2022 Nissan Frontier

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 47 comments
Screw the next Z, let's bury that thread with the next FRONTIER!

https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/05/2021-nissan-frontier-teased-video/

THIS is what the people want!

Small and offroad-capable trucks are all the rage right now. Everybody wants one in North America. The call of the wild is strong and we've all got an itch for exploration. The proof is in the fact that all the cool 6x5.5 wheels are out of stock! Hell, even I have taken a hiatus from cars (I really miss that RX-7) and switched it for a Toyota Sequoia instead.

But for the past long while, Toyota and Jeep have been basically the only truly offroad capable trucks in the American and Canadian markets. Some companies were victims of poor timing or general oversight, like Mitsubishi who gave up on the Montero a decade too soon, or Honda who made the new Passport a softroader, and frankly GM who did the same with the new Blazer. Others have been highly successful - Ford's Raptor and late-to-the-game Ranger and upcoming Bronco, GM's ZR2 and Trail Boss trims, and Ram's Rebel and Power Wagon.

Nissan has been wallowing in the middle for a while. They make trucks, but they kinda gave up on them at some point along the way. They have a newish Titan, but it was literally outdated as soon as it came on the market. They brought back the Pathfinder but as a softroading mom-mobile (I've driven them, they're awful in every way). And the Frontier, which has actually had the Pro-4X offroad package for years but was underwhelming from the get-go. [I just googled Nissan's website and apparently their current Frontier slogan is "Style that's off the map". Hilariously appropriate given that everybody has forgotten about the truck.] The current truck debuted in 2005 which means the steering wheel hasn't changed in fifteen years! Crap engine, crap transmission, crap interior, crap technology, crap capability. This is what Nissan left us with after they stopped building the Xterra which - talk about an oversight - is currently a very popular offroader on the used market. Maybe the reason Nissan is floundering (again) is because they're not raking in like $5,000 of profit on every single 4Runner they sell like Toyota is.

But there's a new one coming and it's got a tough shape. Let's hope customers haven't forgotten that Nissan makes trucks because the Toyota Tax is getting out of hand.

Screw the next Z, let's bury that thread with the next FRONTIER!

https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/05/2021-nissan-frontier-teased-video/

THIS is what the people want!

Small and offroad-capable trucks are all the rage right now. Everybody wants one in North America. The call of the wild is strong and we've all got an itch for exploration. The proof is in the fact that all the cool 6x5.5 wheels are out of stock! Hell, even I have taken a hiatus from cars (I really miss that RX-7) and switched it for a Toyota Sequoia instead.

But for the past long while, Toyota and Jeep have been basically the only truly offroad capable trucks in the American and Canadian markets. Some companies were victims of poor timing or general oversight, like Mitsubishi who gave up on the Montero a decade too soon, or Honda who made the new Passport a softroader, and frankly GM who did the same with the new Blazer. Others have been highly successful - Ford's Raptor and late-to-the-game Ranger and upcoming Bronco, GM's ZR2 and Trail Boss trims, and Ram's Rebel and Power Wagon.

Nissan has been wallowing in the middle for a while. They make trucks, but they kinda gave up on them at some point along the way. They have a newish Titan, but it was literally outdated as soon as it came on the market. They brought back the Pathfinder but as a softroading mom-mobile (I've driven them, they're awful in every way). And the Frontier, which has actually had the Pro-4X offroad package for years but was underwhelming from the get-go. [I just googled Nissan's website and apparently their current Frontier slogan is "Style that's off the map". Hilariously appropriate given that everybody has forgotten about the truck.] The current truck debuted in 2005 which means the steering wheel hasn't changed in fifteen years! Crap engine, crap transmission, crap interior, crap technology, crap capability. This is what Nissan left us with after they stopped building the Xterra which - talk about an oversight - is currently a very popular offroader on the used market. Maybe the reason Nissan is floundering (again) is because they're not raking in like $5,000 of profit on every single 4Runner they sell like Toyota is.

But there's a new one coming and it's got a tough shape. Let's hope customers haven't forgotten that Nissan makes trucks because the Toyota Tax is getting out of hand.

@R1600Turbo is not gonna be happy you posted this first. :lol:

I actually like the current frontier...it's probably the most simple vehicle you can buy in North America. Part of me wishes they kept building it, for people who want basically a tractor, alongside the presumably much fancier new one.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/07/2021-nissan-frontier-spied/

NissanFrontier.proto07.KGP_.jpg

NissanFrontier.proto16.KGP_.jpg

saw one recently and it has a very subtle interior. i found that rival pickups like the ranger or amarok have better finishes inside even tho they have some hard plastics.

Very interested to see the off-road trims and accessories. And hopefully they'll smarten up and make a new Xterra based on the Frontier chassis.

Hopefully it will give the Tacoma a run for its money... I dont feel the Ford and Colorado were able to properly dethrone the Taco... The Toy is still the top dog of Mid-size truck...

I am wishing this new Frontier a good start...

This is the Navara that the world is about to get refreshed...
The US bound Frontier will look similar to this below:

o2ppil58x6u1fx4mjinf.jpg

https://jalopnik.com/teaser-appears-to-confirm-leaked-photos-of-next-gen-nis-1846174632
Looks like the Frontier will have a more basic "American" horizontal design treatment rather than the angled sporty design which is (weirdly) so popular in other markets. No clue why they go for such a tall and skinny looking design. The Frontier's face will look more like the GMC Canyon than a Navara in terms of layout.

Speaking of which the facelifted Ranger got spied yesterday...

Last edited:
Despite being ancient, I still think the Frontier is the best looking truck on the market. My neighbor has a Pro-4x crew cab, and I always think, that's a good looking truck. I hope they keep the proportions similar (it appears they are) for the next version. Any word as to whether or not it will retain an optional manual transmission?

Despite being ancient, I still think the Frontier is the best looking truck on the market. My neighbor has a Pro-4x crew cab, and I always think, that's a good looking truck. I hope they keep the proportions similar (it appears they are) for the next version. Any word as to whether or not it will retain an optional manual transmission?
I'm going to guess no since they did drop the manual for 2020 (at least in the US).

The Front received the best design treatment...
The rear a little bit....

The interior looks fairly standard and comparable to the competition (Tacoma)...
The exterior side... it's practically a Tacoma... but it isn't their fault, i suspect there isn't many options in designing a mid-size truck...

I hope they will offer a long bed version ? Would it be a first in the segment ?
I love the Toyota Tacoma, but i am just so sick that it remains the undisputed king of this category for decades now, we need a proper competitor, and i hope this Nissan Frontier is it...

Ford and Chevrolet came close, but no there are so many features missing to edge out... I wished Ford and Chevy went the extra mile and dethrone the Tacoma...

Let's see what this Frontier can do...

Latest Posts

Back