2023-24 Formula 1 Off-Track Thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 803 comments
So we could complete the Mount Rushmore of atrocious F1 teams?

The 1990s make this too easy.

MasterCard Lola (what if they tried more than one race?)

Life F190 (at least they were trying something completely new, though a borrowed F1 car that failed crash testing the year before)

Andrea Moda (who actually made the grid once, but was farcical throughout)

Kauhsen (totally out of its depth, even by 1970s standards)

Honorable mention to Coloni, but they were earnestly trying, even in those last two years of complete DNQs.

There were some slow one-off entries in the first 30 years of the sport but it there was still an air of "gentleman racers" which allowed a few locals or aspiring constructors to try their hand, and I can't count those. Just a time before everything got too over-professional.

Last edited:

The carbon 'wire' to create a detached effect on the front wing is sure to raise some eyebrows.

Last edited:
The carbon 'wire' to create a detached effect on the front wing is sure to raise some eyebrows.
The rules state that the wing elements must reach across the whole of the wing, but obviously they found the four (the max allowed) full-width chords were too much and affected the airflow, where three didn't produce enough downforce/outwash. A clever interpretation of the laws if allowed.

That is a stunningly aggressive side pod design. Appears to have vertical inlets from the shakedown photos.

Last edited:
The thing that puzzles me, and obviously Newey knows a damn sight more about aero than me, but wouldn't each of those upright dividers create a slight vortex which would amplify down the side pod undercut? Or are my eyes that bad?

I really hope RB have got their cooling sorted out to be that lean on the inlet.

The thing that puzzles me, and obviously Newey knows a damn sight more about aero than me, but wouldn't each of those upright dividers create a slight vortex which would amplify down the side pod undercut? Or are my eyes that bad?

I really hope RB have got their cooling sorted out to be that lean on the inlet.
The cooling is exactly where my mind went to first, plus Mercedes problems with rear end stability on a similar design, be interesting to see what the actual car looks like in Bahrain.

Last edited:
Yay, cars on a track :cheers:

Red Bull 6 tenths clear :grumpy:

Joe Biden Oops GIF by The Democrats

The Sauber looks like a user created team from one of the Codemasters games. I don’t mind the bright green but the design doesn’t follow the shape of the car at all, weird right angle shapes across the engine cover.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this, but does anyone have experience with subscribing to F1 TV Pro via VPN?
I'm not really willing to pay Sky a bucketload of money for a bunch of other stuff I'll never watch.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this, but does anyone have experience with subscribing to F1 TV Pro via VPN?
I'm not really willing to pay Sky a bucketload of money for a bunch of other stuff I'll never watch.
If you can find a VPN which isn't blocked yet no problem. 15% off at the moment.

Big cars is one reason the action looks less exciting than it did 20 years ago and the overproduced camera work is why it looks less exciting than 30 years ago.

Translation:
"Christian Horner acquitted, although insiders believe the saga is not over yet. Regardless of any appeal or legal follow-up steps taken by the employee in question, it has once again become clear in recent weeks that there is trouble within Red Bull's top management."
As De Telegraaf previously revealed, he is accused of sexual misconduct by a Red Bull employee.It previously became clear that the woman in question, whose name is known to the editors, is considering further legal action. Before the outcome of the investigation, going to court was already discussed. She currently also has the option to first appeal against the verdict of the external lawyer, who has now acquitted Horner.

I wonder if things are still going on, or Erik is just doubling down? TMU, he's the one who broke this story & reported some of the more serious claims like the messages.

Last edited:
The actual outcome (Red Bull decides about Horners future following a report from a law company they paid themselves) just raises more questions than it gives answers. The statement Horner is acquitted but we can't say why and we also can't say from what accusations in the first place probably won't be enough. British media, F1, Ford and probably many other parties won't be satisfied with this statement alone.

The actual outcome (Red Bull decides about Horners future following a report from a law company they paid themselves) just raises more questions than it gives answers. The statement Horner is acquitted but we can't say why and we also can't say from what accusations in the first place probably won't be enough. British media, F1, Ford and probably many other parties won't be satisfied with this statement alone.

Edit: it could be bad to have it here so I removed the alleged texts

It’s relatively easy to find though, there will be plenty of memes.

Last edited:
I can’t see the messages in detail (on my phone), but I’m hearing the messages seem kind of tame. Really weird for a married man to be sending, though.

Supposedly, there has been a suggested power struggle at Red Bull itself after the passing of Dietrich Mateschicz so perhaps the F1 operation is RIGHT in the thick of that. Perhaps someone on behalf of the thai investors wanting to set up Horner and push him out (possibly alongside Helmet Marko just to completely scrub the old regime). That or its Jos Verstappen paying someone so he can get back at Horner and co after being removed from being in the paddock nearly as much (which given the drama he would himself contribute to, wouldn't surprise me)

Last edited:
Supposedly, there has been a suggested power struggle at Red Bull itself after the passing of Dietrich Mateschicz so perhaps the F1 operation is RIGHT in the thick of that. Perhaps someone on behalf of the thai investors wanting to set up Horner and push him out (possibly alongside Helmet Marko just to completely scrub the old regime). That or its Jos Verstappen paying someone so he can get back at Horner and co after being removed from being in the paddock nearly as much (which given the drama he would himself contribute to, wouldn't surprise me)
TMU, the Thai investors are the reason he wasn’t place on leave/suspended. They want him around.

There’s also the speculation that the independent lawyer was hired on behalf of the Thai investors.

I can’t see the messages in detail (on my phone), but I’m hearing the messages seem kind of tame. Really weird for a married man to be sending, though.
He’s got a lame game, but also pretty inappropriate in any corporate setting and they have sponsors. You can’t have bosses doing this to assistants who worry about retaliation and keeping their job.

I don’t see how he keeps his job after this leaked if it’s real.

Back