101st Indianapolis 500- 28 May 2017Open Wheel 

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 542 comments
United States
Louisville, KY
ukfan758
indy-500-101-running-logo.jpg

636275324774051951-15-indy500start-mk.jpg

This is the 101st running of the greatest spectacle in racing. The oldest race of the triple crown has seen famous drivers such as A.J Foyt, Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Mario Andretti, Al and Bobby Unser, Emerson Fittipaldi, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Jacques Villeneuve take the checkered flag in first position. Only the late Graham Hill has completed the triple crown and Juan Pablo Montoya is the only active driver to have won two of the races. It is the third race of what some call the biggest day in racing, with the 24 Hours Nürburgring starting Saturday and finishing up on Sunday morning, Formula One's Monaco Grand Prix starting second, and Nascar's Coca-Cola 600 concluding the day's races.

Last year's race celebrated the 100th running. The race had a clean start, relatively few accidents, and rookie Alexander Rossi coasting to the line to take the victory on an incredible fuel strategy. The race was also second in the amount of overtakes for the lead (54, first being the 97th running with 68), keeping the fans on their feet for the majority of the race. Over 350,000 people attended the race, a sold-out crowd for the first time in decades.

This year's running will have a famous face in the field, Formula One driver, Fernando Alonso. There is already great interest in the American motorsport community as well as worldwide regarding his participation in this year's race. The race is not until later this month, but preparation has already begun. The second weekend of May saw Indycar race on the modified former Formula One road course for the Grand Prix of Indianapolis and Will Power finishing first. The track has now returned to the oval configuration and the first practice session is now complete. Pre-race coverage starts at 11am EST on ABC. The road to the checkered flag begins now.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.47.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.47.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.47.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.47.59 PM.png

Last edited:
Session Videos:

Qualifying Day 1 is on Watch ESPN and ABC

Qualifying Day 2 is on Watch ESPN and ABC

Last edited:
Top 5 Session Results:

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 11.21.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 9.15.01 PM.png

Alonso: 19th

IMG_8436.jpg
Alonso: 24th

IMG_8439.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

IMG_8456.jpg

IMG_8457.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 11.17.41 PM.png

IMG_8461.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 6.44.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 6.46.39 PM.png

Full results can be found at www.indycar.com/stats

Last edited:
Great job, thanks. Regardless of Alonso's presence, the Indy 500 is a very special race and surely deserves it's own thread and discussion. Still trying to find a (legal) way to watch it live. Knowing the full schedule helps 👍

Nice to see the rest of the Andretti guys helping get Alonso used to running in dirty air.

Indeed. That's sportsmanship at play.

Meanwhile, Alonso did a whooping 72 laps today. He is working hard, as he should.

Don't even bother looking at the live comments for the livestream. It's just pure toxicity.

Agreed however somebody shouted "GP2 BACKSTRETCH!" which made me blurt out.

Edit: now their all discussing Keke Rosbergs mustache.

That particular comment section was below moronic. The vermin posting there were just insulting each other and the whole world of motorsports fans. Took me a grand total of 30 secs to close it. And that means I'm slow ...

Exciting stuff now. Alonso just made a 3-wide pass overtaking his team mate M. Andretti, himself overtaking Sato. And into turn 1 they went

(I know I know, it's practise and all overtakes are "consented". Still, fun to watch) ;)

Sounds like today might be a busy day because the broadcasters said most of the teams feel like they won't get much practice tomorrow out of fear that they'll be rained out.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/fernando-alonso-indy-500-mclaren-honda-andretti/

Like my first go-kart, this car wasn’t built for me. I’m not the intended driver, but I’m going to do everything I can to make the people who built it proud. And maybe this will be the start of a new journey for me as well.

And I want to make something clear. I’m not coming for a “week off” or to just have fun — I am a racer, I am coming to race. Above all, I hope this is an experience I can take with me for the rest of my life. I hope the feelings I feel, and the things I see stay in my mind forever.

And I hope that at the end of those 500 miles, I’ve learned something that I never knew before.

A great read, thanks. One gets the idea he is ready to jump ship. Even calls himself a "veteran driver" ...

Considering he's been racing in f1 for almost two decades, not calling him a veteran would be strange. Him and kimi are the last of the v10 era drivers still in f1.

I doubt it he's ready to leave f1 just yet. He seems to feel there's still unfinished business to attend to.

Back