2017 Formula 1 Gran Premio de Espana PirelliFormula 1 

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
Mercedes took the win in Russia and beat Ferrari fair and square after Bottas' brilliant start to jump Vettel and Raikkonen, however the race was pretty much said and done after the safety car returned to the pits. The biggest highlight after that was Kimi being confused on team radio. Anyways now we return to what they consider the non fly away races. Barcelona is the race where the teams bring their first round of upgrades so naturally the paddock talk is of the upgrades. Can Red Bull catch up to Mercedes and Ferrari? Can Mercedes bring upgrades that will put them firmly ahead of Ferrari? What do Ferrari have up their sleeve? What about the teams further down the field? No doubt Bottas' win and Hamilton's struggles will also be a talking point. Answers will be given at the Spanish Grand Prix.

ViwBEwW.jpg

CIRCUIT DE BARCELONA-CATALUNYA

FIRST RACE

NUMBER
OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
4.655KM (2.892 Miles)

RACE DISTANCE
307.104KM (190.825 Miles)

LAP
RECORD

1:21.670, Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 2008

TYRE ALLOCATIONS
Soft, Medium & Hard

SKY SPORTS CLASSIC RACE SCHEDULE
Tuesday - Missed (Oops)
Wednesday - Spain 1996
Thursday - Spain 1986
Sunday - None

2016 RESULT

1 Max Verstappen (Red Bull-TAG Heuer)

2 Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)

3 Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

2016 Fastest lap - Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso-Ferrari) 1:26.948 (lap 53)​

1489185985982.jpg

Keep in mind that temp will be higher and that they had tyres that were softer than the ultra soft.

Last edited:
I only live an hour or so away from the circuit and it's incredibly tempting to attend on the Sunday. However, €200 for a ticket is far too steep in my mind, so I'll watch it on the TV.

Regardless, it should be an exciting race if the Ferraris can continue their pace with the Mercedes. I'd tip Red Bull to do OK here given their form last year.

Tom
I only live an hour or so away from the circuit and it's incredibly tempting to attend on the Sunday. However, €200 for a ticket is far too steep in my mind, so I'll watch it on the TV.

Regardless, it should be an exciting race if the Ferraris can continue their pace with the Mercedes. I'd tip Red Bull to do OK here given their form last year.

Except both Mercedes were out last year so it automatically created some space.

I can't see them coming higher than 3rd and that's if they are perfect and Ferrari and Mercedes are not.

But then again it's Barcelona, it's a special track (Max first win, Maldonado first win) and all team will have major upgrade that can change the car quite a bit. We'll see who will win the most. It's gonna be hard for RBR to catch up 1 seconds on aero only tho.

Except both Mercedes were out last year so it automatically created some space.

I can't see them coming higher than 3rd and that's if they are perfect and Ferrari and Mercedes are not.

But then again it's Barcelona, it's a special track (Max first win, Maldonado first win) and all team will have major upgrade that can change the car quite a bit. We'll see who will win the most. It's gonna be hard for RBR to catch up 1 seconds on aero only tho.

It's something of an unpredictable circuit which will make it very exciting.

Also a note to the OP. The letter 'n' on Espana should be changed to an 'ñ', as it is a letter in the Spanish alphabet.

Tom
Also a note to the OP. The letter 'n' on Espana should be changed to an 'ñ', as it is a letter in the Spanish alphabet.

Managed to change it now you've written it.

My keyboard doesn't have that option.

It will be really interesting to see how the upgrade packages shake the field up.

Of course, the top three teams will most likely remain unchanged.

Memory lane: last year GP Spain when our Max took his first victory. Will he do it again??
Sunday afternoon in Barcelona a mix of sun and rain. Very interesting.

Hopefully the Bull can control his tail attached.

This race just screams 'race over by turn 1'. Not looking forward to it except for where the upgrades will put everyone, if it even makes much difference.

Will the Honda be any faster or will it just finish this time?

He'll need a full wet race to win. That Red Bull is just no match for the other two in the dry.

Unless the upgrade package includes rocket boosters.

Basically this part of the year is the, "when is Canada again?" Spain is good for checking upgrades but don't hold your breath for a good race.

Monaco is the same but the completely different aero requirements tend to mix up the grid a bit.

@LMSCorvetteGT2 I'm still hoping it is true. Hope Ferrari have something big as well (they probably will). Gonna bet that the midfield will be significantly off the pace even more here.

Will the upgrades be as drastic though? the big teams with the big bucks have a better chance of improving.

I don't know the size of them and we probably wont until Friday practice sessions. I just know who is suppose to be bringing updates in the next few gp. Since Spain marks that the "official" start of the development wars. Some teams like Sauber brought updates in Russia though.

God damn it.

This will be a telling weekend for Alonso and McLaren's future. If he is embarrassed in front of his home crowd by an unreliable McLaren-Honda, I wouldn't be surprised if he walks out midseason. Likely after the Indy 500.

Back