2017 F1 Constructor technical info/developmentFormula 1 

According to Autosport, Ferrari's solution to this dilemma is to use less white in their livery. Their reasoning for this is apparently superstition - they used more white than usual in 1993, and had a winless season. They used more white again in 2016, and had another winless season.
There is something seriously wrong with them... :banghead:

According to Autosport, Ferrari's solution to this dilemma is to use less white in their livery. Their reasoning for this is apparently superstition - they used more white than usual in 1993, and had a winless season. They used more white again in 2016, and had another winless season.

Cause of the 🤬 livery.... THE 🤬 LIVERY :banghead:

'Very low degradation' for the 2017 spec Pirelli tyres. Testing has shown that the new tyres will return their optimum operating range following overheating, which should help drivers follow the car ahead in turbulent air. We should also see less races focusing on tyre management.

On an unrelated note, but still on the topic of the 2017 regulations - I've been reading up, looking at diagrams and mock-ups and I'm starting to get real excited about the technical developments for this year. There appears to be quite a bit more freedom in certain areas, the turning vanes seem to be an area where great developments can be made for instance. I'm also excited to see how the teams tackle the direction of airflow from the front wings and whether some creative work can be done to the apparently curvy rear wing endplates. I'm still skeptical as to whether the regulations will promote better racing but it appears as if we've largely come out of the dark ages of technical developments.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

They've supposedly been doing imitation since day 1, they copied the 2014 merc design but thought "we could make this a tighter package than them" and it didn't work. If they saw how long it took for Williams to do the same thing with just the gearbox alone...they'd never would have tried it.

Lowe has left Mercedes according to Sky. Perhaps the first link in the chain to Bottas being announced.

We've been waiting for this to be official since Singapore.
For some time the rumour mill has had Lowe leaving Merc. That was pretty-much confirmed when Ferrari went public about turning him down... and as Pat Symonds left Williams Lowe was rumoured to be replacing him.

Exactly and plus it's been Costa who has designed the championship cars. It'd be interesting if Allison actually does come back to F1 to replace Lowe at Mercedes as has been suggested.

A while ago, I posted a story about Albert Park being updated for the 2017 cars. According to Autosport, those updates are being applied to every circuit on the calendar.

Is the downforce going to spread the cars out even more? Do the narrow front tyres of a following car, help with the washout from a leading car's wider rear tyres?

40km/h faster in high speed corners is hefty. Also, will a rear blowout even allow a car to make it back to the pits? It would be leaning even more than last year's cars. I guess we'll find out in March.

Last edited:
Is the downforce going to spread the dlcars out even more?
Probably. The focus is on aerodynamics because teams have a greater capacity to make meaningful gains, whereas previously the focus on mechanical grip meant that the engine was the deciding factor in a car's performance.

Probably. The focus is on aerodynamics because teams have a greater capacity to make meaningful gains, whereas previously the focus on mechanical grip meant that the engine was the deciding factor in a car's performance.
This is your opinion & mine is very different.
That's nothing personal PM, I would've made the same reply to whoever posted what you wrote.

I thought the focus was on mechanical grip?

That's the reason for the wider tyres, as well as the wider wings; to experience less loss of downforce when behind another car so that overtaking happens elsewhere than on the straights with KERS and DRS.

At least, that's what I thought was the goal...

I thought the focus was on mechanical grip?

That's the reason for the wider tyres, as well as the wider wings; to experience less loss of downforce when behind another car so that overtaking happens elsewhere than on the straights with KERS and DRS.

At least, that's what I thought was the goal...
It's also in part to the question I asked. Does the wider tyre aid in that washout?Making it more difficult to stay close behind.

It's also in part to the question I asked. Does the wider tyre aid in that washout?Making it more difficult to stay close behind.

That has more to do with aerodynamic design. The wider tyres allow for much more grip from them when aero downforce decreases.

I think.

That has more to do with aerodynamic design. The wider tyres allow for much more grip from them when aero downforce decreases.

I think.
I mean cars in tandem. A car following may still have more grip from the wider tyre, but can that driver keep pace without too much aero from the car ahead?

Even with better grip overall, PM answered my first question in which the field might spread out further from hose aero gains.

Apparently so, but there's a much larger offset (according to Pat Symonds, at least) from the new V-shaped front wings - they were specifically proposed to reduce negative wake effects.

That said we won't know until we actually know :D

Back