• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 45 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/05/2016-chevy-malibu-new-york-teaser/

2016-Chevrolet-Malibu-001.jpg

Well, current Malibu is junk. Humongously stupid heavy, crappy engines, biggest external dimensions but the worst interior room and smallest wheelbase, etc. Most praise it ever got was "I... Guess this is better than the one that debuted in 2007?" Probably figured they might as well give up when trying to scallop out the back of the front seats and calling it a refresh was met with even more indifference.

Didn't they debut the current car like 2 years ago? And then they had to refresh it immediately because it was ugly? And now they've got another one?

As I recall, the immediate refresh was to address the terrible rear seat legroom, and the 2014 refresh was to bring it in line with Impala/SS styling. The car was a mess from beginning to end, lesser quality materials, poor engine/transmission options, bad chassis setups. It was a rental car from the start, nothing more.

Hopefully with this new one they haven't dropped the ball. The Chrysler 200 is enough of a threat to cause an actual need to design a good car, let alone the fact that you'd be crazy to pick the current Malibu over a Cruze that isn't much smaller. Here's also hoping that Chevrolet is sticking engines in there that are worth a damn.

I'd be interested to see if Chevrolet will take a page from the competition and offer AWD or diesel power in the near-future.

ec5xNxJ3a_lflz3v5OKUXGrUtWoQDbpy9alFaCfqkPB1yLBVhBX7xRUDKxmQzT-ilKhUpBOzlVdRvpi68w6Tb9ueR1VXLiEfB1aQEfV3BRQKHDMmUYrQ3imchLCP64B_hqDF=w511-h288-nc

FxIZgI4-3AjbyoSdrlsFOLToAOSUElv43_pHqLuoDYuFuVJPWrm3cUW6LFwLoXZVG1j-7SN2oGugjskt-CUFWOAKJvNW2-wuY5lv-LMbVRNKfZnzU3XnPm4wpcMCOW8ZBsnFBlbiCPXbSzF3903LD30mO3k5o1qx48bGmlDBhu4=w511-h288-nc

this is the one currently on sale in Oz. What's wrong with it? I have only seen a couple.

This is one of the times the rest of the GM cars should rebadge variants off the Cadillac. Unlike how the Cimmaron was a rebaged J-car.

If it's 100 times better than the previous one, it'll still be awful.

Why? If it takes ques from the successful award winning Impala of current, then how is that still awful? Considering how beloved the new Impala became which is not something usual for Chevy, it would make the car a stand out in it's range I'd think.

I think it largely depends on the model.

The Impala looks good, even on lower trimmed models. The Sonic, despite carrying some of the oldest styling cues, is still my favorite of the current Chevrolets. Its a shame that the updates to the Cruze and Equinox were so minimal, those designs have not aged well. They may only be five years old, but it may as well be a decade at this point. But, if you can really say anything about Chevrolet, its that the previous design language was safe, and safe is never fun. Considering the number of distinctive designs the brand has had over the years, its a shame. It'll be interesting to see how many of the Stingray elements trickle down to everything else over the next few years.

I'm split on how much I want better styling or better engineering on the Malibu. As it stands, the current car is bad in both respects. I could tolerate a better-looking model with the current 2.0T, but it really needs the chassis improvements to make it class-competitive. Closer to the Regal in ride/handling would be a good start.

If Chevrolet made everything in their lineup look like the Impala, that'd be wonderful. I'm wondering why the Impala has a different design language then everything else.
I agree. The Impala just doesn't look "Chevrolet-ish".

The Impala morphs from a different car from to back. Starts off like a Camaro and ends like an A5. I'd like to see a Monte Carlo with that front end.

The Impala morphs from a different car from to back. Starts off like a Camaro and ends like an A5. I'd like to see a Monte Carlo with that front end.
I see a Malibu in the front and a BMW 3 series in the back, but front-end, I see a Hyundai Sonata.

Hot damn, this thing actually looks really good. It's like they finally got that Chevy corporate BS grill right.

xfrl8w1.jpg

****. Tree'd.

edit: Did anyone see the powertrains on this thing? They snipped the balls right off of it. What balls it had, anyway. What was wrong with the NA 2.5L that they had to drop it and cut 50hp and torque for a measly 1.5L that gets only one or two mpg better?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back