2022 NTT INDYCAR SERIESOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter Spirit
  • 295 comments
We sat in the big grandstand across from the pits and the heat was nearly unbearable. There were not enough drink stands around either, the line ups were huge and they ran out of water quickly. Lots of beer though.
They’ll make more off of the beer than the water so this is probably strategic sadly :lol:. This seems to be the only thing the Ex is good for, throwing people in to the heat and sell them overpriced beer.

On another note it would have been nice if they made the track longer. Lakeshore goes on for a while in both directions, the track could be a lot better.

One comment here about the actual race. Was it any good? I don't have (refuse to pay for) Peacock.
It was kinda boring. There was potential for a good battle up front, but the race was decided by an undercut pretty early on.

There were a few yellows late but they didn’t really have any impact.

NBC decided to spoil the race results in the middle of NASCAR’s race in New Hampshire. Watched the replay anyway and the battles in the midfield were pretty entertaining. Rossi getting punted off sucked. As said earlier the battle for the win was decided pretty early.

I haven’t even entered the track yet and it already feels more alive than the last time I was here (2019).

5EBB37F0-E549-4D17-ACDE-5801F560674A.jpeg

Will Power won the pole for todays race and tomorrows race. He is now 1 pole position away from tieing Mario Andretti's record of 67 poles.

Old man Jimmy is having the time of his Indycar life today. Ridiculous speed in his car.

edit.

Iowa really is a great oval. Multiple lines possible all over the track, plenty of action going on. Nascar should let the Cup give this track a try too.

Last edited:
I really hope the forecast is right for tomorrow (should be about 20f cooler) as I probably missed about half the race trying to cool down. If there were any noticeable vacant sections in the stands chances are those tickets were sold but the people were hanging out below the stands or in one of the cooling areas.

Hopefully next year the Saturday show will be a night race.
Nascar should let the Cup give this track a try too.
It would be nice if at least the Trucks or Xfinity came back, this weekend has certainly shown the track can draw a crowd if promoted right.

On tv that was one of the most fun races I’ve watched in a while. Until Newgardens tires decided to stop wearing out with 30 to go. Surprised no one tried to break up that final run with a pit stop. Looked like everyone was running 20mph slower in those final laps.

I'm glad I watched last night's race. 5 cars in the lead lap 1/3 of the way. That's just silly.

Just watched the replay of the race.
Jimmie Johnson P5 Let’s goooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Newgarden's second evaluation on Thursday was going to happen anyway after the accident triggered the impact force limit for this to happen - Trackside Online says this is an 80g impact.

I missed the first 73 laps of Saturday's race. I forgot it was a doubleheader. :ouch: Insane how fast Newgarden was putting cars in the top 5 a lap down. Yesterday was much the same until his wreck. That was a tough loss to take. Not just the race, but the championship as well. And now a concussion?

Kurt sat out the NASCAR race at Pocono after his qualifying crash. It looked like a decently hard hit, but not one you'd think would give a guy a concussion nowadays with all the safety equipment. The Newgarden crash definitely looked like a bigger hit than Kurt's. What is odd is both were released from the infield care center only to have issues later.

Since sports of all kind started taking things much more seriously in recent times, it makes you wonder how often these guys used to get concussions in the past and we never found out.

Wow, imagine getting sued by your own team while you’re still driving for them! What a way to screw up your racing career.

Back