Ars Technica Hands-On Experience with GT Sport VR Is a Mixed Bag

So it will be a while before we are shown any VR game play clips. That was not exactly a glowing review.
So PD will go into secret mode with VR. And of course those who lay down the cash for the PS4 Pro will have the best of VR and possibly other game play/video features. PERFECT!

Well, the german Gamesaktuell magazine also wrote down some impressions. They were not happy about the VR graphics. It seems it was a shocking experience for them playing the game in 4K HDR and seeing the blurry VR picture later. VR could have been breathtaking in GT sport but obviously neither PS4 nor Pro offer the power needed for a satisfying VR experience. It looks like this will only be a small teaser portion of the game, like a demo. At least we will be able to experience the game in 4K and HDR, which could be far more satisfying. Its an incredible expensive treat, tough.

At least we will be able to experience the game in 4K and HDR, which could be far more satisfying. Its an incredible expensive treat, tough.
As somebody with both a PC and a PS4, I think I'd much rather go for a PC VR headset to play Assetto Corsa and iRacing than play Gran Turismo Sport, which is looking like the most disappointing entry in the franchise ever, in 4k/HDR.

I'm also not as blown away by GT Sport's graphics as some others are, when looking at actual gameplay. And it wont be actual 4k rendering on a Pro.

I think GT Sport's lack of full VR support is going to be massive blow to PSVR going forward. *Dreams* is the next potential system seller, yet we've heard nothing about it in so long, so I'm highly questioning whether that's going to be a reality for PSVR or not, too.

Problem is Sony messed up this generation with the PS4 Pro. PS4 normal is clearly not enough for VR nor for 4K, so what they did? A PS4 Pro that will feature a limited use of VR in GT Sport. That "limited use" is pointless doing more harm than good. If their target is VR mass production they better build a PS5 that allow full VR experience in GT Sport. What they actally did instead is an half... feature that makes no one really happy.

Problem is Sony messed up this generation with the PS4 Pro. PS4 normal is clearly not enough for VR nor for 4K, so what they did? A PS4 Pro that will feature a limited use of VR in GT Sport. That "limited use" is pointless doing more harm than good. If their target is VR mass production they better build a PS5 that allow full VR experience in GT Sport. What they actally did instead is an half... feature that makes no one really happy.
I think the mistake is insisting parity between PS4 and PS4 Pro in terms of features.

PS4 Pro might well be capable of running all of GT Sport in PSVR, yet PD aren't allowed to have that as an option cuz it would leave out base PS4 users. I get that thinking, but it really just limits what you can do.

As somebody with both a PC and a PS4, I think I'd much rather go for a PC VR headset to play Assetto Corsa and iRacing than play Gran Turismo Sport, which is looking like the most disappointing entry in the franchise ever, in 4k/HDR.

I'm also not as blown away by GT Sport's graphics as some others are, when looking at actual gameplay. And it wont be actual 4k rendering on a Pro.

I think GT Sport's lack of full VR support is going to be massive blow to PSVR going forward. *Dreams* is the next potential system seller, yet we've heard nothing about it in so long, so I'm highly questioning whether that's going to be a reality for PSVR or not, too.
PSVR is trying to do something, and it's not doing it very well compared to what PC currently has to offer. Console hardware isn't powerful enough. HTC Vive on the other hand hooked up to a 980ti, is just out of this world.

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Michael Leary (@Terronium-12) on December 8th, 2016 in the Gran Turismo Sport category.
What the article says: Mixed Bag but can be improved
What GTPlanet interprets: Absolute failure 0/10 IGN cancel this game I want lit fireworks in my intake manifold to blow up the engine or it isn't realistic /s

Last edited:
It's running on weak hardware, that are they expecting? Don't get these reviews at all.

TBH gfx already at this stage looks quite a big margin better and the game is literally 1year away from release. It will run at 1800P on PS4P and super-sampled on 1080P TV on PS4P. So I definitely see an advantage there.

I think the mistake is insisting parity between PS4 and PS4 Pro in terms of features.

PS4 Pro might well be capable of running all of GT Sport in PSVR, yet PD aren't allowed to have that as an option cuz it would leave out base PS4 users. I get that thinking, but it really just limits what you can do.
It's kind of stupid really what they did. If they are scared to leave normal PS4 users behind then what's the point of a PS4 Pro and PSVR in the first place?
Only a demo mass producted tech showcase? Sounds like an epic fail to me. You either give full features or you don't even talk about that.

What GTPlanet interprets: Absolute failure 0/10 IGN cancel this game I want lit fireworks in my intake manifold to blow up the engine or it isn't realistic
What the **** are you talking about.

Either way, mixed bad sounds better than the review, "I didn't get sick!"

What GTPlanet interprets: Absolute failure 0/10 IGN cancel this game I want lit fireworks in my intake manifold to blow up the engine or it isn't realistic
I think we are more discussing about hardware limitations, for once. It's not Poliphony fault if Sony don't really know what they are doing.

I think we are more discussing about hardware limitations, for once. It's not Poliphony fault if Sony don't really know what they are doing.
What the **** are you talking about.

Either way, mixed bad sounds better than the review, "I didn't get sick!"
Sorry, forgot to add an "/s" at the end to make the point clear.

As a delighted VR user on PC with Assetto Corsa, I find it sad that all that a lot of simmer will remember is that VR is not ready when in fact it is only the PS4/PS4pro who are not ready for VR.

AC on PC with VR is a blast and to many it is so good than driving looking at a 2d flat screen does not cut it anymore. VR for SIM racing is a game changer.

No VR, bad VR is even worst, and a limited choice of peripheral (wheel) is a clear sign, if you are interested in SIM driving, get away from console and get a PC.
Gran Turismo is so 2007! Time to move on.

As a delighted VR user on PC with Assetto Corsa, I find it sad that all that a lot of simmer will remember is that VR is not ready when in fact it is only the PS4/PS4pro who are not ready for VR.

That's pretty much what Gamermuscle was saying:

That's pretty much what Gamermuscle was saying:

The tech is still new and the the same as with any tech, it needs a couple of generations to really start humming along. Anyone that buys in early shouldn't be expecting a 5 star experience and if they do, they are bound to be disappointed. Pretty much goes for any new tech really. I have expected all along that GTS's Standard PS4 VR experience would leave a lot to be desired and nothing I've heard so far has changed that.

The tech is still new and the the same as with any tech, it needs a couple of generations to really start humming along. Anyone that buys in early shouldn't be expecting a 5 star experience and if they do, they are bound to be disappointed. Pretty much goes for any new tech really. I have expected all along that GTS's Standard PS4 VR experience would leave a lot to be desired and nothing I've heard so far has changed that.
True but if you commercialize it for those millions of PS4 users out there and then they find out it's crap, you might run the risk that it will kill off the whole VR trend.

It's still some years away before it truly takes of indeed, so let's see if the updated VR goggles on the 'PS4 Super Pro' can truly excite the masses.

Then delete your user and move on. Seriously though, why are you even in the GTS forums when you're saying this? If you don't care and have moved on, why are you still here?
Can't speak for him, but I would suspect that this also applies to him, I'm wanting PD to come up with something to bring me back into the fold. Cote was a huge GT5 fan and we had many, many races together (DeadNutsEven), and I suspect, like me, he'll go wherever the best, most immersive experience is for him. Give him AC physics, sound, AI and flexibility, and GT visuals, and he'd come back in a hearbeat. I know I would, even though it would cost me upwards of $1200 to do so.

I think Sony took the right approach for the long term success of their VR program, get as many VRs into as many homes as possible with a low cost VR to give them a taste of something greater down the line and more willing to splash out for the likely more expensive hardware.

Then delete your user and move on. Seriously though, why are you even in the GTS forums when you're saying this? If you don't care and have moved on, why are you still here?

delete my user and move on, do you think GT Planet is limited to Gran Turismo, fortunately for many of us, there is much more than GT in GT planet forum, also I was not in the GTS Thread, I am replying to a news that was published this morning for all to see and comment. In addition, seriously though, it is not that I don't care, I do and wished it was still possible to have a satisfying SIM experience in 2016, or more accurately 2017, with a GT title, but the limitation from today's console in relation to the new generation SIM out there makes it a non valid proposition, which was not the case in 2007.
I had a great time with GT1,2,3,4,5 and 6 but as time progressed I believe GT franchise is not keeping up with the other SIM available today to SIM racer enthusiast. As I said, time to move on.
Blame it on GT Planet if the comment on the news are now part of the game thread, and do not worry, you won't see me here often and probably not at all.

Last edited:
Can't speak for him, but I would suspect that this also applies to him, I'm wanting PD to come up with something to bring me back into the fold. Cote was a huge GT5 fan and we had many, many races together (DeadNutsEven), and I suspect, like me, he'll go wherever the best, most immersive experience is for him. Give him AC physics, sound, AI and flexibility, and GT visuals, and he'd come back in a hearbeat. I know I would, even though it would cost me upwards of $1200 to do so.

You can speak for me anytime my friend:sly:, the only thing you would need to add to the list is VR, without VR, I have zero interest in any SIM anymore.

Last edited:

Exactly. There is such a rush to get these features shoehorned in that Sony and Microsoft and everyone else connected to them should just sit back and say 'we are working on making VR a big part of our next console generation, we want the experience to be the best it can and the timing of the current VR software and hardware doesn't fit with our consoles.'

The VR headsets etc are out of reach budget-wise for a lot of people anyway, especially those who like racing games and also are paying for wheels etc

You can speak for me anytime my friend:sly:, the only thing you would need to add to the list is VR, without VR, I have zero interest in any SIM anymore.
Just out of curiosity how many consecutive hours can you play with VR before feeling sick? Usually when I play GT5 & 6 I can play 4 / 5 hours with some little breaks in between.

Just out of curiosity how many consecutive hours can you play with VR before feeling sick? Usually when I play GT5 & 6 I can play 4 / 5 hours with some little breaks in between.
From what i heard it's more dependent on both if you're the type of person that is sensitive to getting nauseous from VR and how good the dev optimizes it. So if you have a person that isn't sensitive to it + good optimization; you won't get sick at all.

I can play and browse on my PC for hours, I never feel sick.

Using my Vive on PC with AC and PCars I can play for just as long as I play on my triple screen setup. The biggest issue I find is a hot head from wearing the headset when the racing gets intense.

Back