2023 Toyota GR Corolla - 300hp / 6MT / AWD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 125 comments
That exhaust setup looks really weird.

2023-Toyota-GR-Corolla-34.jpg

Last edited:
Prices coming soon!?!?! It's one of those stupid cliff hangers again. I'm kind of leaning towards the launch edition. Idk if it was me or the angles they were showing but it looked like the launch edition had wider arches than the core version?

Prices coming soon!?!?! It's one of those stupid cliff hangers again.
It's pretty standard practice in the industry to release pricing closer to the sale date. They have to cross their T's and dot their I's on the budget and expenses to figure out the final MSRP and that takes a while. Especially since changes to the car can be made right up to and sometimes after production starts.

Is that exhaust setup a April fools joke by Toyota? It is already April in some parts of the world.

Last edited:
Not that it was a well kept secret, but I’ve known about it’s existence since October after badgering a Toyota rep at an international Auto show. 😁

I have to go in for clutch work on my Celica soon, I’m gonna try to get my name on a list for that circuit package when I do.

Of course they don't reveal the price. And only a few color choices, kind of wish the big spoiler was on the regular GR Corolla and not just the Circuit Edition.
2023-toyota-gr-corolla-102-1648581905.jpg

2023-toyota-gr-corolla-201-1648747736.jpg

2023-toyota-gr-corolla-204-1648747736.jpg

Hmm, the red car doesn't have the hood bulge or vents.

Prices coming soon!?!?! It's one of those stupid cliff hangers again. I'm kind of leaning towards the launch edition. Idk if it was me or the angles they were showing but it looked like the launch edition had wider arches than the core version?
It's bound to be priced similar to the Civic Type-R or Golf R, so a US price of $40-45K is likely.

I think this car looks pretty nice in silver - it's almost subtle. If I got one, I would immediately switch to a single exit exhaust.

This is far and away better looking than whatever the STI would have looked like based on the current Impreza, so good riddance to it. This is amazing.

I was expecting them to just dump the GR Yaris engine in a Corolla and call it a day. Glad to see I'm wrong and it got a healthy 50 BHP power boost (though it's also 200 kg heavier so probably will end up slower overall).

Last edited:
I was expecting them to just dump the GR Yaris engine in a Corolla and call it a day. Glad to see I'm wrong and it got a healthy 50 BHP power boost (though it's also 200 kg heavier so probably will end up slower overall).
The extra weight was the reason for the power increase.

I like it. Definitely a good-looking hot hatch. That exhaust setup is definitely unorthodox though, but I’m not complaining. 🙂

I was gutted when I heard the Yaris wouldn't be available in the US, but this will make up for it :)

Last edited:

"I wouldn't say the limiting factor on these vehicles is our ability to produce them," Toyota Vice President of Marketing Mike Tripp told R&T. "It's being very careful to make sure that we maintain the niche credibility."

The right amount to ensure that while expanding the brand, Tripp says, is "one too few."

Toyota's maintaining flexibility for that reason, but Tripp says the company is predicting that a full year of sales will end up around 8000 units. Expect 2023 to fall shy of that number, with the production ramp and limited early availability limiting total sales to around 6000 cars.

The company also intends to keep the Corolla fresh and in-demand by rolling out updates and special editions. The first special edition is the Circuit Edition, for which Toyota hasn't shared production run plans. But Tripp told R&T to expect one each special edition to make it to most dealers, putting minimum production numbers around 1250.

"When it comes to something that's this niche, it's important to us that we give every dealer the opportunity to get one," Tripp said. "So if you do the math—and this is no guarantee—if we have a special edition for every dealer, that's 1250-ish. So when you have a total volume of somewhere between 6000 and 8000, and a special edition that's 1250 of that, we think that's the right balance. But one too few will be our goal, just not because of production limits."

I’m taking my wife to a Toyota dealer next weekend to have a look at and sit in a base Corolla. I want to make sure it’s large enough for a family car, and she likes it, before I give the dealer a deposit for a circuit edition.

Subaru really screwed the pooch not making an STI. (And strapping plastic garbage all over the WRX). Never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d be seriously considering spending over 50 thousand dollars on a Corolla.

Last edited:
I want to make sure it’s large enough for a family car
A stroller folded up in the rear will take up all the cargo space but besides that it's definitely big enough. Be wary of the driving position - last time I drove a Corolla, the pedals were too close to me and the steering wheel was too far away. The wheel needed about 6 inches more telescope to be remotely comfortable. I'm 5'10" 170lbs. This is my only concern with the GR-Four but it would be a deal breaker if GR didn't fix the driving position.

Last edited:
A stroller folded up in the rear will take up all the cargo space but besides that it's definitely big enough. Be wary of the driving position - last time I drove a Corolla, the pedals were too close to me and the steering wheel was too far away. The wheel needed about 6 inches more telescope to be remotely comfortable. I'm 5'10" 170lbs. This is my only concern with the GR-Four but it would be a deal breaker if GR didn't fix the driving position.
Cheers for the heads up, will definitely play with the settings when I test drive the base model to make sure I can get it comfortable. I am a little shorter than you so we’ll wait and see. Will report back 👍

Update: I’ve placed an order and left a deposit. Pencilled in the Corolla’s blue (think Focus RS) but there’s no official word if they’ll actually sell the GR in that colour yet. Also no official word on price, or release date, but Christmas was mentioned loosely.

Dealer had taken 7 orders prior to mine, and was told that mine is to be the last.

Still a fair ways off, and a lot of things to play out, but it feels good knowing that if I want the car it’ll be there for me.

Back