What have you done to your car today?

Ordered a grill emblem from a CXL trim Rendezvous to put on my CX. The old gray one just looked kind of naff.

emblem.PNG

I drove it, planned on putting in the fog lights, but it started raining. I still need to order new plastic trim parts around my windows & bumpers, maybe next month.

Tried to start it, Got it started, Some smoke came out, Stopped car, Looked underhood, couldn't see any fire or place where the smoke came from, see battery saying "Recharge", yet it was fine yesterday.

Now it is recharging.

Not done, but what happened.

Driving home from work, just cruising on the highway.
Then bam cruise control cuts out, look down, check engine light.

YAY Go me.

P0851 code.
Being a manual, didn't think I could get those P08xx codes

Not done, but what happened.

Driving home from work, just cruising on the highway.
Then bam cruise control cuts out, look down, check engine light.

YAY Go me.

P0851 code.
Being a manual, didn't think I could get those P08xx codes
Sure can. Not all of them, but there are some that pertain.

Sure can. Not all of them, but there are some that pertain.

Wasn't shifting or anything, just random.
So have to test the Neutral position sensor tomorrow as I have no Traction control or Cruise control.

Might just clear the code and see if it comes back.

My imp is 7 years old(which is unbecoming of a Japanese girl) and sometimes she likes to chuck tantrums, last time the ABS light came on and a shutdown and restart and everything was fine, ABS light has not come back since9.

Is this the drill in kit that taps into the flood lights? I thought about this for my Lexus because my old Taurus used to have them mounted under the mirrors and I kind of miss that now.

No no, no drill nothing. You just pop out the old ones and slip in the new ones.

The new ones have a taller metal backing plate that holds the projector compared to the original shorter plastic plate so they're harder to slip on.

Image is crystal clear though:

IMG_20180822_204919_390.jpg

I don't go out into the garage to work often but when I do I tend to do a lot.

I just finished my first oil change in the Highlander.

I'm now working on a loooong overdue cleaning of my Pilot. The top third of my armrest, I hate to admit, is what the entire thing looked like. The other two thirds has been cleaned and the bottom one third, which doesn't show up much, has had leather protector applied.

20180915_172255.jpg

Now on to the seats, dash, steering wheel, plastic panels... What have I started? :lol:

The Escape's battery was completely dead. Had to use USAA roadside assistance to get it started, ran it for a while in the driveway and went to the auto parts store. Bought a new battery to bring home and swap out, but car wouldn't start in the parking lot so one of the auto parts store guys swapped it out for me since tools were needed and I didn't have them with me.

Car will start again, just need to remember how to reset the clock.

TB
I don't go out into the garage to work often but when I do I tend to do a lot.

I just finished my first oil change in the Highlander.

I'm now working on a loooong overdue cleaning of my Pilot. The top third of my armrest, I hate to admit, is what the entire thing looked like. The other two thirds has been cleaned and the bottom one third, which doesn't show up much, has had leather protector applied.

View attachment 766266

Now on to the seats, dash, steering wheel, plastic panels... What have I started? :lol:

What a coincidence. Here's my FX driver's seat before and after leatherique.

seats.png

Been a while.

Back in May, I scored some '05-'06 RSX seats for my '02. Same shape, the padding's just better. My original seats were leather, which I hated, and were getting pretty torn up by now. They even fit in the trunk back when I still had the sub! I just had to swap over the airbags and all the wiring for them to play nice with my SRS light. Being junkyard seats, they were seriously dirty, but I was able to save them. Paid something like $60 for the pair, when they go for $5-600 from someone who knows the market for 'em.

I also got the traction bar, oil pan, and one of the engine mounts (the bay will be shaved and painted; every detail has been considered) for my Accord build powder coated, which I ended up not being charged for. We got as close to Toyota's "Quicksand" color as the shop had available. I still don't have the chassis for my engine; all the parts are in hand and it's sitting there waiting, I've just been running into a lot of bad luck these last few months so I haven't been able to save up a few grand for a clean body. Hopefully by Spring, though.

Otherwise... mainly just enjoying the DC5, going for drives when I can.

More recently, the alternator failed on me and killed the battery. The engine bay is so tight in this thing, I thought it was going to be a nightmare of a job, but it actually came out somewhat easily through the hole left by the removed passenger head light. I'll have to take that photo off my camera...

Last edited:
Found out that a rabbit has been sneaking in to my garage through the dog door and snacking on the electrical wires in my 330i. So I've been doing some soldering.

A few days ago, but at almost 240k miles my RSX's original radiator finally failed, so I stuck in a new rad, hoses, and thermostat.

One of my tires also developed a bubble. The whole set is low enough on tread that I can't replace just the one, and I can't afford a full set right now, so I'll be rocking the snows for a while...

Bought $10(set of 4) temporary rubber floor mats and removed the driver's side mini stick on mirror(a pet peeve when owners add those).
IMG_6586.JPG

Got an oil change, serviced the transmission and I'm still trying to sort out a persistent check engine light reading "water in fuel condition." Goes away when I fill up the tank, and it will come back if my tank is less than half. It seems to happen only during snow/rain. I'm debating if I should just live with it since it might just be an overly-sensitive fuel composition sensor.

The 911 recently went into service to get an oil change and all fluids replaced. Car feels livelier after the service. The old drive belts were starting to fray, so while already in the shop, all of them got replaced, and the AC system is recharged in time for summer. The AC now has dye in it, so when all the system loses refrigerant again, we'll be able to trace where the leak is coming from. New tires are coming up soon and the car should be mechanically fully ready to go.

Back