2023 FIA World Endurance ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter suomi1
  • 984 comments
How much was the cost of a race pass for this?

So irritating - basically denied access for the first hour, but now it is working again - so I'm guessing no refunds.

Last edited:

So irritating - basically denied access for the first hour, but now it is working again - so I'm guessing no refunds.
Too much. One month of Discovery plus is £6.99....

I'm listening through Radio Le Mans.

I watched two hours of the race on Eurosport 1, but it's literally commercials every 5 minutes. I cannot bear it.

I'm listening through Radio Le Mans.

I watched two hours of the race on Eurosport 1, but it's literally commercials every 5 minutes. I cannot bear it.
Yeah that's why I'm not springing for the Motortrend+ here in the US. I have to put up with it for LeMans but I'll just wait until the replay hits the WEC Youtube channel.

Toyota winning is not a surprise as they already been racing for years so they know the ropes the Gr010 will only be perfected.

Im happy Ferrari got a podium finish in their debut race.

Good job Af Corse.

Pretty interesting race, certainly a way to welcome in the new era of the top class. Based on this race, here's what I'm seeing with these Hypercar teams:

Peugeot: Just shockingly still off. Its not like this manufacterer doesn't know how to make a good endurance car (one only has to look at the 905 and the 908 for that) and even the same people from the 2007 - 2011 program are on the team now so its just baffling to see them struggle so much. Team is serious need of refinement overall, both in team AND car.

"Vanwall": Still not even remotely sure how this team of an absolute crook still exists or how it is even still racing, but here we are. Shocked that they lasted the whole distance considering what was witnessed, only finishing higher because they were somehow not the second worst car out there despite having an accident earlier (Legit surprised considering lets be frank, its ByKolles). That said, All I see is the same as I've seen before: New name, same running at the back and eventually blowing up (as is tradition).

Porsche: Not awful, but the tire management issues were very surprising (and not exactly a pleasant omen for tomorrow, where the race distance is 4 hours longer). Can definately last now, but it seems there is a newer car issue that needs sorting.

Cadillac: As shown at Daytona, Near Bullet Proof. Not lacking THAT much on speed as more of that car's potential was unlocked later on in the race. Only that penalty stopped it from finishing better but otherwise, stout team and car. I expect it out of most of the new cars to be the one finishing the most as long as Earl Bamber doesn't do Earl Bamber things (See Petit Le Mans 2022).

Ferrari: Definately fast out the gate and shockingly reliable despite some of the limited running it has so definately impressive. However, the team itself really needs some collective refinement as it was very Un-AF Corse like with the penalties it got. The accident with a GT car (Thanks to a very over optimistic move) really didn't help them either. They clearly can keep up with Toyota, they just have to now get that team fully drilled and grounded in to be competitive (Something I have far more hope in them doing then I do the F1 squad in Maranello, which has been at it for god knows how long at this point).

Toyota: Well what do you know, the team that's had two full seasons worth of racing with there car and a decade of experience overall ended up winning the race. Remember who else used to do that? Audi. So they've essentially becoem the new Audi: Setting a very high bar that pretty much everyone is going to have to step up to. In short, everyone else just simply needs to get good, period.

And before people barge in with the "BOP needs to be fixed" nonsense I've been seeing, let me point out that this team had:

• No new car issues (Kinda hard to when the car isn't brand spanking new and they've frankly optimized it to the nth degree)
  • No new team issues (Basically a well-oiled machine, which tends to happen when you've been at this for a decade)
  • No Penalties, which is key here because that tends to add up.
  • No incidents (Sure there was that crash in practice but I'd argue they just got the crashy bit out of the way)

And one more very important note: The Toyota had the worst BOP. So the car that effectively shouldn't have been the fastest actually won. Again, everyone else needs to step up.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the race and man the Toyota is a beast. The car is balanced, handled the bumps with more poise than any other car in the race, and kept the tires under it. Ferrari grabbed the headlines with the pole but they have work to do with the chassis.

A great drive by Ben and the new guy Varrone in the Corvette.

Solid result from Cadillac, beating both Porsches and a Ferrari. Plus a win for Corvette. Can't complain at all.

Once the WEC app actually started working, it was good - unbroken coverage and ad-free, but it was very disappointing to miss most of the first hour of the race due to technical difficulties at WEC's end.

The race was pretty entertaining - a challenging circuit that caught out a few people, but an ominously commanding performance from Toyota... but it was good to see some others doing well too. I hope that the rest of the field continue to improve and can catch up on Toyota, but I wouldn't be betting against Toyota this season, particularly at Le Mans. And hopefully this might also serve as a wake-up call to WEC to get their servers ready for an event, preferably before the race starts!

And the rocket launch near the end of the race was a very cool addition - certainly not something you see every day!

Poor Rahel Frey :D In the stream it looked like one third of the porsche came off...
But Iron Dames recovered pretty well considering that there were many more pro drivers.
Peugeot: Just shockingly still off. Its not like this manufacterer doesn't know how to make a good endurance car (one only has to look at the 905 and the 908 for that) and even the same people from the 2007 - 2011 program are on the team now so its just baffling to see them struggle so much. Team is serious need of refinement overall, both in team AND car.
In the official fia stream the commentators talked about the different cars and their problems. It seems that peugeot tested their cars on "flat" european tracks and not so bumpy tracks like sebring. From certain angles one could see the car "shaking" in the rear and barely having grip.
(For me some of the best if not the best looking hypercar :D)

someone live leaked the race on youtube and caught it while working all day.

Kind of bummed on the porche hypercars not doing that great

Is the Peugeot lacking pace (at Sebring) because it relies on underbody aero and Sebring is far too bumpy?
Think its more a case of it being even worse because Sebring is Bumpy.

WEC starts at 12 PM EDT

I also made this handy-dandy spreadsheet for all the events happening this weekend

image.png

image.png

image.png
I did the same but included the Rugby and Football (soccer) - was a busy sporting weekend. It's actually the first time in a long time I didn't watch a single F1 session and just watched the YouTube Clips

Yeah the Peugeots have been an embarrassment - more style than substance.

Do hope the Ferraris do well.

Everyone seen the crash with the Porsche landing in the grandstand?

Last edited:
I'm starting to get Nissan GT-R LM vibes from the Peugeots.
Could be worse:

wm-aston-martin-amr-one-7.jpg

Friendly reminder that this car finished NONE of the races it entered (Which were only Two BTW), running far less laps in total then the Nissan GT-R LM did in its one and only race.

Last edited:
Back