2022 SUPER GT Series

• Thread starter Suzumiya
  • 47 comments
United States
Los Angeles
racingheartruby
RubyWooby
A few of the line ups have been revealed and tests have been carried out, so I think it's a good time to get this thread up.

2022 schedule
15-17 April: Okayama International Circuit (300km)
2-4 May: Fuji Speedway (500km)
27-29 May: Suzuka Circuit (300km)
5-7 August: Fuji Speedway (500 miles)
26-28 August: Suzuka Circuit (300km)
9-11 September: Sportsland Sugo (300km)
30 September-2 October: Autopolis International Racing Course (300km)|
4-6 November: Twin Ring Motegi (300km)

Last edited:
I'm not liking it at all, but it's hard for me to say until I see some narrow angles from a distance. All these close-up shots don't give a reliable impression at all. I also didn't like the new Supra seeing Toyota's press car, but I love the actual cars they raced when the season got going.

I'm not liking it at all, but it's hard for me to say until I see some narrow angles from a distance. All these close-up shots don't give a reliable impression at all. I also didn't like the new Supra seeing Toyota's press car, but I love the actual cars they raced when the season got going.
Here are a couple of on-track shots if that helps :)
1645434602201.png
1645434636823.png

1645434651274.png

First race this weekend. Any guesses on the winners? New Z seems quick. I actually coughed up the $5/mo for the motorsport TV membership so I can actually watch them this year...

Anyone know why they are running the Fuji race in the middle of the week? Qualifying is on in 1.5 hours...

Edit: I guess because it's a holiday week.

Last edited:
I need them to come to COTA in Austin so I can go!
Would be cool, but I don't see it happening. I believe it's been near 20 years since they last came under the JGTC banner to California & I'm not sure if it was the success they were after b/c they couldn't agree to come back the following year. I don't know if the organizers have been approached about returning since, but it was a big financial investment then, & likely remains so now. Closest thing that comes to mind were the V8 Supercars at COTA, but they also did not return due to a scheduling conflict & then both parties terminating the deal.

I think overall, it's just too expensive.

Why was the lead driver over that far towards the pit wall? He's not going to get any draft off of that slower moving GT300 car and he's unsighted the driver right behind him causing that wreck. I hope he got penalized for that.
Normally, the Super GT drivers do drive that close to the wall to prevent being overtaken. However, whether that driver was warned of the slow traffic on the straight, at those closing speeds, that lead driver was late to react as well. Just a bad incident.

Just to follow up on this incident. Here's what a few other drivers had to say about it.

"SARD effectively took responsibility for Takaboshi's crash post-race, with team boss Juichi Wakisaka admitting that Sekiguchi shouldn't have left it so late to duck out of the tow of the Arnage Toyota 86 MC, which was cruising along the main straight at 100km/h owing to a gear shift issue.

Wakisaka acknowledged that some felt that Sekiguchi's driving was "dangerous", and Fenestraz was among those to criticise his actions.

"It could have been easily avoided," said Fenestraz of the crash. "You don’t gain much in the slipstream of a slow GT300 car, and if you do that, you should move [out of the slipstream] earlier if you have a pack of cars behind.

"We all know in the paddock that the driver who did this [Sekiguchi] is an aggressive driver. He stepped over the line in my opinion.

"It could have been a lot worse. We’re lucky nowadays that the safety of the cars is amazing. He didn’t do it on purpose, but he was just risking too much."

Kondo Racing GT300 driver Joao Paulo de Oliveira offered a similar view to that of Fenestraz on Sekiguchi's driving.

"The way the accident happened, it could have been avoided," de Oliveira told Motorsport.com. "Sekiguchi left it too late [to move out of the slipstream] and 'Mitsu' [Takaboshi] was completely blocked, he couldn’t see.

"Sekiguchi could see the car in front was going slowly so I don’t know why he did that move, knowing that 'Mitsu' was right behind. That for me is a red flag.

"We never discussed this situation specifically in the drivers’ briefing because it’s not something we expect to happen all the time, but it’s something we’ll probably discuss now. It's not something you can address with a rule change."

Has anyone ever attended a Super GT race or planned a trip to a race from abroad??

If anyone has any experience of a Super GT race, please let me know. There's a few specific issues I would like to know more about:

Tickets: I saw on Reddit that one has to buy tickets for Super GT races in Japan, which is not surprising. Last time I was in Japan, I went to visit the Studio Ghibli museum on the outskirts of Tokyo, only to discover that getting tickets is virtually impossible once you are already in Japan, and that you need to book through an established agent before you leave. Buying tickets "at the track" sounds like a bit of a gamble...

Which race/event?: I'd love to visit Fuji, Suzuka or Autopolis - pretty much in that order of preference, but how long is the event and is there any merit in getting there a day or so early? Can you get access to the pits, and do any circuits have better options for hotels/accom. etc. than others? In terms of getting to and from circuits, ideally I'd like to stay nearby and be able to walk to and from the circuit.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Back