BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
1249513726380708968.jpg

On 22 May 2015, the BMW Group will unveil the new BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage to the global public for the first time at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este. This model is the BMW Design Team’s tribute to the BMW 3.0 CSL, a timeless classic and iconic BMW Coupe from the 1970s. The BMW3.0CSLHommage is a nod to the engineering achievement exemplified by the BMW 3.0 CSL in its lightweight design and performance. The Hommage draws on the character of the earlier model and endows it with cutting-edge materials to translate it into the present in a new and exciting guise.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...lId=6&id=T0217429EN&left_menu_item=node__4314

I sense some BMW VGT vibes from that car, I bet some details will be taken from that, and spruced up with details from older 3.0 CSL models. It should be an interesting hommage.

There's a bit of VGT, bit of CSL and a hint of i8 as far as I can see. Roofline very much apes the CSL, but that cut-out through the rear light is very i8. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

There's a bit of VGT, bit of CSL and a hint of i8 as far as I can see. Roofline very much apes the CSL, but that cut-out through the rear light is very i8. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

So, wing from the VGT, roof of a CSL and i8 rear lights. A curious blend, if anything, but it should be interesting to see the final result.

Also, I think this might also work as a prelude to the rumoured M2 CSL. The shoe fits...

Their VGT was (while excellent and I liked it a lot) rather realistic, so its wouldn't be surprising if it essentially showed up in real life

That rear light looks great, the way it feeds into the wing pleases me.

Conside
While it isn't the 3.0CSL Hommage itself, it's almost exactly the same car. I bet many design clues from this will find their way into the neo-3.0CSL, I'm sure of it. Spoilers, bodywork, and perhaps even the engine...
Considering that they're stuffing that 3.0 twinturbo into everything and their dog these days, that's a given..

[EMAIL
Leonidae@MFT, post: 10699453, member: 132270[/EMAIL]]Considering that they're stuffing that 3.0 twinturbo into everything and their dog these days, that's a given..

Quite. If one thing can be certain, it'll be the engine. And after all, it's called the 3.0 CSL for a reason (or two, but one of them is because of the 3.0 litre engine)...

Clever how they took some i8 design (the rear wing light gap thingy) and merged it with the wide arches of the 70's CSL. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

BMW really has turned it all around from the horrid boot bangle era. Remember THAT 7 series *shudders*.

Clever how they took some i8 design (the rear wing light gap thingy) and merged it with the wide arches of the 70's CSL. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

BMW really has turned it all around from the horrid boot bangle era. Remember THAT 7 series *shudders*.

Eh, I liked the 7 series *shrugs*, but I see your point. This CSL definitely has all the makings of a very cool concept car, it seems fitting that it's going to be a Villa D'Este car.

Maybe this is what should've been the BMW VGT?

Although the BMW VGT we have now is all around awesome, i think it would be better if we had this instead.

Eh, I liked the 7 series *shrugs*, but I see your point. This CSL definitely has all the makings of a very cool concept car, it seems fitting that it's going to be a Villa D'Este car.

I think it was more that the BMW's from that era were too bold for the brand.

It being German and like other manufacturers there relatively conservative it kinda missed it's target market especially on a flagship model where the audience was probably older and wanting something less bold looking.

Ultimately the Chief designer Bangle moved on and you can see a instant change in the styling of the brand after that point.

I think it was more that the BMW's from that era were too bold for the brand.

It being German and like other manufacturers there relatively conservative it kinda missed it's target market especially on a flagship model where the audience was probably older and wanting something less bold looking.

Ultimately the Chief designer Bangle moved on and you can see a instant change in the styling of the brand after that point.

I can tell that such a change happened, yes. But at the same time, BMW gained a diferent sort of boldness with cars such as the "i" series (i.e. the i3 and i8), while toning down the boldness on the main range of cars. Bangle tried to give BMW something to make the brand stand out, but he was excessive in doing so, and BMW wound up having far too controversial designs. It put many people off, that can be assured.

Now, BMW has smoothed their design style. The 1-Series is still not that pretty, but it has improved...

I can tell that such a change happened, yes. But at the same time, BMW gained a diferent sort of boldness with cars such as the "i" series (i.e. the i3 and i8), while toning down the boldness on the main range of cars. Bangle tried to give BMW something to make the brand stand out, but he was excessive in doing so, and BMW wound up having far too controversial designs. It put many people off, that can be assured.

Now, BMW has smoothed their design style. The 1-Series is still not that pretty, but it has improved...

It is ironic that some of the cars now have ended up being bolder than even Bangle would have made them but BMW this time, as you said, have compartmentalised them into a sub brand so people wanting something quirky and different can go there and it doesn't affect the main range who's buyers want the conservative look. The i8 is one of the best looking 'normal' cars I have seen in a while.

I guess you have to find the balance between doing something new and not alienating your loyal customers.

Latest Posts

Back