2015 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
F1 took a break after Austria to do some testing and for some drivers to attend other events such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Now F1 returns "home" to Silverstone. Lewis Hamilton took the win last year but Rosberg is riding off the back of a good performance in Austria. This should be a good one.

Silverston-Circuit.jpg

Event date: 3-5 July 2015
Number of Laps: 52
Circuit Length: 5.891 km (3.661 mi)
Race Distance: 306.198 km (190.263 mi)
Lap Record: Mark Webber - 1:33.401

2014 Podium:
1st - Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
2nd - Valtteri Bottas - Williams
3rd - Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull

Sky Sports' Classic Races;

Tuesday - 1994
Wednesday - 1995
Thursday - 1993

It looks like Rosberg is on a roll now, and his confidence and motivation seems to be growing. I'm hoping he'll be challenging Hamilton, not letting him get away and just cruise at the front.

Considering the nature of Silverstone, with its long straights and fast corners, it is yet another track that favores the Mercs. Unless Ferrari have managed to narrow the gap during testing (yeah right) or pulles a rabbit out of the hat in terms of tire and pit strategy, the Mercs will rule supreme up front again.

Last edited:
Alonso's power unit was damaged in the crash with Raikkonen at the Red Bull Ring.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/327500/alonso-could-face-further-engine-penalties/

Ugghh, NBC commentators said it like it is; it's like giving an NFL player a three field penalty. It just doesn't make that much sense! Even though it does work out so the grid place penalties can carry over to the next race.

So with this FGT Silverstone seasonal, we're seeing some blistering fast times, although that's with some drifting and creative tuning thrown in. I think I already managed to beat the 2014 pole time by a tenth or two, but the outright fastest pole (in current track config.) is still about 5 seconds away for me. That's my ultimate goal with the seasonal. I'll probably need a better tune to get close. I know my racing lines are very good at least, just need to take a few corners faster.

I bet we might see a 1:34 pole time at least, if not a high 1:33 if somebody is feeling especially good that day!

Also, I hope we don't get any exploding tires or Fins flying off at the Aintree Corner. But I do hope we see some sort of drama.

Last edited:
So with this FGT Silverstone seasonal, we're seeing some blistering fast times, although that's with some drifting and creative tuning thrown in. I think I already managed to be the 2014 pole time by a tenth or two, but the outright fastest pole (in current track config.) is still about 5 seconds away for me. That's my ultimate goal with the seasonal. I'll probably need a better tune to get close. I know my racing lines are very good at least, just need to take a few corners faster.

Eh?

I don't see why not, but which seasonal where/what on? Just seemed a little unexplained ;)

Was under the impression saying "this FGT Silverstone seasonal", meaning the current GT6 Formula Gran Turismo Silverstone time trial, would be enough explanation. It has a rather easy gold time of 1:40 I might add.

Ugghh, NBC commentators said it like it is; it's like giving an NFL player a three field penalty. It just doesn't make that much sense! Even though it does work out so the grid place penalties can carry over to the next race.
The rules were changed because the original system was deemed too difficult, with penalties carrying over from race to race; if a driver qualified eighteenth, he couldn't rightly serve five places, so he would be moved to the back for one race, then make up the difference in the next.

Bear in mind that grid penalties for engine changes is not a new thing. It has been around for years - albeit in a simpler form - for years. It's only proving to be unpopular now because engine reliability is low. The penalty does what it is designed to do, seriously discouraging teams from making changes to their engines to try and get an advantage, so I don't think that knee-jerk reactions to a temporary phase are a wise idea.

Perhaps a better solution would be for the manufacturers to build a better engine ...

Was under the impression saying "this FGT Silverstone seasonal", meaning the current GT6 Formula Gran Turismo Silverstone time trial, would be enough explanation. It has a rather easy gold time of 1:40 I might add.

This is the thread for the real-world race, there's nothing to link it to any of the game software from the other forums, but I take your point. There's probably some seasonal discussion there which might be more suited to explaining your times/methods.

I am another one who prefers the old layout.

I prefer it, but the more I drive the new layout in Project Cars the more I like it. That's excepting the sharp left-hander (turn 3?).

This is the thread for the real-world race, there's nothing to link it to any of the game software from the other forums, but I take your point. There's probably some seasonal discussion there which might be more suited to explaining your times/methods.

I can't believe how oblivious you sound in terms of what's going on in the rest of the forums and GT6. :lol:

I've already visited that thread, I just figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it here as well. After all, to some degree

The rules were changed because the original system was deemed too difficult, with penalties carrying over from race to race; if a driver qualified eighteenth, he couldn't rightly serve five places, so he would be moved to the back for one race, then make up the difference in the next.

Bear in mind that grid penalties for engine changes is not a new thing. It has been around for years - albeit in a simpler form - for years. It's only proving to be unpopular now because engine reliability is low. The penalty does what it is designed to do, seriously discouraging teams from making changes to their engines to try and get an advantage, so I don't think that knee-jerk reactions to a temporary phase are a wise idea.

Perhaps a better solution would be for the manufacturers to build a better engine ...

While I only know the modern day (for me, that would fall under 2012-now) regulations in detail, I've known that engine penalties had been around for quite a while, if not decades and decades. I'm curious though as to what those less complex penalties were?

I'm all for penalizing those who deserve it; even though I want Mclaren to improve and not get these penalties, they can't pull it off yet, and they are just as deserving as any. But, the fact, even though it's not new to this season, or even decade (assuming), that grid penalties can pile up like that really seems absurd. It comes off as a bit of a cycle in which unreliability is its own penalty but unreliability is punished with penalties to discourage it.

Probably beating a dead horse in even discussing this though, no?

I can't believe how oblivious you sound in terms of what's going on in the rest of the forums and GT6.

I don't read every sub=forum and I no longer play GT6. As I said, a long explanation of technique and timings would (in my opinion) be better in the relevant sub-forum rather than the real-world race thread.

As for the engine penalties, I think it's the cumulative effects of the new penalties added to the in-race element that people dislike.

I can't believe how oblivious you sound in terms of what's going on in the rest of the forums and GT6. :lol:
And believe it or not, not everyone here on GTP is here because of GT. :)

Anywho... I might sound like I've been given some of McLaren's 'good stuff' that they give to Alonso, but I think we could see at least one McLaren score points this weekend.

I've already visited that thread, I just figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it here as well. After all, to some degree

I can't believe how pretentious you come across using such rhetoric, or how oblivious you are about the world of F1 and what current round they're at that coincides with the very specific thread title describing such. This has nothing to do with some pedantic, crummy seasonal with a fictional F1 wanna-be. I say this in the nicest of ways :D

@NW48 I'm more excited to see the Hulk hype continue as the spec-b Force India finally appears. Though I am looking forward to the power upgrade to the McLaren and them supposedly gaining some insight from the test...though I'm not sure I'd go as far as points. I think they need to finish a race.

Last edited:
While I only know the modern day (for me, that would fall under 2012-now) regulations in detail, I've known that engine penalties had been around for quite a while, if not decades and decades. I'm curious though as to what those less complex penalties were?
It was five parts for a gearbox change and ten for an engine change once they went over quota. Now it's five for each individual component and ten for a full change because the FIA wanted to stop teams from changing an entire engine because one part was about to give way - they would be getting a fresh engine with a minimal penalty. In some cases, it would be less than five places because penalties are applied in the order that they were incurred; at the 2009 Japanese Grand Prix, several drivers were hit for speeding under yellows during qualifying, and I'm pretty sure that one of them actually got promoted rather than demoted simply because so many people took a penalty.

Once upon a time, engine use was completely unrestricted - teams used to bring an engine tuned for qualifying, and then swap it out for a race-spec engine. But with engines getting increasingly expensive, the FIA has tried to clamp down on those practices. No system of penalties is ever really going to be perfect because it's so difficult to get a balance where drivers are adequately penalised without offering the teams the temptation of taking a strategic penalty.

The only thing that I can really think of is the reintroduction of qualifying tyres. That way, everyone has fresh race rubber - but if they go over the engine quota, they take a ten-place penalty and are forced to give up a set of race tyres.

@NW48 I'm more excited to see the Hulk hype continue as the spec-b Force India finally appears. Though I am looking forward to the power upgrade to the McLaren and them supposedly gaining some insight from the test...though I'm not sure I'd go as far as point. I think they need to finish a race.
Ah yes, the Spec-B FI car finally makes it's race debut. I wonder if they'll have the 'nostril' inlets on the nose like they did in the Austria test. My explanation is terrible so here's a pic if you haven't seen it already;
unnamed (2).png

Interesting concept, though I'll doubt we'll see it on the Spec-B car.

Ah yes, the Spec-B FI car finally makes it's race debut. I wonder if they'll have the 'nostril' inlets on the nose like they did in the Austria test. My explanation is terrible so here's a pic if you haven't seen it already;
View attachment 401389

Interesting concept, though I'll doubt we'll see it on the Spec-B car.

Oh no we posted it up in the "https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ns-to-win-the-wcc-wdc-read-first-post.321751/" right after it was seen along with the stuff Williams was tinkering with, thanks for posting it up for those others who haven't. It'd be interesting to see how well it works, since it supposedly circumvents the notion of having to do a crash test due to it working off the original crash test structure, thus just an evolution of what already was.

I do have the feeling you're right and that the car wont show up like that, but I rather not dive to deep into this. Either way I think many of us await to see how well this long talked about 2.0 car will do. The engine upgrades from Merc for the next gen clearly helped all Merc Powered cars as Austria showed so what more can it(Force India group) do is the question.

I too, enjoy the new layout immensely. Having visited the circuit twice since its re-design, I can safely that the majority of racing an overtakes, especially into Abbey, have increased significantly.

Now, we're in the middle of a mini-heatwave in Britain, so I highly expect the race to be dry and hot this weekend. I believe this could play against the hands of Pirelli who may have gone for softer rubber in the anticipation of lower track/ambient temperatures.

Alonso hasn't finished a race since Bahrain where he finished 11th, he is currently on a run of four retirements in a row....

I still wish the old layout was there. Went Silverstone a couple of years back for an event, walked the track but decided to walk the old route. Could almost hear the V10s through Bridge...

Back to this year, looks to be a hot, dry weekend and the tyre compounds chosen tend to lead towards the hard behind the better race tyre as I think the mediums may struggle with heating. Rosberg is doing really well and I expect him to give Lewis a run for his money. My prediction: Rosberg on pole. Lewis wins by about three seconds. Massa third, Raikkonen 4th, Vettel 5th. Button retires, Alonso 14th

Latest Posts

Back