Is this the end?

Italy
Italy
Il_Conte_Sky
Hi guys, I've never created a thread here before but I wanted only to share a thought. I hope this thread won't turn in a locked mess.
I remember that 1 year ago there was such a more enthusiastic context. There were many speculation threads, there was much more hype, even if in the end the updates were delusional (and many times they weren't)
Now PD seem to have slowed down with updates, everyone is much more low on expectations, and much less curious on what could be next. Even the legendary hype on Course Maker seems weakened after so much time.
So, that's my question: is this the end? (until GT7 i guess)
Not only on the update side, but also on the users interest side. Many have moved and are still moving on PCARS, and many will move after FM6 and console-AC come out. Have the guys of PD failed to get their space and their consideration in the recent scenario of the mass Sim/cades? And, looking on a more worrying side, will this afflict the consideration of the future releases?
Cheers.

Last edited:
I, to be honest, don't think that this is the end. PD still delivers monthly updates, either bugfixes and stability improvements or new content. Yes, the Course Maker is still yet to come, you can see that they still haven't lost focus on GT6 because they still deliver their schedueled monthly updates (although the July update still has to happen).

Side note: Sony said they are not going to be at Gamescom 2015. I looked at the exhibitioners list on the Gamescom website and guess what I found: Sony (listed as Sony Computer Entertainment Germany). I'm not trying to get everyone pumped up for Gamescom like "HYPE GT7 on Gamescom confirmed!", I just wanted to say it. Maybe we'll see some GT related stuff (CM teaser/trailer), but the chances are pretty low.

On the interest side, well yeah. GT7/PD definitely needs to deliver, or else the interest will go down more (for players who are new the racing gernre and maybe want to try GT, I think most loyal GT players would still get GT7). When you look at Forza 6 or Project Cars, or even Assetto Corsa coming next year; it's basically a 4-way battle of which game is the best console racer. Although almost every game of those four have different aspects. In PCars you start your way as a karting driver and crawl all the way up the racing career ladder, while Assetto Corsa is the pure sim (like GTR2, GTR Evolution) and Forza and GT7 are pretty much the same (conceptwise). I wonder what a racing game for consoles would be if the career from PCars, simulation stuff from AC and cars/tracks/tuning from Forza and GT would be combined into one... anyway, back on topic.

I'm sure PD gets on the right way and turns GT7 into a great game. Since their hiring process has begun, they already brought some new stuff to GT6: AES. They still are hiring, and that for lots of different jobs. I'd say the future of GT is strong.

Is there a schedule? I keep seeing talk on GTP recently of monthly updates but I was pretty sure they just come when they come.

For me there's still life in GT6, though I know a lot of players who have moved on to PS4.
I meant the regular updates. They said they'll release an update every month, so that's what I meant with "schedueled".

I meant the regular updates. They said they'll release an update every month, so that's what I meant with "schedueled".
Ah, ok. I didn't realise that an update every month was something that had actually been said (presumably by PD).

The end?
I guess it depend on what constitutes an 'end'.

It's been stated no more tracks.
Sure there's still VGT's to be added, but other cars?? .. who knows.
Doubtful anything significant in my opinion.

Still have the Course maker of course.
So we still have one more feature incoming.

Not really the end in my books.
Slowing down? ... sure.
But after 18 months since release, it's no real shock.

I still log-in to GT6 daily but usually exit straight away then. I will try the odd Seasonal Event and will always try new VGT cars. After that I have finished with it but PCars and DRIVECLUB are my racing games now.

My PS3 will remain out until I am totally finished with GT6 and that means waiting for the Course Maker.

Hopefully.

The PS3 is old hat these days and can't hope to compete with the newer consoles. Forza has made an average start to the generation but at least they're of the start line as such and I'm sure Forza 6 will be a big improvement. The biggest rival though now has to be Project Cars especially with it's multiplatform availability. They've done such a great job for a first game with a massive track list, loads of racing cars I've loved to drive and most crucially AI that isn't afraid to give you a race.

GT7 needs better AI first and foremost then hopefully it can become the racing game it should be not the outdated time trialer it currently is.

Last edited:
I suppose the end of online play will be whenever the servers close. Probably a long way off.
The end of more content will be whenever there is no more content. Probably also a fair way off, there'll be new seasonals presumably even after all the VGT's have come.
We don't know exactly when those days will come.
As for the game as a whole, some people still play GT1-5 now.

So whether anything constitutes "the end" for an individual is entirely up to them & if they've had enough of playing.

People are still playing, as am I, but at a lesser rate than before, so it's not completely dead yet.

What is completely dead is my hope that any of the promised content back when I put down my $60 for pre-order of GT6, that any of that content is coming anytime soon.

The course maker could be so cool. I could have mapped Grattan Raceway, Belle Isle, Gingerman Raceway, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Waterford Hills Raceway and even the big circle shape of Town Center Drive around the Fairlane Mall here in Dearborn, MI. https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...2!3m1!1s0x883b3508a83e012b:0x31b57a1d43e8bc6e As it stands now, summer will be over and all of these on-track opportunities will have passed until 2016.

Also, I was really looking forward to having that promised seven post rig to tune with. Still waiting.

Not feeling like I got my $60 worth. And, I think PD/Sony missed a big opportunity to sell me new updates. I would have more than willingly handed over more cash for new tracks and new cool race cars. But, no such schedule of promised updates.

:grumpy:

I still play GT6 a bit. I enjoy track days on the 'Ring, and trying to drift in Tsukuba drift lobbies. If you want to keep your interest in GT6, try doing something in the game that you don't often do. Recently, I've gotten into drifting, and while I may suck at it, it keeps me entertained trying to tame a drift car to earn those high scores.
For those who have lost interest in GT6, I can't blame you one bit. Personally I think they jumped the gun with GT6. They may have been sticking to the whole "two-GT-games-per-console-generation" rule, but GT6 could have really benefited from being delayed and being released on the PS4. The game as a whole feels too similar to GT5, and in some areas I prefer GT5, such as the better online servers and the ever-so-hilarious Shuffle Racing.

Hi guys, I've never created a thread here before but I wanted only to share a thought. I hope this thread won't turn in a locked mess.
I remember that 1 year ago there was such a more enthusiastic context. There were many speculation threads, there was much more hype, even if in the end the updates were delusional (and many times they weren't)
Now PD seem to have slowed down with updates, everyone is much more low on expectations, and much less curious on what could be next. Even the legendary hype on Course Maker seems weakened after so much time.
Not only on the update side, but also on the users interest side. Many have moved and are still moving on PCARS, and many will move after FM6 and console-AC come out. Have the guys of PD failed to get their space and their consideration in the recent scenario of the mass Sim/cades? And, looking on a more worrying side, will this afflict the consideration of the future releases?
Cheers.

Is this the end ? Yes for me . GT6 instantly dies the minute you upgrade to current gen . The PS3 graphics look PS2 quality , and if you go and play GT6 after Pcars it feels as arcade like as Ridge Racer . Just goes to show how time has progressed and PD have stood still , or crawled at a snails pace of development .

There will be GT7 absolutely . Will it be incredible ? Hmm , maybe visually , but simcade all the way for Kaz now I feel . He mentioned in a GTP news article from quite a while ago that they analysed the player data on GT5 , coming to their own conclusion that most players are ' Casual ' . So we know what that means , casual players are pick up and play , they don't demand a real simulation .

And so voila , GT6 was the easiest and shortest GT you could ever play . So in the future expect more of the same . PDs inability to complete projects on time ( If at all if you look at the miserable vapourware course maker empty promise , the one track per month DLC promise etc... ) , complete utter disregard for their own fanbase is an abysmal fail in todays 21st century , worldwide informationally connected society .

So in short , don't hold out for GT6 to get completed , or even GT7 to arrive . Because why should we just sit in the dark anymore ? PD can enjoy its newfound casual niche market that will silently just sit and wait for them to actually finish what they started .

The rest of us deserve more , and there are much better games than GT around right now . My thoughts .

Not feeling like I got my $60 worth
I'm in a position where if I accidentally smashed my disc, I'd be straight into the store tomorrow to collect a new one. I'm just still happy playing the game & financial factors don't come into it. They probably would if payment was forced. If we had to pay for updates or continued use of the servers, then I'd probably be uninterested in bothering with the game at all.

The latest community spotlight has a good piece.
Terronium-12
The simple fact of the matter is nothing really happened to Gran Turismo 6. There are some details that won’t be discussed here as it is neither the time nor the place; details that have affected the way Gran Turismo 6 played out its lifetime as such, but you can rest assured that its lifetime hasn’t come to an end just yet. What that means exactly is something you’ll have to discover for yourselves when the time comes because you’ll never get a word out of me.

GT6 isn't dead yet. I'm glad everyone has calm down about the course maker. This was mainly because earlier this month there was way too many people getting overhyped over the Course Maker that due to this threads were getting locked. It was like everyone getting turned into Zombies and were spreading the virus.

I personally don't think its the end. I have one console and only one game that is played. My GT6 disc has not left my ps3 since I first put it in there. The game it self along with this forum of enthusiasts is more then enough to keep me locked onto the GT franchise.

I bought my ps3, dfgt wheel with gt5 not long after it came out but could not get into the game due to the track load times driving me insane. I heard that they'd addressed this in gt6 and added Bathurst and I haven't looked back.

There's plenty to do in the game and the updates and content flow in at a good rate (and at a good cost).

Unless your the fastest sim racer on the planet, you own every car available, you've 100% completed the game, and you finish first at every available seasonal and quick match, there's still stuff for you to do before the next release.

The latest community spotlight has a good piece.

The mod team know the reasons for course makers lack of appearance , but are equally terrified that Kaz will stop giving them access and interviews that stuff like that is all they are willing to say . Non disclosure agreements etc will be brought up if discussed .

Better off just parroting Kaz's " Soon " if you ask me . The reason will be something to do with the team being split to work on the rumoured GT Sport / GT7 , or fukushima , or Kaz lost his pencils or something ... Nobody ( Just a handful of people at best ) really cares anymore .

Unless your the fastest sim racer on the planet, you own every car available, you've 100% completed the game, and you finish first at every available seasonal and quick match, there's still stuff for you to do before the next release.
I would argue that even if you are in that situation, you've got there through being interested in playing the game & getting to that level & that you've still got exciting times ahead of you if you're going to try & continue to maintain your position.

Edit:
TJC_69
The mod team know the reasons for course makers lack of appearance
I had gathered that at least 2 people on GTP were in that loop, now we see that the loop could be larger. I'm not too bothered. I'd love the Course Maker to arrive. It will when it does.

Last edited:
Cheers.
Yep, the development of GT6 is over. GT7 should start get some news in and the hype will be up again. GT5 was like this when I signed up though. GTP ES will hold my interest until the end of the year. @AJ did a great job with the series. It's the best series ever.

OP remembers some enthusiastic threads, thinks there hasn't been
an update for at least two weeks, decides to write an orbituary.

Anyway, what's the difference between the end and a new beginning?

Take me to the distant past, I want to go back.

I have been mostly playing GT6 recently, as I have been filling out a save for my Church Youth Club. The recent good money, easy Seasonals have helped in that respect. Also I've enjoyed trying some cars out on Sierra, as it is wider than the 'Ring.

What I'm most worried about is the course maker being released too late. We'll mess with it for a couple months to a year, then the server shut down whenever they do and we can no longer share our tracks. When that happens, GT6 will be dead.

Those that are saying no it's not over are mainly backing it up with 2 reasons: course maker and VGTs.

The course maker and the GPS map features should have come a long time ago imo. If PD would have mentioned which features would be available at launch and which would be available "soon" I'm pretty sure a lot of people would have waited until "soon" was actually in game.

As far as VGTs go it's a hot topic for a few weeks after that it becomes stockyard material. Very few VGTs become memorable after the next one is released.

I wouldn't say GT6 is quite dead yet as a decent number of people (including myself) still play it considering it's an old console. But it's the very least hanging on life support until GT7 arrives.

Latest Posts

Back