GT Sport PS4 Pro benefits

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 56 comments
Finland
Finland
HI-tauer
Please do merge this in to an existing thread if there is one.

I would like to hear from people using both systems what are the differences.

Also gather info we already have on ps4 pro gt sport.

What i've been wondering once again playing the beta, is why dont they use antialiasing on ps4 pro 1080p. Same goes with other games. Id be more than happy with 1080p resolution with smoother edges.

Gt sport also has quite rough edges on 1080p.

You mean supersampling? Well, i dont know why it isnt there, but maybe the final build will improve on this. There is no deep coverage or analysis by Digital Foundry so far, they are quite busy of releasing endless Scorpio articles these days.

I have only played the game on PS4Pro on my 4K TV, it looks quite lovely, although i have to say that the image isnt as super sharp as you might expect. In fact, there is a lot of post processing going on in GT Sport, i think that “smoothens“ the image a bit. But at this point, we dont even know what Polyphony does in this beta. I dont think this game runs in native 4K, but it is checkerboarding here, or some other upscaling tech?

I dont think there will be massive changes in the final build. The game already looks very good. Maybe there will be some small improvements but nothing big. It is an beta build after all, not pre-alpha...

Well i do not hope that for Sony. If they release it with this smoke and no skitmarks and some other stuff then i canot wait to see the reviews haha

the beta runs on standard ps4 graphics on the ps4 pro. the beta is the same on ps4 and ps4pro graphics wise

Feels like it has small stutters if boost mode is left activated, without not seen similar crumbling.
I haven't tested it yet but the same could happen in various other games where the boost is not supported. We'll see if the final code supports it, I doubt it though.

I'm running a Pro but only have a 1080p TV so I'm not sure what the differences are.

Was surprised to see no in game options for modes tho.

Well the Beta already benefits from Pro in one way, so it's not completely disabled and the same. Because Pro Replays run at 60fps aswell as the pre race screen. 60fps+motion blur. I dont see any other improvments though. Shadows are the same on both aswell as the bad AA.

I also hope they give us a gameplay 60fps+motion blur mode to enable in the settings. Because it looks fantastic in the pre race screen and very realistic. While gameplay looks good but due to the lack of slight motion blur too gamish in my opinion. Project Cars, Forza and Dirt Rally aswell as other games like Doom and Battlefield, Battlefront... use it also at 60fps. At least give Pro users the option. I guess basic PS4 couldnt handle it at 60fps.

For the ones who like it and don't like it: Option ON/OFF. All Happy! :D

I haven't tested it yet but the same could happen in various other games where the boost is not supported. We'll see if the final code supports it, I doubt it though.
Boost mode should be used on games which aren't supporting PS4PRO, if game has native Pro support then it's not needed, like GTS is supporting.

Beta has no Pro support.

Plz back up this claim by a source. Im playing on Pro with a 4K TV and usually you can see the difference right away. This is such a case and i would be quite puzzled if this was 1080p. No way.

Plz back up this claim by a source. Im playing on Pro with a 4K TV and usually you can see the difference right away. This is such a case and i would be quite puzzled if this was 1080p. No way.
All 4K screens I've seen so far are 1080p upscaled, pretty easy to tell if you open them on a PC browser and zoom to original size. Even the 2D elements (UI, text, even the GT logo) are upscaled.

That, coupled with reports of boost mode improving replay's framerate, makes me believe Pro support is not in. Otherwise boost mode wouldn't work.

That said, I admit haven't seen 4K screenshots since 1.04.
Since you have a Pro with a 4K display, if you could take some screens and upload them on a hosting site that doesn't compress/resize (flickr, abload), I can tell you right away.

It doesn't seem to be downsampling or render at a resolution above 1080p from what I gathered. Some Pro shots appear to have better AA but could be because of a different track/car.

All 4K screens I've seen so far are 1080p upscaled, pretty easy to tell if you open them on a PC browser and zoom to original size. Even the 2D elements (UI, text, even the GT logo) are upscaled.

That, coupled with reports of boost mode improving replay's framerate, makes me believe Pro support is not in. Otherwise boost mode wouldn't work.

That said, I admit haven't seen 4K screenshots since 1.04.
Since you have a Pro with a 4K display, if you could take some screens and upload them on a hosting site that doesn't compress/resize (flickr, abload), I can tell you right away.

Simply judging from screenshots? I think i can trust my eyes on this one. This isn't the first 4K game i'm playing. As far as i know the game renders at 1800p and gets upscaled to 4K. I don't know if they use checkerboarding. Maybe we have to wait until Digital Foundry finally covers the beta. However, i heard some people complaining about jaggies with the standard PS4. I haven't noticed much jaggies on the Pro, it would go as far as to say you won't notice them on a 4K TV at all. And i have been through the jaggie hell in Forza 6 so yeah, i'm sure i would see them.

The most obvious reason the beta does indeed benefit from the Pro and renders at 1800p/4K is the fact that Polyphony and Sony showed the game in 4K and running on Pro on many occasions, already, the VR mode for example has been shown on Pro and GT Sport has been one of the flagship titles for the Pro and it's 4K gaming for a long time. In my view, it is highly unlikely the beta doesn't offer Pro support and after spending so many hours with the game i would pretty much rule that out.

Simply judging from screenshots? I think i can trust my eyes on this one. This isn't the first 4K game i'm playing. As far as i know the game renders at 1800p and gets upscaled to 4K. I don't know if they use checkerboarding. Maybe we have to wait until Digital Foundry finally covers the beta. However, i heard some people complaining about jaggies with the standard PS4. I haven't noticed much jaggies on the Pro, it would go as far as to say you won't notice them on a 4K TV at all. And i have been through the jaggie hell in Forza 6 so yeah, i'm sure i would see them.

The most obvious reason the beta does indeed benefit from the Pro and renders at 1800p/4K is the fact that Polyphony and Sony showed the game in 4K and running on Pro on many occasions, already, the VR mode for example has been shown on Pro and GT Sport has been one of the flagship titles for the Pro and it's 4K gaming for a long time. In my view, it is highly unlikely the beta doesn't offer Pro support and after spending so many hours with the game i would pretty much rule that out.
Not sure if serious. Lol

I'll try replying as best as I can, because you probably don't know much about resolution/checkerboard rendering/how Digital Foundry works.

Going by what PD told us, the final game will render internally at a native 1600x1800p resolution. This will be checkerboard-rendered to 3200x1800p, and then upscaled to a 3840x2160 image with some simple upscaling algorhythm.

Checkerboard rendering it's pretty easy to spot if you know where to look. IF the beta 4K screenshots posted by users so far are true 4K screengrabs taken from a PS4 Pro with a 4K panel, then the beta is rendering at a 1080p resolution upscaled (badly) to 4K.
Example: this 4K screen. If you downscale it to 1080p it'll become pixel-perfect. If you upscale it back to 4K, it'll be almost identical to the original. Upscaling algorhythm might be different (bicubic, trilinear, who knows) but the pixels are roughly the same, meaning the original grab was upscaled from a 1080p buffer.

If you wanna find out how Digital Foundry figures out the resolution of a game, check this video (answer: from screenshots).

Again, since you have a Pro with a 4K panel, please post some screenshots. I'd trust your grabs more than grabs taken from the internet.
As I said, 4K screens of the beta are rare - and who knows, maybe PD added Pro support in 1.04

I've spent enough time on dumb console war threads (:ouch:) to know how to pixel count, so it'll be pretty easy to check.

I have a PS4 Pro with a 4K TV and I can say this. The GT Sport beta looks far better on my 4K TV than it does on my high end 1440p Dell monitor. That tells me the game is running in 4K or some variant of it on my 4K TV, and that it is running at 1080p on my Dell monitor.

Not sure if serious. Lol

Example: this 4K screen.

Look. I'm sure you know a thing or two about 4K, upscaling technology etc.
But you claimed that this beta runs in 1080p and does not support the Pro.
And you should be a bit more careful about that because as far as i can tell, it is wrong.

That screenshot you posted here looks pretty bad. I can assure you that this isn't the way the game looks on my TV. Those jaggies and the poor image quality are a far cry from everything i have seen of this game. I think its just a 1080p screenshot upscaled to 4K by someone. Photoshop is all you need.

Since you don't own a 4K TV or a PS4 Pro yourself (i'm assuming here) and you haven't seen the beta running on such hardware yourself, you should be more careful about claiming that this game does not run in UHD and does not support PS4 Pro at all in this beta.

Ok, here two screenshots of mine.

granturismosport9xsdg.jpg

granturismosportgtajvr.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, here is a screenshot of mine.

granturismosport9xsdg.jpg
Is there supposed to be a difference between this, and what has been posted? It's very similar to the one that you just said looks bad. Or was that the point?

Edit: Actually the small text is nice and clear, but the rest of the image resembles that other photo. I'm wondering if that's just a minor compression issue that might be making a difference, though

the beta runs on standard ps4 graphics on the ps4 pro. the beta is the same on ps4 and ps4pro graphics wise

Beta has no Pro support.

I said it before, but some of you just didnt want to believe, altough the facts were obvious. Now, digital foundry has finally covered the GT Sport beta and confirmed that the Beta runs indeed in 1800p on ps4 pro (checkerboarding)

PS4pro also offers smoother performance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-gran-turismo-sport-ps4-pro-analysis

Last edited:
I said it before, but some of you just didnt want to believe, altough the facts were obvious. Now, digital foundry has finally covered the GT Sport beta and confirmed that the Beta runs indeed in 1800p on ps4 pro (checkerboarding)

PS4pro also offers smoother performance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-gran-turismo-sport-ps4-pro-analysis

No surprise, this is directly in line with my experience running the beta with my PS4 Pro on my 4K TV and Dell 1440p monitor.

I am enormously annoyed at this. So I need to buy new hardware to get the best experience on GT Sport? My 'ordinary' PS4 was bought ONLY in anticipation for GT Sport and has hardly been used in the last one year. I am sooooo annoyed at this. The PS3 models were all indentical in performance and I stupidly thought the PS4 model variants would also always be the same when I bought mine. All this is is Sony being greedy.

I am enormously annoyed at this. So I need to buy new hardware to get the best experience on GT Sport? My 'ordinary' PS4 was bought ONLY in anticipation for GT Sport and has hardly been used in the last one year. I am sooooo annoyed at this. The PS3 models were all indentical in performance and I stupidly thought the PS4 model variants would also always be the same when I bought mine. All this is is Sony being greedy.
Let that be a life lesson for you.

Back