2022 Nissan Frontier

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 47 comments
It's certainly USDM truck, that's for sure.
This is the way.

I might have sounded sarcastic before but I actually am pretty excited for this Pro-4X. I'm excited for the competition it will give to Toyota (and maybe help drive prices down), I'm excited about the styling that is better than the Tacoma in my opinion, I'm excited that it'll still likely be a less expensive alternative, I'm excited for my IG to be flooded with modified ones by next week. I probably won't actually get one - I've been heavy breathing over Broncos for a while now - but I probably would get this over a Tacoma.

My only reservation is about the evolutionary chassis and the lack of wheelbase options. Apparently the wheelbase wasn't extended and I'm not sure that's a good idea. Perhaps they'll eventually have a longer bed version but that's not really my gripe. The problem is with interior space which keeps increasing in every generation of all trucks, and with the departure angle which looks pretty shallow. But overall I'm pretty happy with it and the styling is great, modern but tough and not over-styled.

Now we just need to see a new Xterra to really put the pressure on Toyota...

Walk closer to the camera buddy I double dog dare you

Last edited:
Is it weird that I’m excited? I’m more excited for the prospect of a new Xterra but I always did respect the Frontier and am glad it’s back. The Tacoma is frankly not good enough and the lack of competition is largely why.

Is it just me or did that paint booth look more like powder coating?

I want to see the damn configurator! I'm really interested to see what sort of aftermarket integration and support they've gathered for the truck. I'm sure there will eventually be a decent amount of support, likely much more than exists for my old Sequoia. I don't really want to get rid of this truck but I would love to have something newer, especially if I can deck it out without much issue. Within a year I should finally be in a position where I can do that - either I save a bunch of money and do it to this Sequoia but struggle with old-car issues, or I do it to a new truck and not have to worry about old-car issues for years. I've already got a bit of body rust to address but besides that I'm not sure I'll be wanting to keep this thing five years from now unless it proves to be a really good platform. I mean, it is a good platform I just haven't really had the opportunity to use it yet.

Last edited:
It always fascinates me how these companies can make different models for different markets.

We dont get this or the Titan. The gasoline truck has all but disappeared here.

Even smaller single cab trucks have gone turbo diesel. Over here these little point. Even the worst diesel truck gets around us 30 mpg even around town for a 4,400lb weight.

I see this nissan 3.8 v6 as a toyota low stress motor.

300hp isnt that much out of a DI v6 but it'll last literally decades all things being equal.

It always fascinates me how these companies can make different models for different markets.

We dont get this or the Titan. The gasoline truck has all but disappeared here.

Even smaller single cab trucks have gone turbo diesel. Over here these little point. Even the worst diesel truck gets around us 30 mpg even around town for a 4,400lb weight.

I see this nissan 3.8 v6 as a toyota low stress motor.

300hp isnt that much out of a DI v6 but it'll last literally decades all things being equal.
Speaking of lasting decades, diesel engines are quite good at that. But they're still not popular here - Ford is dropping the current F-150 diesel due to low sales. They make sense in several applications like the Wrangler for use as a long-range overlanding engine but that market is rather small, even for the Wrangler. People just don't want them. Europe used to be a diesel haven but due to particulate emissions they have also fallen severely out of favor. Here in the US, a lot of truck people treat their trucks as muscle cars which sounds ridiculous literally and figuratively. Otherwise stock trucks with big loud rambling exhausts is one of the things I most hate about America, actually. It's right up there next to Harleys and the confederate flag. Oh and diesels, you can't give an American a diesel without idiotic things happening. Thank god they never really caught on.

Last edited:
Yeah I dont know how these different markets seem to work out.

All our mid sized trucks come from Thailand Japan or China. And they arent small... they are 2 to 2.25 ton and they large enough they are hard to get around urban areas. They dont actually carry that much... I think they would struggle to move 2,000lb in the tray and would have issues pulling 6,000lb given most are 2.0 turbo four cyl things on a 6 spd automatic. I hear all RHD markets seem to love these diesel things.

We also get the RAM 1500 and F150 as a special RHD conversion but these are $75,000 usd plus. These still run whatever motor was in originally ie. ecoboost 3.5 v6.

So its surprising to me that there's still some mid sized gasoline trucks out there.

To me 18mpg is kind of not good if its not a V8 sports car or sports saloon but then we pay $1.25 a litre.

I think they would struggle to move 2,000lb in the tray and would have issues pulling 6,000lb given most are 2.0 turbo four cyl things on a 6 spd automatic. I hear all RHD markets seem to love these diesel things.

We also get the RAM 1500 and F150 as a special RHD conversion but these are $75,000 usd plus. These still run whatever motor was in originally ie. ecoboost 3.5 v6.

So its surprising to me that there's still some mid sized gasoline trucks out there.
Our Ranger, the same one you guys get but with gasoline engines, has a payload rating from between 1430-1860 pounds. Also, Ram offers their "ecodiesel" in the US but it's so rare that I get excited when I see one. Same diesel engine the Wrangler offers but like I mentioned Ford has already stopped selling theirs after only a couple years because nobody wants it.

Pricing and reviews are out.

1628647466697.png

Not sure I like the red logo. It looks a little DIY. The truck looks great though...probably the best looking in the segment.

A challenger appears.

nissan-frontier-hardbody-lead-64fa1f2b57e99.jpeg

Nissan is working on a "hardbody" version of the Frontier, like based on the Hardbody retro concept from 2022 (which none of us knew about until today).

Among the equipment on the concept were a notable lift, taller tires (likely 285/70-17 rather than the Pro-4X 265/70-17 or 33 vs 31), more skid plates, what appear to be rock sliders (or maybe just the factory step rails with the steps removed), and sick retro wheels and styling. Hopefully they also develop more aftermarket accessories because they're not currently offering much. A locking front diff would be amazing as well because that would be a huge advantage over the new Toyota Tacoma. Regardless, it'll likely continue to be compelling as a massive value proposition.

2022-nissan-frontier-concept-by-nissan-design-america-121-1644349326.jpg

2022-nissan-frontier-concept-by-nissan-design-america-125-1644349328.jpg

2022-nissan-frontier-concept-by-nissan-design-america-123-1644349327.jpg

2022-nissan-frontier-concept-by-nissan-design-america-129-1644349328.jpg

Either way you slice it the interior is still bargain-basement and uninspiring but if you like that old-school feel then it's just right. With these factory changes, it'll be an effective competitor and save you a couple grand in the process. One potential issue I see with the Frontier is that the wheel wells don't appear to be large enough to hold 35 inch tires like the Tacoma and 4Runner can do.

This also made me wonder if I'd ever seen videos of the Frontier being tested off-road - that's how anonymous this truck is. I had! Here's one, and the relevant part begins at 21:30. I already know the Frontier and Tacoma have similar suspension layouts, brake torque vectoring, hill descent control, and locking rear diffs, and these small tests highlight small differences between the two, especially the ABS programming.

Ultimately the Toyota has a little better suspension articulation (TRD Pro is technically a step above a Pro-4X), and as expected the Toyota also has better ABS programming. Toyota has the best off-road ABS and traction control programming on the planet.

Last edited:
Back