2023 Toyota GR Corolla - 300hp / 6MT / AWD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 125 comments
Placed an order, planning on making it my new daily driver! Going for the core with the performance package since I’m sure the markups on the circuit will be ridiculous. Told them either a white or a red one, whatever they end up getting in. It seems like the core will be out months before the circuit too so it’ll be nice to have the chance to have the car earlier.

0601-01_031.jpg0601-01_028.jpg
It’s looking like we might not be getting the US spec base model in Australia/Japan. The (white) RZ pictured in this announcement has the carbon roof of the US’s circuit edition. This has me a little conflicted. I want the fancy roof, obviously, but it could mean $8k + on the entry price.

The Morizo edition is a pretty cool concept, but you’ve gotta wonder why the back doors need to function, and have power window switches, with no back seats. It’d be very cool to replace the back doors with sealed carbon items, but I imagine safety testing would make that impossible 🤔

View attachment 1156604View attachment 1156605
It’s looking like we might not be getting the US spec base model in Australia/Japan. The (white) RZ pictured in this announcement has the carbon roof of the US’s circuit edition. This has me a little conflicted. I want the fancy roof, obviously, but it could mean $8k + on the entry price.

The Morizo edition is a pretty cool concept, but you’ve gotta wonder why the back doors need to function, and have power window switches, with no back seats. It’d be very cool to replace the back doors with sealed carbon items, but I imagine safety testing would make that impossible 🤔
Can still use them to load/unload cargo. Track tires for example.

I'd absolutely sell a kidney to get one of these, but announcing there will only be 5500~ of them in the current "Supply Chain Issues!!!" market will make it easily priced out of even my most stretched budget.

Was super excited for this car, too and it's so far meeting all of my expectations.

I'd absolutely sell a kidney to get one of these, but announcing there will only be 5500~ of them in the current "Supply Chain Issues!!!" market will make it easily priced out of even my most stretched budget.

Was super excited for this car, too and it's so far meeting all of my expectations.
My local Toyota dealer is marking up Rav4s by $8,000. I suspect these will be $75k to start with.

IF I were in the market for a new car, this would be the one and I'd end up with the Core + Performance Package. The other two are overpriced.

But I'm not keen on having another car payment for a while so I will pass for now.

IF I were in the market for a new car, this would be the one and I'd end up with the Core + Performance Package. The other two are overpriced.

But I'm not keen on having another car payment for a while so I will pass for now.
^this.

Plus I'm content with my Focus RS for now and don't want to bother with more debt (unless it's a house) 💀

NZ Pricing and specs revealed:

150 Cars are headed to New Zealand and it has the Carbon Fibre roof standard. Pricing starts at $75k. That’s $5K north of a Civic Type R and $15K more than the GR Yaris. That puts it somewhere around the $78k mark here in Aus.

In a word, Expensive.

Still no official word on AUS pricing, quantity or release date but at nearly $30k more than a WRX, I’ve definitely been priced out of this one unfortunately.

Last edited:
NZ Pricing and specs revealed:

150 Cars are headed to New Zealand and it has the Carbon Fibre roof standard. Pricing starts at $75k. That’s $5K north of a Civic Type R and $15K more than the GR Yaris. That puts it somewhere around the $78k mark here in Aus.

In a word, Expensive.

Still no official word on AUS pricing, quantity or release date but at nearly $30k more than a WRX, I’ve definitely been priced out of this one unfortunately.

Update: official pricing is out. 700 cars for Australia in year 1, around 5000 orders were placed, $62.5k + on roads.

It’s a lot cheaper than I thought it would be, and an obtainable figure. Now to wait and see if I’m the 1/7 that gets a car.

Last edited:

For starters, Toyota Australia has only secured 700 examples of its hotly-anticipated hot hatch for 2023, despite receiving more than 4000 expressions of interest. But not the company’s sales boss, Sean Hanley, has revealed that the company and its dealers are vetting potential buyers to try and ensure the relatively small number of cars end up in the right hands.

Which may sound like bad news, but it’s actually an attempt by Toyota to try and ensure that every example ends up in the hands of a driving enthusiasts rather than someone looking to flip it for a profit while demanding out-strips supply.

However, Hanley said Toyota was limited in what it can do within the Australian consumer laws and made it clear that no-one interested in buying a GR Corolla would be denied, simply that they would not be a priority for dealers. He also made it clear that Toyota wouldn’t be punishing dealers if they didn’t follow the vetting procedure.

“There won’t be any repercussions, but we’re trying to get them into the hands of enthusiasts,” Hanley said.
His message to would-be buyers was simple: “Don’t overpay for a Toyota.”

Maybe they should produce enough to meet demand before the screw around dividing production capacity for additional models for dealers to charge even more for over sticker.

Toyota to extend production of the GR Corolla

Due to popular demand, Toyota Motor North America is announcing that the GR Corolla Circuit Edition will continue to be produced for model year 2024.

“We are seeing a ton of enthusiasm and excitement for the GR Corolla, especially the Circuit Edition,” says Michael Tripp, Toyota vice president of Marketing and Communications. “When Toyota GR fans speak, we listen and our plans are to increase GR Corolla volume and continue offering the Circuit Edition as part of the GR Corolla lineup in 2024.”

There will be around 1,500 Circuit Edition units produced for the continental U.S. for model year 2023.

The 2024 GR Corolla Circuit Edition will carry over some of the standard features of the 2023 model, complete details will be announced later this year. Production of the Circuit Edition model for 2025 and beyond is still under consideration.

It's been out for a while now and I just have to say...I don't think the GR Corolla looks very good. It's got a widebody, but instead of looking racy like the CTR or WRX STi does, it just looks kinda puffy and heavy.

It's definitely hideous and looks like it's wearing a wedding dress. But it's rad.

Finally saw one. Default white. Looks very aggressive. The bonnet vents are cool( no pun intended). I’d buy one.

I’ve seen 3 in dealerships. In white, grey and red. The red looked the best IMO, but it looks pretty tough in every colour. Even the regular Joe will be able to tell it’s not just a Corolla.

The local Toyota dealer still has my $1000 deposit. I’m still not sure if I’ll go to a GR Corolla, or to a WRX…

A lot of people in the GR Corolla Australia owners groups have come from the GR Yaris, which is quite a bit cheaper and lighter. By pretty much all accounts the Yaris is the better car, but the lack of back doors takes that one out of the running for me.

I do wonder if a lot of the hype around the GR Corolla comes from the fact that other countries never got the Yaris. A bit of a “forbidden fruit” syndrome that’s pushed demand and desire beyond what the car might actually deserve in a market where both are available.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back