2023 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 706 comments
Both games were good yesterday. I am glad the Lions won and I hope they beat SF. Hopefully both games next week are good. My SuperBowl pick is Det vs Balt

Super Bowl LVIII awaits. The AFC can see either Baltimore or Kansas City get in. The NFC can see either Detroit or San Francisco get in. Which two teams will be one step closer towards playing for a Championship? This upcoming weekend will tell all.

• AFC Championship Game: KC Chiefs at BAL Ravens
  • NFC Championship Game: DET Lions at SF 49ers

Enjoy Conference Championship weekend! In the meanwhile, you're free to share your thoughts on either or both of these games if you prefer.

I wish, ticket prices were insane and I live over 4 hours from the stadium. My wife and I might make the trek next Sunday to watch the championship game on the screen at Ford Field though since tickets are supposed to $20.
Ah, right. Ticket scalping must've been out of this world for that game.

Jerome

Lions fans are now moving the needle in the airline industry:

Also, this is something that I've never seen happen:
1706114672967.png

GM is delying shift starts so people can watch the Lions. I know a bunch of people who work on the line and they all said the line only ever gets delayed for logistically issue. Even when there's a ton of snow they don't delay the line. But the Lions making the NFC Championship game? Ya, trucks can wait.

It's unreal to see the buzz in Michigan right now. I mean we've had winning teams since the Red Wings and Pistons have won in the last 30 years, but this feels completely different.

Football hits different. Everyone is happier here when the Dolphins win. Rather, people are less frustrated when people make mistakes or things don't go perfectly, etc. Football incompetence on Sundays primes people's fury towards the mundane for the rest of the week.

Football hits different. Everyone is happier here when the Dolphins win. Rather, people are less frustrated when people make mistakes or things don't go perfectly, etc. Football incompetence on Sundays primes people's fury towards the mundane for the rest of the week.
New Orleans is like that too. When the Saints are winning, the whole atmosphere is different.

I didn't even know the Detroit Lions never made it to the Super Bowl. I'm so used to hearing about the Lions around 1957 or so. Making it to the Championship Game would be both refreshing and awesome. It was the same way I felt when another team I didn't know made the Super Bowl, the New Orleans Saints, made their first Super Bowl and won it. It will be pretty awesome if Detroit makes it to the Super Bowl. That is... unless the San Francisco 49ers have something to say about it...

I didn't even know the Detroit Lions never made it to the Super Bowl. I'm so used to hearing about the Lions around 1957 or so. Making it to the Championship Game would be both refreshing and awesome. It was the same way I felt when another team I didn't know made the Super Bowl, the New Orleans Saints, made their first Super Bowl and won it. It will be pretty awesome if Detroit makes it to the Super Bowl. That is... unless the San Francisco 49ers have something to say about it...
Fun fact: the last time the Lions won a championship, they beat the San Francisco 49ers in San Francisco. They then went on to play the Cleveland Browns, who became the Baltimore Ravens.

Fun fact: the last time the Lions won a championship, they beat the San Francisco 49ers in San Francisco. They then went on to play the Cleveland Browns, who became the Baltimore Ravens.
While true in terms of team identity, the Ravens are their own team and the Browns records remain with the city, so the new Browns are the old Browns.

Jim Harbaugh has agreed to become the Los Angeles Chargers HC.

Vic Fangio out as Fins DC. Was never really in love with his defense. I think whatever success they had was despite the scheme, not because of it.

Vrabel would be my pick for HC. Panthers have historically done well in the past, with a defensively minded coach at the helm. Seems like Bucs OC Dave Canales will probably be the guy though.

Last edited:
And there you go. Dave Canales confirmed as the Panthers HC. And on a long term deal as well. Hopefully this works out, although my expectations are low as long as Tepper is the owner.

Last edited:
So fed up of the Chiefs that I'm supporting the Ravens on Sunday. End times, truly.
At least the other game is a good matchup, 2 teams I like. Predicting the usual Lions heartbreak though.

Kansas City (MO), Baltimore, Detroit, and San Francisco... stand UP! Today either will bring teams to the Super Bowl or bring a tragic end to their 2023 NFL seasons. We got two games today that will determine who will be playing in Super Bowl LVIII. Here is the setup:

• AFC Championship Game: KC Chiefs at BAL Ravens
  • NFC Championship Game: DET Lions at SF 49ers

Suit up and get ready for some football. Enjoy today's games!

Go Lions, it's funny that Snoop Dogg movie Under Doggs just came out too :lol:

Jerome

So this has been my week:

1706459035513.png
1706459043917.png

I still can't comprehend how a team I've cheered for my entire life that's disappointed me over and over again is one win away from going to the Super Bowl. There are very few things in life that get me unreasonably excited and I'm typically pretty low key, but here I am unable to function today because I'm so pumped. Even if the Lions lose, this has been the best season of Lions football I've ever watched.

Dude I'm really happy for you and Detroit. I know I haven't been this excited about watching the Lions since Barry when I was a young lad.

Jerome

I really don't want to see KC win.
Then we'll have more of TK and TS publicity. Not like there is already enough of it with some sort of "AI" issue.

Lions should win so they can be in it for the first time and win it for the first time. A one timer.

Ravens really shot themselves in the foot multiple times. That being said.

Game's rigged.

2f7.jpg

Better luck next year I hope.

Last edited:
And so it's my least interesting Superb Owl matchup then.

Want: 49ers, just for the shot of Mr. Irrelevant possibly winning MVP
Expect: lolchiefs

Last edited:
Thoughts on both games:
KC vs BAL: Ravens had multiple opportunities to get back in the game but kept shooting themselves in the foot. Lack of discipline and two errors by Zay Flowers on one drive cost them a TD, while an endzone INT took away another.
DET vs. SF: Lions didn't adjust in the 2nd half and it cost them dearly. Of both of the road teams, only the Lions scored points in the 2nd half. The issue is they left too many chances on the field and didn't go for fgs when they had to. Live by the aggressiveness, die by the aggressiveness.

Chiefs vs 49ers Super Bowl is more balanced than if the Ravens won. I still think Kansas City will repeat.

AFC Championship was a joke. That KC defense sho is gud. Should I feel better about Tua only scoring 7 points vs KC in -30F weather when Lamar Jackson can only score 7 points in 43F? Ravens are full of jugheads like Zay Flowers and other Ft Lauderdale kids who think they're tough but get stomped. How are you so dumb that you get a big gain and then a taunting call when you're losing, and then fumble the ball on the next play. This is the mentality of south Florida people. Not surprised the Ravens wet the bed.

NFC Championship might wind up being a better game than the Super Bowl.

Lions 1st half = just a thing of beauty.
49ers 2nd half = just a thing of beauty.

This was The Lucky Catch game. Goff's spirals looked like those spiderwebs made by arachnids on crack cocaine, but the WRs really had some bad drops.

The biggest, most insane thing, however, is the 4th down calls. WHY GO FOR IT? Tie the game! It could have been an OT thriller with those 3 points on the board. I just don't understand these coaches that think they're cute against teams playing championship football. MCDC let his guys down with that decision.

Last edited:
AFC Championship was a joke. That KC defense sho is gud. Should I feel better about Tua only scoring 7 points vs KC in -30F weather when Lamar Jackson can only score 7 points in 43F? Ravens are full of jugheads like Zay Flowers and other Ft Lauderdale kids who think they're tough but get stomped. How are you so dumb that you get a big gain and then a taunting call when you're losing, and then fumble the ball on the next play. This is the mentality of south Florida people. Not surprised the Ravens wet the bed.

NFC Championship might wind up being a better game than the Super Bowl.

Lions 1st half = just a thing of beauty.
49ers 2nd half = just a thing of beauty.

This was The Lucky Catch game. Goff's spirals looked like those spiderwebs made by arachnids on crack cocaine, but the WRs really had some bad drops.

The biggest, most insane thing, however, is the 4th down calls. WHY GO FOR IT? Tie the game! It could have been an OT thriller with those 3 points on the board. I just don't understand these coaches that think they're cute against teams playing championship football. MCDC let his guys down with that decision.
One lucky catch off a helmet, where have I seen that before? :P That 4th down call though....I get it, thats your jam. Well it shouldn't ALWAYS be your jam. Especially in a championship game where the D tends to be good. Sure, do it during the season against the Commanders, or whoever. But seen as how you've been blanked thus far in the 2nd half, points are points. I'll never understand that. Also, Reynolds' drops were.....BAD.

I'm waiting for the news reports of rioting and looting in Detroit when I wake up.

Jerome

Campbell's presser was so depressing because you know they're going to STINK for a hot minute when Ben Johnson leaves. Just like the Eagles losing Shane Steichen.

I was too tired to stay up for the Championship games last night, figuring all I had to do was avoid this thread and watch the games tonight on catch-up.

Unfortunately the BBC have a one-line header on their front page that spoiled both results in a split second :ouch: Oh well, I saved myself about 7 hours.

Back