Premium
United Kingdom
Betelgeuse
Beeblebrox_237
Read more

Pics

670x377Image.jpg

670x377Image.jpg

I personally don't like it, it doesn't look like a a Range Rover. It's too stylised, too fancy. But what do you think?

Thought I could count on Land Rover of all companies to play it safe. Apparently not. Rounded and sculpted works for the Evoque, and only the Evoque. Land Rover should keep their other offerings the way they are, or at least with modest changes, but still traditional.
Personally, I hate it. Looks like a big crossover, and while I think crossovers are just fine, I don't think a Range Rover to look like a raised station wagon. The rear bumper looks wimpy and flimsy; too thin. The front is awkward; the grill is too small, and there's too much blank space, some of which is occupied by vents that look like an after thought. The three vents/scallops/whatever you want to call them on the front door look silly, and overall, it has too many lines. It looks like it was over-designed to make the aerodynamics and pedestrian safety teams happy.
Land Rover, you disappoint.

Also, the resemblance is striking...

2011-ford-explorer.jpg

2013-Range-Rover-2.jpg
2011-ford-explorer-review-02.jpg

2013-Range-Rover-4.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite part is the grille under the headlight that looks like a hotel room air conditioner.

100_4901-1024x768.jpg

Vents like that should not be left body color because it makes them look chintzy, like a hotel room air conditioner.

It might grow on me after a while, but there are some details that are polluting the design. For instance those vertical gills on the doors and the bbq grille on the front bumpers.

Other than that, it's a classical and very well styled shape and from an engineering standpoint it's promising to be superb. I dig it.

It just look ugly.

Dooglers8
"It looks like Ford Explorer".
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

Keef
My favorite part is the grille under the headlight that looks like a hotel room air conditioner.

Vents like that should not be left body color because it makes them look chintzy, like a hotel room air conditioner.

Those vent are odd looking and weird.

Funnily enough, the first thing I felt when I saw the new Explorer in the flesh was that it looked an awful like a Land Rover... can't blame Land Rover for making a car that looks like a car that looks like a Land Rover.

Now you have me wondering if the temperature control panel switches are blanked out, with a little sign that says "temperature and fan controls on wall". Because if both could be controlled separately, spider monkeys and Frankish warlords and panic-stricken Westinghouse appliances would run amok in heated coolness, shooting vapor trails of dry ice at all the remaining Philco television sets until Al Roker saved the day by rapping my knuckles.

Just another exciting day in my life.

They've essentially moulded the Evoque or features from the Evoque into the front of the car.

Personally I think the car looks much better in its current form. However I do like the rear taillights and the overall body shape, it's an improvement - the front end...not so much.
It's just the grill, maybe front bumper too; but definitely the front grill.

It's definitely Range Rover; but I'm not so sure on the new 'baby-face' Evoque type front. It's lost most of its maturity IMO.

Last edited:
That's a lot of awfully low front overhang.

This kills the off-road capability.

I like the Evoque-inspired styling. But, it is making it look very soft. If it impacts the capability, it just isn't worth it.

Am I the only one that thinks it looks fine, for a Range Rover?

The Evoque look just feels too... "fashiony", for the Rangey. It works for the smaller vehicle, and I'm glad that's selling well, but I've always liked the more architectural, hewn-from-rock look of the current (er, pre-most-recent facelift) RR, and to a lesser extent, the Disco. This looks soft for the sake of keeping up with the neighbours on the other side of the hedge line. It also looks like it's sacrificed a solid chunk of breakover angle.

From an engineering standpoint, it's surely brilliant, as JLR really is serious about actually utilizing the benefits of aluminium construction (nudge nudge, Audi), but this doesn't have the timeless design of the previous generation, at all.

It looks like a Jaguar SUV. 💡

Funnily enough, on the occasions I've driven an Evoque I've thought it feels much more like a Jaguar than it does a Range Rover.

Jay
Am I the only one that thinks it looks fine, for a Range Rover?

Nope. I don't mind it either. I'm surprised people seem to think it's as much of a departure from the current model as they're making out. It's still instantly recognisable as a Range Rover, more so than the Evoque and realistically more so than the Range Rover Sport.

It still has the "floating" roof, still has the clamshell hood, it still has the vents on the side, albeit moved to the doors from the front wings and more like the vents on the pre-facelift Range Rovers, and it still has the utterly straight window line of previous Range Rovers.

As for details, I quite like the implied curved line running from the bottoms of the doors up to the rear bumper, and it looks less bling than the latest versions of the current Range Rover.

And as Niky says, the new Explorer looks more like a Range Rover than the other way around - and even then, it isn't even slightly as well-resolved in most areas.

Much as I like the current Range Rover, this one has already made it look a bit old-hat.

Funnily enough, the first thing I felt when I saw the new Explorer in the flesh was that it looked an awful like a Land Rover... can't blame Land Rover for making a car that looks like a car that looks like a Land Rover.

This ^

I actually quite like it, looks like a Range, and i'm glad it doesn't look like a Landy (i do like Landys as well), it helps seperate the two.

Wow this new one is pretty hideous, when I first saw the pics I thought gosh it looks like a generic SUV from Ford, Chrysler, Hyundai etc. Its uncanny similarity to the Ford on the previous page is ridiculous and makes the Range Rover look cheap. Maybe they think the non clued in European's, Chinese, Middle Eastern customers won't know of its existence! This also reminds me of the new Gran Cherokee.

It's like the tried to put some Evoque in it but thought about how to keep it restrained to appeal to the people who are going to buy it but it ended up being bland and not unique in a good way. I do love the Evoque but that look doesn't translate to this at all and probably wouldn't look right as an enlarged carbon copy anyway.

My favourite is still the original 2002 3rd gen Range Rover, so damn classy and unique in its day. If I had a choice I would still buy one of those over this new one.

Robin.

Doesn't look too bad, my favourite Range Rovers design wise are the early Mk3's, they manage to look classy without being to blingy with all the chrome and big wheels.

Never thought I'd say this but, I'd prefer the boxy design :lol: Makes me think what the reaction would be if they made the Mercedes G-Wagon all curvy...

On the other hand, it is still distinguishable as a Range Rover, and like the Evoque, it'll probably still be more than capable of what it's supposed to do despite its appearance.

I'm still surprised that people think it's such an awful design. It really isn't that different from the current one, just a little more stretched giving it proportions more similar to the Range Rover Sport. And the more I look at it next to the Ford Explorer, the more I think that particular comparison is a load of old cock.

I don't doubt for a second that out on the road, the new Range Rover will be any less expensive-looking and imperious than the current one. Possibly more so, since it's grown a bit.

I'm growing to like it a little bit more, so maybe it will mature nicely...although I'm still not convinced of the front end. :(

homeforsummer
I don't doubt for a second that out on the road, the new Range Rover will be any less expensive-looking and imperious than the current one. Possibly more so, since it's grown a bit.

In my opinion I think it actually won't be. Still, better judging this when I see it in the metal...which won't be hard as there are three Range Rovers and a Disco in my parent's street alone. :indiff: :lol:

That's a lot of awfully low front overhang.

This kills the off-road capability.

Air suspension. If it matches or exceeds the current L322, at off road height, it'll have similar ground clearance, approach, departure and ramp breakover angles to the rest of the range (bar the Defender) and the same wading depth.

Back