How to Use Any Steering Wheel with PlayStation 4

I tried this months ago. It was majorly convoluted and a pain in the butt. Once it was set up, you really don't get the full potential of said wheel, ie: ffb, button mapping etc.

So I aborted the idea, and bought a G29 for the PS4. Really, that's the only option. Buy a wheel of you're choice for whatever console you use.

Ok, apologies up front, as this may have been asked a hundred times already, but if I were to buy JUST the G29 wheel - can i still use my G27 pedals and stick shift with it ? The price for the wheel itself, isn't too bad ( for someone with my limited budget ) , but I don't fancy having to fork out for more pedals, stick shifts and pedal upgrades again too. If i can get away with fudging the old stuff onto the new wheel itself, that'd be fab :)

Hey all, I figured I'd coin in as I just made a DIY gimx adapter and bought a PS4 specifically so I could use my g27 with the GTS beta.
I'm not super tech savvy, but I think the way it works is that the device tells your playstation 4 it is getting the signal for a g29 when in fact it is a g27 (or other)
I paid maybe $35 to make the adapter and you literally plug 3 wires together to make it. There are some detailed instructions that make it doable with some research for those that are less tech savvy. It is a bit of a hassle to have to have my computer on to make it work but there is the option of using a raspberry pi which I am not familiar at all with. Since my computer is in my man cave it isn't too big of a deal. It does take some time to button map and is a bit confusing, so far I've only mapped 1 button (look behind). other than that I was able to do everything I need to in the race. I can afford a g29, but I think I'll stick with the g27 and gimx for now.

The GIMX thing-a-mi-jig and/or whatever script/app you have to download and install on your computer.... I saw they said "PC" which is usually associated with Microsoft Windows operating system computers. I also noticed when I was researching before what you have to download and install on your "PC" is a ".exe" file (a Windows based executable file.... which is not compatible with Apple Mac OS computers).

So my question is, is this thing-a-mi-jig/ downloadable thing only for Windows based "PC" users and not compatible with Macintosh computers/users?

I have a PS4 console with a G29 wheel for use so it's not an issue for me really but wanted to find out out of curiosity and own knowledge.

My luck would be having my PSN account banned for
Ok, apologies up front, as this may have been asked a hundred times already, but if I were to buy JUST the G29 wheel - can i still use my G27 pedals and stick shift with it ? The price for the wheel itself, isn't too bad ( for someone with my limited budget ) , but I don't fancy having to fork out for more pedals, stick shifts and pedal upgrades again too. If i can get away with fudging the old stuff onto the new wheel itself, that'd be fab :)

The G27 shifter works with no issues on the G29. Haven't tried the G27 pedal/G29 wheel arrangement, but I'm going out on a limb and say they are compatible with each other.

I opted to just get the G29 rather than go to this effort just to save a wheel. My luck I would get caught using a G27 on the PS4 and get my PSN account banned. That, or it would damage the console, the PC, (or likely) the wheel in some manner.

The G27 shifter works with no issues on the G29. Haven't tried the G27 pedal/G29 wheel arrangement, but I'm going out on a limb and say they are compatible with each other.

I opted to just get the G29 rather than go to this effort just to save a wheel. My luck I would get caught using a G27 on the PS4 and get my PSN account banned. That, or it would damage the console, the PC, (or likely) the wheel in some manner.

OMG they banned you for using hardware ? That's seriously harsh. Why even do that ? Especially if they've not been up front about it. People testing incompatible hardware, with a PS4 system they own, should not be considered punishment enough for a PSN ban :( That's crazy. Thank you for the reply. I have been doing some more digging this evening and it appears that I should be ok with a G29 wheel and my existing G27 set. I hope that your issues were resolved quickly !

I tried this months ago. It was majorly convoluted and a pain in the butt. Once it was set up, you really don't get the full potential of said wheel, ie: ffb, button mapping etc.

So I aborted the idea, and bought a G29 for the PS4. Really, that's the only option. Buy a wheel of you're choice for whatever console you use.
I set mine up with a Fanatec Clubsport on GT Sport and everything works perfectly. FFB, Pedals, Button Mapping. Everything.

Sacrifice a PC to save a wheel.... hmmm okay. ;)
I use my laptop and it only needs to be in place while you are driving. You can even continue to use it for other purposes while the GIMX is running, it does not take up a trememdous amount of memory, or anything along those lines.

The software allows the wheel to emulate a G29. The console believes it is a G29.

So I'm not sure how they would learn what you are doing AND decide to ban your account. Is there something specific in their terms of use that states you are not allowed to use specific hardware with your console?

There are lots of devices other than GIMX that support full FFB on PS4, & most of them don't require you having to use them via a PC/Laptop/Rasberry. This is quite old news.

VBR
This is quite old news.
It's old news that a lot of people (including me) didn't care about until the GT Sport Beta came out.

So in that sense, it's relevant.

And there are options besides GIMX, but for some specific wheel setups, tricky configurations are required and you may need a PC to make everything work anyhow.

OMG they banned you for using hardware ? That's seriously harsh. Why even do that ? Especially if they've not been up front about it. People testing incompatible hardware, with a PS4 system they own, should not be considered punishment enough for a PSN ban :( That's crazy. Thank you for the reply. I have been doing some more digging this evening and it appears that I should be ok with a G29 wheel and my existing G27 set. I hope that your issues were resolved quickly !

Before this snowballs out of control, I was never banned or have any reason to be banned. I have a G29.

The GIMX thing-a-mi-jig and/or whatever script/app you have to download and install on your computer.... I saw they said "PC" which is usually associated with Microsoft Windows operating system computers. I also noticed when I was researching before what you have to download and install on your "PC" is a ".exe" file (a Windows based executable file.... which is not compatible with Apple Mac OS computers).

So my question is, is this thing-a-mi-jig/ downloadable thing only for Windows based "PC" users and not compatible with Macintosh computers/users?

I have a PS4 console with a G29 wheel for use so it's not an issue for me really but wanted to find out out of curiosity and own knowledge.

Anybody could shed some light on my question/s?

VBR
There are lots of devices other than GIMX that support full FFB on PS4, & most of them don't require you having to use them via a PC/Laptop/Rasberry. This is quite old news.
EDK
It's old news that a lot of people (including me) didn't care about until the GT Sport Beta came out.

There's the reasoning. Like it or not, there are a lot of folks out there that have been sitting on old hardware, waiting for the new GT game before determining their plan of attack. With the beta getting a wider release — and the video using an impressive bit of kit — we deemed it appropriate to remind folks of this option. 👍

I have a Fanatec Clubsport, I use the Cronusmax and it works really well so far. I have only used with Asseto though. I haven't received invite for GT Sport.
I bought my club sport setup right before ps4 decided to exclude fanatec. I knew there was some risk because of what had been said but I thought they would work things out. Got a v1 that turned out to be broken. I now have a v2 and will probably pickup the cronus soon, unless I have to hook it up to my comp. This seems like to much Hassel for me with my set up. I will just bite the bullet and get another base if I have too for gts.

You miss read. The poster was worried it might hapen not that it actually happened. It would be a kick to the teeth on top of an already bad situation.

EDK

And there are options besides GIMX, but for some specific wheel setups, tricky configurations are required and you may need a PC to make everything work anyhow.

I would like to sincerely thank EDK, VBR, the other GTP staff for bringing this topic to fruition and continuing to spread the word about GIMX. As EDK indicated, there are still a lot of people that are in the dark and are completely oblivious to the fact their old Logitech wheels still have some life left in them thanks to GIMX.

It should be noted that setting up GIMX can be a complex and involved process at first, but trust me....the effort to get it up and running is MORE than worth it! Yes you need either a Windows machine or a Raspberry Pi. I myself went and picked up a cheap laptop for around $120 just to use as my "controller hub" for GIMX. I get the impression that some people here think that going out their way to incorporate PC into the equation is too "hardcore" or "geeky" or too much of a pain in the butt, which I honestly don't get. If you want something bad enough, go for it! I have absolutely NO problem with the idea of getting an additional Windows notebook *just* to run GIMX. It means that I can finally use ALL of my Windows only hardware, including my Leo Bodnar FFB wheel, HPP PRX Pedals, Fanatec Shifter, and DSD Button Box as one emulated Logitech G27 or G29 wheel. This is a dream come true for me!

Those of you who are even remotely interested in using your old wheels to play GTS, it behooves you to put the time and effort into learning how to install and tweak GIMX. Once you have everything setup, it's just a matter of turning on your windows machine, and activating GIMX. You should also really go and read all the Wiki Tutorials Matlo has put up. They are very informative and answers a lot of the questions being posted here. He also has his own forum and will bend over backwards to help answer any questions within his capability.

The versatility, compatibility and support you get from GIMX is way WAY more than what you'll ever get from ChronusMax.....a company that I despise, but that's a whole 'nother conversation.

A very good Friend of mine, did the Beta testing for the CronusMax Plus. ( $60 us )
Configured in Wheel Mode, Just like others have said, NO PC is Needed.
You Get the FULL FFB, all the Buttons, and it Just Plain works. It's Plug and Play.
Buy it, configure it for Wheel Mode.
Plug it in, and it works.

G25, G27, DFGT, Fanatec wheels are supported.
It makes the PS4, see your Wheel as a G29.

GIMx works too, but there is more that You, have to do to make it all work..
If your all Hands on, and technical, then GIMx will be a piece of cake to you.

If you're not good with technical stuff.
then CronusMax Plus if something to take a look at.
It's as close to Plug and Play as you can get.

A very good Friend of mine, did the Beta testing for the CronusMax Plus. ( $60 us )
You Get the FULL FFB, all the Buttons, and it Just Plain works. It's Plug and Play.

I had problems with my Fanatec Clubsport v3 Inverted Pedals when they were plugged directly into my wheel and emulating a G29. The problem specifically was that the G27 software thought they were on 50% by default. There was not a way to re-calibrate travel.

I had to plug them in direct to PC with USB, map them separately in the GIMX config. And then I also had to make some adjustments in the code, because the PS4 initially read them as fully inverted.

For the Chronus, I am curious if there would be a solve for this problem? Would I be able to adjust configuration on the PC and then plug the pedals in USB direct to the same hub? The Fanatec pedals vary, but I had this issue with both my v3 inverted and my old CSR Elite pedals that I have not yet sold.

I am asking because I wonder just how plug and play some of these other solutions will be for edge cases like mine. I am not saying they won't work, but I am wondering if there's evidence that they will.

I want to add to what I wrote.
GIMx does have an advantage. the CronusMax, only supports a few wheels...
But with GIMx, it Opens up all the Windows based SIM driving Hardware to use on the PS4.

setting up GIMX can be a complex and involved process at first, but trust me....the effort to get it up and running is MORE than worth it!
You need either a Windows machine or a Raspberry Pi. ...
I have absolutely NO problem with the idea of getting an additional Windows notebook *just* to run GIMX. It means that I can finally use ALL of my Windows only hardware, including my Leo Bodnar FFB wheel, HPP PRX Pedals, Fanatec Shifter, and DSD Button Box as one emulated Logitech G27 or G29 wheel. This is a dream come true for me!

So in that regard, it all depends on You as a SIM Driver, what are your Needs?
There are Options available so you can use your Legacy Wheels, or use your Higher end PC only wheels on the PS4.

Back