca NBC 3 p.m.

NBCSN Schedule & Times
Sat., May 1 Texas Motor Speedway – Race 1 NBCSN 7 p.m.
Sun., May 2 Texas Motor Speedway – Race 2 NBCSN 5 p.m.
Sun., June 20 Road America NBCSN 12 p.m.
Sun., July 11 Streets of Toronto NBCSN 12 p.m.
Sun., Aug. 8 Streets of Nashville NBCSN 5:30 p.m.
Sat., Aug. 14 Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Road Course) NBCSN 12:30 p.m.
Sat., Aug. 21 World Wide Technology Raceway NBCSN 8 p.m.
Sun, Sept. 26 Streets of Long Beach NBCSN 3 p.m.

Last edited:
Good news for any Aussies out there who have either Foxtel or Kayo. With both to show all practice and qualifying sessions live.

More good news for Aussies;

By Robin Miller | April 9, 2021 8:07 PM

It’s always refreshing to hear a rookie’s views on Indianapolis after his first serious running and it makes it even better when they adapt quickly to 225 mph and blind corners.

So it’s fair to say that Scott McLaughlin loves everything he’s seen so far at West 16th Street.
He logged 195 laps (most overall) on Friday, wound up 18th overall at 223.808 mph but had the second best no-tow speed of 221.153 mph in his Pennzoil Chevy. He drafted with team Penske teammates Josef Newgarden, Will Power and Simon Pagenaud like a veteran and seems just about as comfortable as possible considering he’s never raced on an oval.
“I love this place,” said the 27-year-old Kiwi. “I really liked practicing at Texas and coming back here I thought it might be something similar, but nothing prepares you for this place. The sensation of speed, hearing the wind, setting up for the corners and the way it funnels down doing into Turn 1, I can’t imagine what it’s like when this joint is packed.

“There’s no place like it and I’m so excited to be part of it.”

McLaughlin, who came highly recommended from former CART owner Steve Horne, already owns the right attitude.

“I know I’ve got one of the best cars here so I didn’t get flat out on Thursday until about the seventh lap. Watching Rinus’ shunt was probably the best thing before I rolled out because it put me on the edge of my seat and made me feel everything. It’s something similar to Bathhurst because you don’t sleep on that place and obviously, you don’t sleep on this place.

“When I took my ROP it was a calm day and the last two days the wind has been tricky.”

He’s also got the benefit of Rick Mears in his ear and his head.

“I’m so lucky because Rick is just a great guy to talk with about everything,” McLaughlin added. “He’s got some quaint expressions like feeling the air, trusting your ass and working on your pattern, not your line.”

McLaughlin has done iRacing at IMS, but says that was just a good introduction.

“You’ve got a reset button on your computer, you don’t have one those out here and I know I’ve got a great team and I just need to get some confidence.”

He’s had some extensive homework too.

“I’ve watched the last few Indy 500s from the on-board cameras to get an idea of what all the wash is like and how you have to time your passes and you just have to be so thorough and precise,” McLaughlin said. “I just can’t wait until next month. I’ve got a motorhome, great teammates and I’m driving for Roger Penske.”

https://racer.com/2021/04/09/mclaughlin-embraces-first-serious-running-at-indy/

Is driver names on the car a new thing this year? I've seen some pics, particularly of Penske cars, that appear to have the driver name on the front of the aeroscreen. I don't remember that last year, but not sure if that's just a render or an actual thing?

Last edited:
Is driver names on the car a new thing this year? I've seen some pics, particularly of Penske cars, that appear to have the driver name on the front of the aeroscreen. I don't remember that last year, but not sure if that's just a render or an actual thing?

Penske had the names there last year, I can’t recall if any other teams did as well. I’m kind of surprised it hasn’t been made a rule yet since it seems like a good idea.

Penske had the names there last year, I can’t recall if any other teams did as well. I’m kind of surprised it hasn’t been made a rule yet since it seems like a good idea.

I agree. I would almost think the series would want to normalize it like Nascar with their window banner.

Remember around the early naughts, they tried to put the names on the rear wing, which sadly never caught on (probably because that’s a good spot to put a sponsor logo).

A very good showing by Grosjean. We know he can drive the car solo really well. Let’s just hope when he gets into the pack, that same skill remains.

I’m starting to worry about the race in Belle Isle. I’ve already written off Toronto, and given Detroit is one of the hardest hit places in the world with COVID, I’m wondering if the city will go ahead. Especially as they should be starting construction about this time, and I haven’t seen any news about the race (really needed my racing fix and that’s the closest drive).

I keep getting more and more back into this series. Rooting for my fellow Ohioan Graham Rahal, but also excited to see how Jimmie Johnson fairs. I'm taking my son to see them in Mid-Ohio this year. Let's go racing!

Edit: the big one lap one

Last edited:
Hey, GTPlaneteers!

It is great seeing IndyCar return! I've seen most of the race from when it was Lap 14. Jimmie Johnson's car looks lovely. As someone who loves blue and gold, it looks impressive for the ex 7-time NASCAR Cup champ. Anyhow... loving the action!

One heckuva race! Big win for Palou (and well done, that was a good run!) but I think Power may have just put everyone on notice for the title run.

One heckuva race! Big win for Palou (and well done, that was a good run!) but I think Power may have just put everyone on notice for the title run.

Nothing new from Power or Dixon. Good calls from good teams. O’Ward is the one in that race saying, “Hey, boys!” And once McLaren figure it out like their F1 counterpart, he will be a definite threat.

Nothing new from Power or Dixon. Good calls from good teams. O’Ward is the one in that race saying, “Hey, boys!” And once McLaren figure it out like their F1 counterpart, he will be a definite threat.

There were some really strong performances by many today. Power is a notoriously slow starter, which usually kills any title hopes dead before April is over, especially when he gets behind, starts pressing and the mistakes start piling up. O'Ward and SPAM will be a threat of course, and there were some pretty strong drives from a lot of drivers today. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see a race win from nearly every team this year (and that would be awesome!). But at the end Dixon's main threat will be WP, if he can keep it together.

Favourite quote of the broadcast, Paul Tracy on Bourdais right here :lol:

Back