2023-24 Formula 1 Off-season thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 602 comments
Though a lot of the arguments of tradition and history feel like nothing more than lip service these days. The cars have long since outgrown Monaco, and it could be argued the sport as a whole has too, but as long as it's where a large parts of the teams' budgets are secured every year they have to stay diplomatic about it. It'll be interesting to see how their opinions retroactively change if/when Vegas takes Monaco's place as F1's money stop.
Of course it's lip service, look at golf at The Masters and Augusta National for example, steeped in tradition and history, still adapts the course and layout to modern times. Monaco needs to do the same thing somehow, be it through alternate format, revamp of the layout or whatever it may look like. Its days are numbered if it doesn't.

Ferrari going blue for Miami?

Apparently in honor of 70 years in America. 70th anniversary is traditionally platinum so leave it to Ferrari to go with what is closer to the 65th anniversary symbol by going blue sapphire.

Should have just replaced the yellow and white stripes they added to the 2024 livery with white-blue-white stripes to echo the NART livery/colours. Would have been a much more relevant link.

Last edited:
Blue is harking to NART but it being Miami, it just smacks of tastelessness and being gimmicky.

Great minds and all that. Least you got your link embedded 😂

Grand Theft Auto Walking GIF by Rockstar Games

Last edited:
Never doubt Lewis - although the real long-term winner here could be Charles

(assuming of course that Adrien is headed to Italy)

Last edited:
If its true that Newey is going to Ferrari, then Elkan is making some big money moves getting Hamilton and him over there.

Last edited:
The same way Lewis is "set to" join Ferrari in 2025. Just a guess.

Amus, BBC and van Haren are reporting it now.
2/50 correct guesses is not journalistic excellence. Nothing official has come out and the last few months have just been bandwagoning on rumours. Be patient, wait for it to be proper and stop supping up professional guessing, one day it will bite back and not be true.

If Newey leaves Red Bull that team is done, IMO - more than Verstappen and certainly more than Horner, he is the reason for that car's dominance. A Hamilton-Newey-Ferrari team sounds brutally effective.

Last edited:
He could also be leaving RedBull to... actually retire, given he's 65 and all?
No-one could grudge him that, but I reckon while he is in such high demand, I don't think he would walk away from an exciting (and incredibly lucrative) new job - especially if it was with Ferrari.

Heck, I'd come out of retirement if Ferrari offered me a job after I'd retired, though the only job I'd ever likely get at Ferrari is making the espressos or, if they didn't trust me with that task, race strategist.

Last edited:
I also don't think Newey is the type to retire at 65. The man is clearly driven to keep raising the bar, even if its consistently over his own previous bests.

Heck, I'd come out of retirement if Ferrari offered me a job after I'd retired, though the only job I'd ever likely get at Ferrari is making the espressos or, if they didn't trust me with that task, race strategist.
Race strategy is simple. Create a letter and assign what that letter means if and when the time comes.

"Plan G: Eat ice cream and retire the car."

Is there are reliable source for an overview of the pause F1 personell has to take switching teams?

Also a new Newey trackday/road Ferrari, yes please.

Autosport reporting it too...

Question is. Ferrari, Aston or Audi?
Realistically looking at it:

Ferrari: The only viable option (something I would not have said 3 years ago, but here we are). We've got a no nonsense leader in Vasseur, we all know #blessed is already over there (someone he's expressed interest in working with) and its Ferrari. You're really gonna turn down a rare Second offer from Ferrari (Especially one that isn't run by clowns this time)? And there's the fact that Elkan is very much looking like he very much wants to create the closest thing to the Todt-Brawn-Schumacher era (Something Vettel tried to do, but he didn't quite have the reach or pieces to do so). This is the one team on the grid that has the best of both worlds and is regularly THE closest to Red Bull (With Mclaren sorta trying to squeeze in there), why not fulfill the dream and become THE guy that returns a world title back to Maranello. And should he decide he's done with F1 but not with Ferrari, there's that Hypercar program that isn't too bad either...

Aston Martin: While he does have familiar company in Dan Fallows, I can't imagine he'll thrive at a team who's owner is the only reason one of those drivers has a seat (And am willing to bet doesn't take even constructive criticism of his son too well). For someone who wants the team to compete for wins and championships, Lawrence sure doesn't seem willing to make the sacrifice and I don't think that's ideal for Adrian (Or for Honda, who has already shown they are willing work with Alonso but I guarantee they would prefer a certain RB driver over Lance).

Audi: Both too risky and odds are, Audi already have what THEY want and likely won't give Newey the room and freedom (the thing that drove him away from Williams AND Mclaren, both run by Old men who reek of "My way or the Highway").

Last edited:
2/50 correct guesses is not journalistic excellence. Nothing official has come out and the last few months have just been bandwagoning on rumours. Be patient, wait for it to be proper and stop supping up professional guessing, one day it will bite back and not be true.
Not all outlets are the same, nor are all articles. Calling everything "guesses" is just as akin to media illiteracy as believing every single tabloid rumor.

He could also be leaving RedBull to... actually retire, given he's 65 and all?
There is a report out there highlighting that “senior figures within the sport” shared that Newey informally communicated his desire to leave.

There was an added on bit that if he is to be headed to another team, it would be Ferrari.

But, I think retirement odds are still a high likelihood as well. I’m a little more curious if something within’ Red Bull finally pushed Newey out the door.

Maybe the engine program isn’t doing very well and he doesn’t want to relive the RBR-Renault hyrbid era.

Last edited:
Back