2017 F1 Constructor technical info/developmentFormula 1 

United States
Arizona
HamiltonMP427

RULE CHAGES FOR 2017
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...at-can-we-expect-from-next-years-rule-changes
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/10/14/more-rules-changes-for-2017-confirmed/

Engine switches: RBR, STR, and Lotus becoming a factory team.

RBR will still be branded Tag Heuer

STR will return to Renault power, after running a season old PU design Ferrari (2015 season).

Sauber will be using a 2016 Ferrari PU design for 2017

Ferrari will be doing a complete redesign of their PU for 2017 that will be a rework from the ground up.

A key announcement to start off the 2017 season is the exit of Paddy Lowe from Mercedes. Lowe who helped spear head the the past 3 WCC seasons, will now move to Williams F1.

Last edited:
'Complete redesign' sounds like either media bull to get people hyped up about Ferrari's chances, or a multitude of reliability issues waiting to happen.

Good idea for a topic. Just Paddy Lowe moving won't change everything magically. Gotta look at the rest of Williams. Who else is coming to them and who are they losing?

Are the front noses changing as well next year?

They keep talking about the cars being more aggressive and better looking, but I really don't like the front noses on the current cars (except Mercedes whose design is more elegant).

'Complete redesign' sounds like either media bull to get people hyped up about Ferrari's chances, or a multitude of reliability issues waiting to happen.
Sauber thought that there was something to it - the redesign means that the chassis mounting points are completely different to the 2016 engine. That's why they stayed with the 2016 engine; the redesign meant that they would have to go back to the proverbial drawing board for their 2017 car. With the regulation changes putting a greater emphasis on aerodynamic grip, they evidently feel that the aero gains will offset the power deficit in the engine.

It wasn't when they did some innovative stuff in the 2016 PU that differed from the 2014 and 2015. If the team says they're going to change stuff on the tech side it usually is true and not simply media hype. Considering not to many people realize all of what changes when doing a redesign like this. Also considering the rules as I said and the fact it's the highest spending team on the grid...it's not surprising a new engine will come about.
Good idea for a topic. Just Paddy Lowe moving won't change everything magically. Gotta look at the rest of Williams. Who else is coming to them and who are they losing?

We've been doing the tech thread for 3 years now this is the fourth, but glad it's a topic that has caught your interest. As for Lowe, no it's not going to be an instant fix but, the same can be said about Newey on a team as well yet, when either join a team things improve rather fast. No one thinks this will make Williams a WCC contender, but they may become one in a couple years or more and if they can secure a manufacture then the chances are even more likely.

Autosport are reporting that there are serious concerns about winter testing. Because the cars will be faster, drivers will be subject to higher g-forces more frequently and for a sustained time period. Races should be manageable, but the winter tests have drivers run intensive programmes - it's not uncommon for a car to do more mileage during winter testing than it would in every race in a season. Because the drivers will be subject to these higher g-forces during testing, the concern is that it will have a debilitating impact on the drivers' bodies.

And that's why they train so hard to have strong upper body muscles. Look at what Jenson Button does to stay in shape. It's extreme, just like the sport itself.

Yes Perez echoed this as well, and I agree with you not everyone trains like Jenson and not everyone needs
And we've been down this path before - drivers really had to push to come in underweight when the 2014 engine regulations came into effect, and a few of them admitted that they took it too far and were actually feeling pretty unwell at times. I think Button might have been one of those drivers.

I also recall reading somewhere that there can be some pretty serious long-term health problems for triathletes and marathon runners. They might be aiming for peak physical condition, but they push themselves into a place that the human body was never meant to go.

drivers really had to push to come in underweight when the 2014 engine regulations came into effect..

Interesting points, some short term and some long term. Here it might be pointed out that the new rules provide a net weight increase, from 702 kg max weight to 722kg max weight + tyres (est 5kg). This may ease the necessity of normal-sized drivers needing to resort to extreme weight loss measures. Though I expect some the weight increase will be needed for the halo project, and general beefing up to cope with higher g-loads. It's interesting that this 2017 weight formula yields a front line F1 car that for the first time in 65 years exceeds the weight (710 kg) of the dominant 1951 Alfa Romeo 158/159. Next step: exceed the weight of the 1937 750 kg Mercedes and Auto Union! Allow a bigger battery and we're there.

Three Predictions for 2017:
1) Mercedes will retain their primacy in terms of engine power.
2) Red Bull will provide the competition for the manufacturer's championship due to clever aero.
3) Lewis Hamilton will dominate the driver's championship.

I'm just going to point to BMW's downfall from 2008 to 2009.
My money is on the RBR's.

Unless "Tag-Heuer" Renault decides to invest tons of money into a brand new engine like Ferrari...which I highly doubt, then RBR will be mostly aero tricks. Remember Mercedes had equal abilities in aero the past few years and is on par most times or slightly ahead or behind RBR. They make up for it with engines which still seem to be beyond what RBR can deal with. If the cars do allow for close following and less aero wake, it will take more than pure aero to beat Mercedes cars that have just as good of aero with better engines.

Remember RBR's short fall has always been engines when they're not on equal terms, it was an issue they faced in 2009/2010 and it's an issue they've been dealing with since the hybrid era began.

Are the front noses changing as well next year?

They keep talking about the cars being more aggressive and better looking, but I really don't like the front noses on the current cars (except Mercedes whose design is more elegant).

The front wing is being changed on purpose next year it will be delta shape for a more aggressive look that goes back to the early to mid 80s.

a more aggressive look
The irony is that "aggressive" means almost nothing these days. Remember when Williams always hailed their latest car as being part of their "aggressive design philosophy"? They produced cars that, while being contemporary, were fairly subdued and even bordering on conservative (the McLaren moose-horn sidepods is what I would call "aggressive"). It just became a completely meaningless term, like the way all rock music is classified as alt-rock.

Ferrari will launch on February 24:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/12/20/ferrari-sets-launch-date-confirms-third-driver/

I haven't looked at the testing calendar for a while, but it does seem like an awfully late launch.

Little later than usual especially for them, considering they like to be first. Though this is an official date, it doesn't mean they can't send out images before this which seems to be the norm, show the car online then make it official at testing or private launch.

show the car online then make it official at testing or private launch
I can't see Ferrari stooping to a pit lane launch. That would not be particularly Ferrari of them. They have always liked to do a factory launch (and if they didn't, the Italian media might perform an impromptu re-enactment of the storming of the Bastille).

I can't see Ferrari stooping to a pit lane launch. That would not be particularly Ferrari of them. They have always liked to do a factory launch (and if they didn't, the Italian media might perform an impromptu re-enactment of the storming of the Bastille).

Me either, that's why I noted private launches, which still seem to be the everlasting flavor of Ferrari and McLaren.

Me either, that's why I noted private launches, which still seem to be the everlasting flavor of Ferrari and McLaren.
I do like private launches; unveiling a new car should be an event, at least for the big teams. Shutting down the centre of a city and having the Spice Girls at your party is taking things too far, though.

Testing is later this year, first one is Feb 27th to March 2nd, second one is 7th to 10th.
It still seems very late. But then, given the overhaul of the regulations, the FIA might have pushed the tests back to the last possible moment to give teams the opportunity to develop their cars.

Back