323i Touring / 323Ci

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 163 comments
United States
United States
Hey Guys! Here's my E46 323i Wagon (2000)! She's been in the family since around 2003 with 49,000M on the ODO. It has been sitting since 2014, drove probably couple times in 2016. But it's been sitting for quite a bit. I'm beyond thrilled that it has been passed down to me. I grew up in the back seat. I always loved the E46 chassis. It's probably one of the most beautiful BMW Chassis's built. Currently has 118,800 miles. Everything is original. There's quite a bit of work that needs to be done. Already dumped 1,000 miles since late August. I will be putting her in storage for winter, living in Upstate New York is brutal on vehicles during Winter. @Slash knows all about this :P. Anyway here is the current projects, and future project! Gonna be a fun project to do with my dad!

Paint is quite rough, there is a couple dents on the roof from an outside garage collapsing on it one winter, pretty deep scratches around the rear and front.

Completed
  • Change Front Right Corner Light Socket (it got corroded) - Should get this part sometime this week, or next
  • Change Wiper Blades haven't been changed since actually not sure - Should get this Friday
- Radio not turning on
- Change Corner Lenses, Side Markers, Rear Tail Lights to Euro Spec

- Double Din Radio
- Remove Roof Rack
- E46 Sport Steering Wheel, Current looks outdated.

Future Plans:
- Bit of bodywork to do, might need a good paint correction and some spots resprayed, including some surface rust to deal with.
- replace front bumper with MTech 1 or 2 Front Bumper. Whatever i find.

Yes, I shall be posting lots of pictures when updates happen, and yes she is very dirty, however, haven't had time to clean her :(

ultimate goal is to do a full M3 Swap
swap to manual

Last edited:
One of the best-looking BMWs, in the best bodystyle (because wagons, duh), in a really nice colour, too. Midnight blue just works.

Honestly, I really like the wheels, too. The slight, understated concave style looks really good to me. I even like the amber lights, though I can see why you'd want to swap them. Best of luck, looking forward to seeing more photos! Engine and interior, please! :D

One of the best-looking BMWs, in the best bodystyle (because wagons, duh), in a really nice colour, too. Midnight blue just works.

Honestly, I really like the wheels, too. The slight, understated concave style looks really good to me. I even like the amber lights, though I can see why you'd want to swap them. Best of luck, looking forward to seeing more photos! Engine and interior, please! :D

Thank you! It needs a bath badly! But I’ll get some good engine and interior shots!

For an auto E46 I highly recommend the electric fan swap vs. the clutch driven fan. The process is rather significant (you have to remove the bumper to remove the aux fan in the front), but it is a DIY project and it helps prevent the likelihood of a grenading fan from destroying your engine, hood, hoses, etc. If the expansion tank hasn't been done, you should do that, and the thermostat and hoses that go along with it.

I had to replace my power steering reservoir (leak), valve cover gasket (leak), oil filter housing (leak), control arm bushings (worn), and you should replace the water pump if it hasn't been done. Also I invented the zip tie method of keeping the hood insulation from drooping (you can find it on E46fanatics, I use the same screen name there).

Other things to consider:
- conversion to the storage package from smokers package (which was all cars in the US)
- VANOS seal replacement
- Software flash at the dealership (I needed this to remove a check engine light for oxygen sensors, just keep that in mind if you get that code)

Some tips for ownership:
- The kidneys break, careful when you drop and lift the hood
- conversion to double-din from business CD requires cutting away a plastic shelf behind the CD player and re-routing a bunch of wires
- every once in a while (maybe once per year) check the coolant fill tube, it'll probably be empty and need more coolant
- it's really not a bad car to work on yourself. There are extensive DIY walkthroughs for just about everything you might need.
- at some point, you'll need to replace a pulley
- don't try the zip-tie method of fixing the window regulator. It doesn't hold up. Get the plastic replacement for the regulator component that fails. It's like $20 on amazon.

Edit:

BTW even though it didn't sound like it, I do love my E46

For an auto E46 I highly recommend the electric fan swap vs. the clutch driven fan. The process is rather significant (you have to remove the bumper to remove the aux fan in the front), but it is a DIY project and it helps prevent the likelihood of a grenading fan from destroying your engine, hood, hoses, etc. If the expansion tank hasn't been done, you should do that, and the thermostat and hoses that go along with it.

I had to replace my power steering reservoir (leak), valve cover gasket (leak), oil filter housing (leak), control arm bushings (worn), and you should replace the water pump if it hasn't been done. Also I invented the zip tie method of keeping the hood insulation from drooping (you can find it on E46fanatics, I use the same screen name there).

Other things to consider:
- conversion to the storage package from smokers package (which was all cars in the US)
- VANOS seal replacement
- Software flash at the dealership (I needed this to remove a check engine light for oxygen sensors, just keep that in mind if you get that code)

Some tips for ownership:
- The kidneys break, careful when you drop and lift the hood
- conversion to double-din from business CD requires cutting away a plastic shelf behind the CD player and re-routing a bunch of wires
- every once in a while (maybe once per year) check the coolant fill tube, it'll probably be empty and need more coolant
- it's really not a bad car to work on yourself. There are extensive DIY walkthroughs for just about everything you might need.
- at some point, you'll need to replace a pulley
- don't try the zip-tie method of fixing the window regulator. It doesn't hold up. Get the plastic replacement for the regulator component that fails. It's like $20 on amazon.

Edit:

BTW even though it didn't sound like it, I do love my E46

Thanks for the feedback! Will sure look into the electric fan! And I’m not too worried if something breaks, cause my dad does all the maintenance on his vehicles, so he has all the tools you could possibly need, so I’m sure he’ll help me around, when it comes to replacing things that need to be changed!

And for the window regulator it’s on it’s third, and my dad got annoyed with the stupid cheapness and reinforced it with metal wire, so it shouldn’t shatter on the driver side door. Hopefully.

Last edited:
And for the window regulator it’s on it’s third, and my dad got annoyed with the stupid cheapness and reinforced it with metal wire, so it shouldn’t shatter on the driver side door. Hopefully.

This is the solution I was referencing:

Bross BWR7
61K3-9UY4eL._SY355_.jpg

I think there's a specific one for driver and passenger sides.

This is the solution I was referencing:

Bross BWR7
61K3-9UY4eL._SY355_.jpg

I think there's a specific one for driver and passenger sides.

Wouldn’t it just break again though? It’s like one of the biggest flaw of the E46 Chassis is the damn window regulator

Wouldn’t it just break again though? It’s like one of the biggest flaw of the E46 Chassis is the damn window regulator

This is much beefier plastic in the location that breaks in the OEM clip. I think it's a better solution than putting in a new OEM regulator. I have one of them in my car with no issues thus far.

Most BMW models of that era had really bad window regulators. They were notorious for failing on the E39 chassis as well.

--

Nice car! I've always liked the E46. Enjoy it and looking forward to reading more about it.

Most BMW models of that era had really bad window regulators. They were notorious for failing on the E39 chassis as well.

--

Nice car! I've always liked the E46. Enjoy it and looking forward to reading more about it

Thank you! I got more pics coming soon!

This is much beefier plastic in the location that breaks in the OEM clip. I think it's a better solution than putting in a new OEM regulator. I have one of them in my car with no issues thus far.

Fair enough! Much appreciated.

I talked my dad about the history of the E46, i was to young to remember when he bought it. He bought it in 2003, with 45k miles, for around $19,500. I shall have to correct the OP with correct info! :P

@lbpomg95 asked for interior shots! Here they are!

2RyRRf5.jpg

Cv9Uxed.jpg

Last edited:
I was browsing through the e46fanatics forums and realized people were deleting their roof racks. It blew me away how clean Wagons look without the roof rack! However, the OEM Trim Molding is $160 a side 🤬, which is beyond too expensive and ridiculous. However, I found BLACK ROOF TOP TRIM MOLDING KIT on eBay, that is made in US. *currently pondering if I should do this*

Thoughts?

This is how it looks without the roof rack.

attachment.php

I'm not sure I'm sold - there's something charming about the utilitarian look of the rails on yours. Can't deny that red one looks clean though.

I'm not sure I'm sold - there's something charming about the utilitarian look of the rails on yours. Can't deny that red one looks clean though.

The Orientblau Metallic - Pre Face Lift is rather a tricky color without having the right angle to see it w/out a roof rack. I must say it looks fantastic.

2kg3-5.jpg

Story Time:
@Ameer67

5 years ago or so, we had a massive snowstorm, and the Touring was stored in a portable garage, and it collapsed. Here is the damage it caused to the E46; It saddens me the paint is so rough on this chassis as-well it will need a respray eventually, and some body work.

Front Left of the roof.
e9d5aab5a3.jpeg

Middle Left of the Roof.

877f22bc6a.jpeg

On an unrelated note; not sure where this came from.
f4dd502ada.jpeg

Ok, so in the second pic, you can probably buff that out. I know that that's what everyone says hahaha, that'll buff out! But seriously, I think some rubbing compound would take that a long way. But what I really wanted to say was that I was ready to toss all of my black plastic trim (featured heavily in that photo just above the scratch) because it had turned grey and faded. And then I found ultima tire and trim guard and... wow... like new. You can use it on rubber seals and any black plastic and it'll take it back to black. I used it and was blown away, but then I thought... well how long will it last. 6 months later I started to see some more grey on the plastic. I thought to myself, applying this stuff for 5 minutes every 6 months is totally worth it. So I re-applied and figured I'd be doing that every 6 months.

That was in 2012. I've never applied again, it's still black. I still have the bottle I bought then (used across many cars at this point).

(Granted I garage/cover my cars... but I do wash them so you'd think it would have come off)

Ok, so in the second pic, you can probably buff that out. I know that that's what everyone says hahaha, that'll buff out! But seriously, I think some rubbing compound would take that a long way. But what I really wanted to say was that I was ready to toss all of my black plastic trim (featured heavily in that photo just above the scratch) because it had turned grey and faded. And then I found ultima tire and trim guard and... wow... like new. You can use it on rubber seals and any black plastic and it'll take it back to black. I used it and was blown away, but then I thought... well how long will it last. 6 months later I started to see some more grey on the plastic. I thought to myself, applying this stuff for 5 minutes every 6 months is totally worth it. So I re-applied and figured I'd be doing that every 6 months.

That was in 2012. I've never applied again, it's still black. I still have the bottle I bought then (used across many cars at this point).

(Granted I garage/cover my cars... but I do wash them so you'd think it would have come off)

Ah thanks for the info! I think it’ll be more something I’d do next year, I’m about to put her in storage before winter starts! I am heavily considering removing the OEM roof rack.

Well if you want any extra reasons to justify it you might get an extra MPG or two.

That's how I justified ripping the rear seats and surrounding interior trim out of my car and turning it into an uncomfortable van!

Ah thanks for the info! I think it’ll be more something I’d do next year, I’m about to put her in storage before winter starts! I am heavily considering removing the OEM roof rack.

I say go for the roof rack delete if you're going to change out the suspension and drop the ride. I'm not sure how well it will really work at standard ride height. The car in the photo you posted has no wheel gaps.

Thanks for the input guys! I am planning to move by the end of the year, and if that's the case I should be getting my own garage bay.

Here's an updated list to do:
- Double Din Radio
- Remove Roof Rack
- Bit of bodywork to do, might need a good paint correction and some spots resprayed, including some surface rust to deal with.
- Give the interior a good clean, including leather seats.
- New set of wheels, current ones are a bit curbed rashed, and I never really liked them.

Thanks for the input guys! I am planning to move by the end of the year, and if that's the case I should be getting my own garage bay.

Here's an updated list to do:
- Double Din Radio
- Remove Roof Rack
- Give the interior a good clean, including leather seats.
- New set of wheels, current ones are a bit curbed rashed, and I never really liked them.

May I recommend style 68 for your wheel consideration.

uFT2FjN.jpg

17", which is not too big and not too small.

May I recommend style 68 for your wheel consideration.

uFT2FjN.jpg

17", which is not too big and not too small.

I never really liked those either! :indiff: I was looking toward aftermarket rims.

For example;
18x9" ET31 APEX EC-7
8075414400_19a1b61bef_c.jpg

I never really liked those either! :indiff: I was looking toward aftermarket rims.

For example;
18x9" ET31 APEX EC-7
8075414400_19a1b61bef_c.jpg

18s are a bit big for the car. Harsher ride, more tramlining (which you will get from this car even in 17s) when the tire tread is low. The ZHPs came with 18s, and it's fine, I've driven it. I prefer the 17s personally.

18s are a bit big for the car. Harsher ride, more tramlining (which you will get from this car even in 17s) when the tire tread is low. The ZHPs came with 18s, and it's fine, I've driven it. I prefer the 17s personally.

I do agree. Then again, i just showed an example. I adore these style of rims.

These are rather nice as-well! 17x9" ET30 APEX ARC-8

attachment.php

Back