GT6 Framerate depends on which console you have.

• Thread starter xSNAKEx
  • 263 comments
Australia
Sydney
I've had the luxury of comparing 4 consoles with GT6 side by side and was surprised at the differences between the lot. It is clear some ps3s are MUCH more capable than others in terms of processing power. I suspect this occurs in all games but is more evident when a game maxes out the hardware like GT6,

All testing was done in 1080p on the same TV. PS3 and game settings were mucked around with but kept the same for comparison purposes for an overall result.

Fat 40GB CECHG04. 90nm GPU, 65nm CPU

Very bad FPS. Stuttering in 3d rendering of cars in garage, gallery and dealerships and the animation when you purchase cars.

Really bad game play FPS unless in bumper cam. A high amount of tearing. On screen smoke and chase view really bog this down, so does distant scenery and lots going on screen. A fair amount of microfreezes in game and coming out of driving options

Slim 120GB CECH 2001a model 45nm CPU 65nm GPU

Very poor performer. Lots of tearing and bad fps. This console is very weak for its time. A big surprise. Almost unplayable unless you turn off HDMI deep color and dynamic range and set gt6 to sharpen image. Lots of microfreezes. For example going off course in a licence test would freeze the car still whilst the grass and smoke effects continued going forward for a few seconds before the continue or retry would pop up.

3002b PS3 Slim 320GB. 40nm GPU and 45nm CPU. (the ones that no longer have disc or wifi lights)

The absolute BEST of of any ps3 version I have seen. No tearing whatsoever and almost no frame rate drops. The only time it ever dropped fps even the slightest is chase cam with lots of debris. etc in was evident moon missions. No framerate loss in cockpit view. Not a single stutter in Gallery mode or the buy car animations etc. No mircofreezes. This consoles performance was consistently smooth as silk.

PS3 Super Slim CECH-4002a. 45nm CPU and 40nm GPU

Almost as good as the 3xxx series PS3 Slims but not quite. FPS is generally good but drops are evident when dust is kicked up, and on some tracks a fair amount of consistent tearing was present. No mircrofreezes.

So to all those complaining about bad frame rates when gt6 came out, you can post here what ps3 version and model you have and your ps3 display settings.

Important note
I can confirm setting GT6 to SHARPEN IMAGE in the video options greatly increases FPS on problem systems. In addition, "XMB" Display Settings, HDMI deep colour and dynamic range to "off" or "limited" eases the rendering burden as well.

EDIT:I have confirmed dthe 3xxx series ps3 slim is in fact a 3002B console. I also completely forgot to mention the microfreezes.

Last edited:
Hmm, I have a slim 160GB and I have noticed tearing, but framerate USUALLY stays acceptable. I do notice before races on some tracks when leading into the race (cars warming up, I call it), coming around some of the corners on certain tracks presents pretty big frame loss. All cars shown at once, with depth of field and track detail = low fps.

I have a 120 slim and can confirm those frame rate issues. Not unplayable but at times stays within 30 FPS. I'll try sharpen mode and report back results later.

This analysis could also explain the freezing issues primarily affecting fat consoles from what I've read.

I have a launch day PS3.
Fat 60GB.

Occasional drop but not that bad.

Interesting. I hear GT6 relies on CPU performance more so than most other games so this is one possible explanation.

An interesting note. You can also observe how much of the CPU is utilized at any given time on a ps3 by pressing the PS button. If the XMB is laggy you can bet CPU utilisation is near maximum. If its smooth as silk it still has processing room. I noticed the XMB lagged the most on the 120GB slim in game.

Anyway, its hard to make a definite judgement call based on other people as perceptions as this varies between people. Are you normally able to differentiate between fps for example something easy like 60fps and 100fps on a 100hz display?

Last edited:
Verion of the PS3 doesn't matter. It's just settings, HDD and how much it's "stuffed" matters ( some other random circumstances).

I have a 160gb slim (bought around 18 months ago). The twisty section at Bathurst always causes problems for me, I don't think I've ever drove through there without massive FPS drop. I use chase cam so that probably makes it worse

A 120 slim i mean, bought in 2010 with gt5. Can't check the exact model at the moment.

I probably have the setting like you recommend though.

Gona try out those tips but as a user with a fat 40gb ps3 the only frame rate issues I get are in the replays when there is like 16 cars on screen at a time.

Verion of the PS3 doesn't matter. It's just settings, HDD and how much it's "stuffed" matters ( some other random circumstances).

The version matters. That was the point of this thread. Just reporting what I have observed. Its is very obvious when you buy a car 2 minutes into the game and one console heavily chugs and tears the 3d rendering animation and another does not in the same circumstances. I specifically stated I used the same settings when testing.

Lastly, the hdd and how much its "stuffed" has almost nothing to do with the frame-rates and if you know anything about computers and rendering you would know this. I have formatted the slim 120gb and it has made no difference to the FPS anyway.

For the record I have a half full 500gb hdd in my 40gb fatty

What model ps3? cech what?

There have been significant changes even between all fats and between all slims and sometimes between same HDD sizes. There are also regional differences.

I have a 320GB 25xxB version I think (bundle with GT5). I don't have the game yet.
Do you think it has the 45nm GPU and CPU like the 3xxx ?

What model ps3? cech what?

There have been significant changes even between all fats and between all slims and sometimes between same HDD sizes. There are also regional differences.
I've no idea and I'm not able to check at the moment, if it's any use to you it was part of the GTA4 launch bundle from the UK

I have a slim, not sure which model. I was thinking it is a 160gb model. I bought it just before the release of GT5.

I have noticed only a few frame rate issues thus far and only on 2 tracks, Willow was a little jumpy in one race and Lemans 2013 at night in the rain was a bit jumpy.

Edit: Just looked and the Serial shows 2001a so according to the OP it is almost unplayable without fiddling with the settings, yet I am running 1080P and have only saw any issues in 2 races thus far and they were minor aside from a different issue related to BGM which will cause the game to freeze for about 1/2 a second which I have now corrected.

To say the game is almost unplayable on this console is quite far from the truth

Perhaps the PS3 tested by the Op has some issues that are not present in others

Last edited:
Aside all that testing, it has to be said GT6 makes the PS3 struggle quite a bit. For that reason temperatures are of the essence.

I use a 3rd gen PS3 CEHCHP01 65nm 160GB PS3 and the only problems I encounter are the once in a while slow loading of textures at the pre race set up screen, it's only for a second or so. No tearing whatsoever during game play and I have RGB set to full. I have noticed slowdown in the weirdest of places, like in the GT auto section after doing anything and it gets done the camera revolves around the car the frame rate stutters for no apparent reason but it's nearly rock solid in game. That makes no sense to me either but I have witnessed this.
My PS3 sits on a desk on it's edge so that the heat rises up and out through the vented end and the lower intake vents are on the front lower end near the two USB ports and is on a desk about 3 feet off the floor and near a window which is about 6 feet away with the top always open to bring in fresh air. This PS3 took over after I foolishly abused my launch PS3 in about two years completely cooking the motherboard one hot summer day for about 14 hours, needless to say it didn't start up ever again. I am thinking I will swap out the 160GB drive soon with the 500GB since I am signing up for PSN Plus shortly and will need a place for all those discounted games :sly:.

Note original SixAxis controllers do not work well with gen 3 PS3, they lose sync out of the blue during game play as I found out. First time since I had a PS3 I have two brand new controllers so now I am going to enjoy tighter controls around the board along with my PS Plus. Great time to own a PS3 I say, so much good stuff there you can't complain.

I have CECH250x model that came with 160GB HDD, replaced with 500GB. Runs GT6 with RGB Full range enabled, audio DTS 5.1, in game display normal. Pretty smooth even in arcade race - rain, 100% weather - 100% water and 10 cars at bathurst - mostly using cockpit or hood cam. The AMG Vision GT gallery view is smooth as silk :D

I'm quite surprised to see that some people still own a workable fat PS3. Mine died around 3 times before i decided to switch to a 160gb slim, my favorite PS3 by far! My old fat PS3 sounded like a fighter jet taking off in my room. :scared: I do miss the touch sensitive buttons tough!

I would hazard a guess that individual consoles, rather than models are causing variable performance. In other words a brand new 60gig launch PS3 would run the game as well as any other machine. You were unscientific with regards to the operating environment, age and condition of the hardware ect.

Poor coding trips up different platform models, and with adaptive tessellation and other stuff running on the Cell I cannot imagine poor coding being a factor?

I have a Fat 40 CECHH, the next model after the first one listed. It's got an almost new 250GB HD (some people have said their Fats don't do as well with HD's over 250GB). I live where it's cool and I don't think it's ever been over heated. I use 1080p on a 110" front projector. I am quite happy with it's performance. It's not perfect. I drop a frame at times, but otherwise I think it's pretty good.

I found clearing the cache on a regular basis speeds up the menu considerably.

Back