Online issues...

• Thread starter xZeKa_
  • 34 comments
Belgium
Belgium
xZeKa_
This question might have been asked multiple times. The reason why I ask it again is because I never find a proper answer... I adore GT6 and so does my friend however, we are not able to join each other if either of us hosts a lobby. When we join someone else's lobby, we can see each other in the lobby but we can't see each other on the track. We also can't hear each other. When I go off the track, I noticed his name was "barber poling"* as they sometimes say and he has the same issue with me. So I back out of the lobby and when I got in, it says he was driving on the track. Until I entered the track. After that he was barber poling (As soon as I enter the track or spectate players). However, we both have NAT-type 2 and we could perfectly play together on GT5, GTA4/5 and any COD game or Battlefield game. An important detail might be that we both got the game 2 weeks ago, and the first time we played online, we couldn't join each others lobby if we hosted it, but we could see each other on the track if we joined random lobbies. However since then, we never saw each other again. We both adore gt6 but not being able to play together makes us almost wanting to sell the game...
Another important thing is that if we are in a lobby with 12 people and 7 of these people are on the track, i'll see all 7 of them (apart from the 8th, being my friend obviously). However, he can only see 3 or maybe 4 and sometimes all 7 of them as well. We both played with cable connection today connected straight into our modems but not results at all. Cleared cache's -> no results either. Can someone please help us? that would be a dream...
Thanks in advance, Zeka

*For those who wonder what barber poling is: The background behind the printed name has a slight cross-hatch pattern moving across it. You can see this more clearly when the specific player(s) that suffer from this are printed in the light area's of the nameboard.

Ah, my bad. Have you tried testing your connection speed? Also, you could try reducing the race quality when setting up a GT6 room.

I don't know how to test the speed... however i'm certain a quick google search will give me a proper answer ;) All I do know is that we both had good connection (wireless I have an average of 97%)... But when we played wired, it didn't make any differences at all. When I create a lobby myself it says "you habe NAT-type 2 and your bandwith is Very high"... On my friend his screen it says "nat-type 2 and bandwith high"... I only assume this means that it's not necessary to lower the race quality. Also, now that I think about it, i'm pretty sure I tried lowering the race quality...

@xZeKa_ Try turning all in-game music off as well as User BGM & see if that helps. This used to cause online issues in GT5, dunno about GT6 but it's worth a shot.

👍

VBR
@xZeKa_ Try turning all in-game music off as well as User BGM & see if that helps. This used to cause online issues in GT5, dunno about GT6 but it's worth a shot.

👍
I think it is still a problem in GT6.

I just assumed if he was using mics... the music would mute anyway...
But does it still play (silently) and interfere?

No idea, never used mics in GT6. I think that both GT5 & 6 are pushing the PS3 to it's limits (& maybe beyond), so it's just common sense not to add any additional burdens like streaming music. Turning it off in GT5 definitely helped some people with certain online problems, so it's worth trying it in GT6 as well.

@xZeKa_ Maybe something here might be of some help too.

👍

Last edited:
Yes, I play with a headset... would turning of the music & BGM really help? I can't see how but i'll try it for sure!

Yes, I play with a headset... would turning of the music & BGM really help? I can't see how but i'll try it for sure!

People report all sorts of issues running the game with the personal music.
IMHO - use another device to listen to music while you race... let the PS3 concentrate on running the game.

Have you & your friend tried racing with your headsets & all music turned off, if so how did it go?

yesterday after psn update it's was worse than before
even with three people in the lobby, we were not ble to seen each others
when more people in, there is chat problem, some ears others , some don't
and last night we were thrown out of the loby all at the same time and lobby owner too ..

it's becoming to be a nightmare ...
hope the patch and server maintenance solved this

Please do not talk about how GT6's online has issues until you have tried NASCAR '14's online mode...

You don't understand... NASCAR '14 online makes GT6's online look like a gift from the heavens... It is SO bad...:banghead:
I do understand perfectly but it's still irrelevant. It's like sitting in a restaurant and getting served an overcooked, dry t-bone steak when you ordered "rare" and someone says, "you think that's bad, last week at the Keg I ordered a steak "rare" and it came to the table black" That's great, but it doesn't fix my steak does it?

it's so annoying... gt6 is the only game on ps3 that can satisfy me and my buddy's need for cars... but also the only one not working -_-

I wonder if the point isn't that there just aren't many, or perhaps any, serving it up extremely well. :(
Are there any games that work perfectly smoothly online?

From what I see mentioned, it sounds like it's all a matter of different degrees of various issues.

And I'm not even convinced we can blame the game specifically and totally for it, because the vast differences between people's internet connections qualities must have something to do with it.

I'm having INSANE slowness, for example, it took my game a full 10 minutes just to collect my MINI VGT car, specifically loading the reward screen after finishing the event.
Edit: This slow loading is also extending to single player, more specifically B-spec mode.

Last edited:
I'm having INSANE slowness, for example, it took my game a full 10 minutes just to collect my MINI VGT car, specifically loading the reward screen after finishing the event.
Edit: This slow loading is also extending to single player, more specifically B-spec mode.

That's troubling.
I haven't had any slowness or issues surprisingly.
I did the mini super lap, I watched the VGT movie. Entered seasonals. Tried bspec out.
All seemed okay.
:confused:
Also, to begin with, I had a smooth & trouble free update process as well. Took less than 15 minutes I think.
Though I did start this morning before 8am US EST. So maybe that has something to do with it? Dunno. :indiff:

Okay but, gt6 is the only game (racing, open world, fps, ...) where we have these issues on and not a single suggestion on here has helped so far .. :/

That's troubling.
I haven't had any slowness or issues surprisingly.
I did the mini super lap, I watched the VGT movie. Entered seasonals. Tried bspec out.
All seemed okay.
:confused:
Also, to begin with, I had a smooth & trouble free update process as well. Took less than 15 minutes I think.
Though I did start this morning before 8am US EST. So maybe that has something to do with it? Dunno. :indiff:

I had a smooth download as well. But these issues are still occurring, and they have become VERY frustrating.
Is there a way to delete all of the GT6 update data without it taking the in-game progress with it?
I hate to do it, but I think I'm going to have to wipe my PS3 clean of the Gran Turismo 6 updates and reinstall them from scratch, if possible, but I don't want to lose all of my in-game progress in the process...

Pretty sure you can save your game separately. You put it on a USB or if you have that playstation network online storage or something. Basically - it just has to be saved not on the ps3. You save it somewhere else.
Provided your old game save is not corrupted.
If it is, I have NO IDEA about this because I've never had a corrupted game save, so I really don't know what the symptoms of that are, or the signs.

Anyway... lots of people have described complete reinstalls as helping some problems.

But also, after an update, it always seems as if they left a wrench behind. And things are buggy for a day or 2.
So I don't know what to think.

Though I didn't have problems (as I described above not having problems)...
Today our club could NOT create a fixed host lobby. It wouldn't allow people to join. The fixed hosting is completely messed up.

So perhaps there's a combination of things going on for you. It's really hard to say.

Pretty sure you can save your game separately. You put it on a USB or if you have that playstation network online storage or something. Basically - it just has to be saved not on the ps3. You save it somewhere else.
Provided your old game save is not corrupted.
If it is, I have NO IDEA about this because I've never had a corrupted game save, so I really don't know what the symptoms of that are, or the signs.

Anyway... lots of people have described complete reinstalls as helping some problems.

But also, after an update, it always seems as if they left a wrench behind. And things are buggy for a day or 2.
So I don't know what to think.

Though I didn't have problems (as I described above not having problems)...
Today our club could NOT create a fixed host lobby. It wouldn't allow people to join. The fixed hosting is completely messed up.

So perhaps there's a combination of things going on for you. It's really hard to say.

I guess I'll wait for a few days to see if the issue is resolved with a patch and, in the mean time, I suppose that I will pop onto a few of my other favorite games such as Ace Combat Infinity, Doom Classic Complete Collection, Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn and, even though it's not a PlayStation game, Star Trek: Online.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back