BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage

Ouch...I love it...it really is so strange that it's beautiful.

While I can see that train of thought, there are plenty of quirky cars out there that are less of an insult to good car designers worldwide (Like the Citroen DS, for example). The Puma is just a compilation of awkward lines that ends up becoming a downright heresy.

I like it almost love it, but cant stand the color, it worked on the original back in the day, but on this it just doesn't seem right. Almost too glossy or light compared to the original yellow.

Hmmm....

Exterior looks very 6 Series... with a Mansory or Project Khan styled body kit.

Interior is usual concept car silliness.

I quite like some elements of this, but others are a bit iffy. Choice of the deep kidneys is understandable, as it harks back to the original, but it ends up dominating the front end where the original's kidneys were simply another element of it.

In fact really, the front end is the only part I object to. The arches are neat, the rear spoiler is an interesting development of the kind of cutaway sections we've seen on the i8, and I like how similar the glasshouse is to the original.

I think the biggest problem though is that the i8 exists. It's redefined what a sleek BMW coupe looks like in the modern era. Stylistically the i8 is more like an homage to the M1 with the low grille and wedge shape, but it rather shows the folly of trying to ape the past.

The grille is probably going to end up being used on the X7.

I can see the design cues they were following, but I don't think they've judged it well. Dechrome the slats, bring the bottom edge up to follow the line implied by the "Spartans helmet " (lol) cheeks, and make it an inch or two narrower and it would have been fine.

The colour I understand, but don't agree with, makes the car look plasticy and cheap. White with M tricolour would look awesome, but I think they avoided that to differentiate it from the VGT.

Funny you mention white...
Screenshot_2015-05-25-16-13-29.png

The only thing about the looks of the 3.0 CSL Hommage that bothers me are the headlights. I mean, why are they so thin? It just doesn't look good in proportion to the grill.

People are expecting concepts to look like the finished product nowadays. There is still time to change the front end. styling cues may not even carry over to production. Give it a minute, folks. I'm glad BMW are showing this to the world.

People are expecting concepts to look like the finished product nowadays. There is still time to change the front end. styling cues may not even carry over to production. Give it a minute, folks. I'm glad BMW are showing this to the world.
>implying this isnt the finished product

That's what I mean. I doubt it will be a production car.

I see what you mean. This would be a finished product, but the VGT looks far more like the rumored CSL version that BMW is making for the 2-Series. I'd say this concept was made towards a more "show-off design cues" idea.

BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage R

1384465838651475301.jpg

1384465839127614053.jpg

1384465839056112229.jpg

Looks like it was bound to happen at some point, a CSL hommage-esque car with similar livery... Can't say I'm entirely surprised to see it happening, but nevertheless the car does look a lot better now. Despite the awkward front grille, the livery suits the car much better than the original color of this concept.

It is also getting really close to the BMW VGT now design-wise, looking like that, haha...

Back