101st Indianapolis 500- 28 May 2017Open Wheel 

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 542 comments
not much time to make decisions at that speed in qualifying....
but more interesting(while still crossing my fingers for Seb)did they take too much rear downforce off ??...rear end looked a bit loose from lap 1 !!

Spy.
He was on the way to totally demolishing the fastest time of the day. So yeah, it was trimmed - A LOT!

He was on the way to totally demolishing the fastest time of the day. So yeah, it was trimmed - A LOT!

Thought the same. He was way up on the current fastest average - turns out it came at pretty steep price. Hope he's OK, that was pretty much head on into the wall. The nose didn't look too damaged, so probably the majority of the energy got deflected to the side.

Yeah probably....but to do that on 1st quali day...hmmmm...dont want to say anything bad about Seb right now ofcourse,but its not the first time he's had big offs when he didnt really needed to....if you know what i meen...

Not saying he is a bad driver or anything....but in his career,many times when he whas "on top of it" something goos very wrong.....

Anyway,lets cross fingers he is ok and be able to continue!!

Spy.

Still under red flag, coverage moving to ESPNEWS...a channel my parents don't have anymore. Hopefully they can go back on track soon enough, and hopefully Seb isn't seriously injured.

Can someone explain Savedra's car and why the right side rear wing is missing?
If you'd been paying attention (I mean that lightheartedly :P ), you'd see it's a thing done at most low downforce ovals. Handling thing. Helps a car through the corner.

Unless you mean a piece from the actual wing was missing and I missed that. :lol:

If you'd been paying attention (I mean that lightheartedly :P ), you'd see it's a thing done at most low downforce ovals. Handling thing.

I mean I haven't had much reason to pay attention to the Chevy race cars. As for the actual Indy 500 build up this is the first time I've seen them do this, in all the practice I've watched this past week I didn't see this set up. Nor fast Friday. And I haven't watched any ovals this year only road course/street courses. This is the only "oval" I plan to watch this year from the Indy series.

EDIT: The set up on Servia's car is what we've seen all week hence why I asked.

I'm just stunned by Alonso's run. His first time ever doing an Indycar race, at the 500 no less, and he's in the Fast 9 for tomorrow.

He could have a real chance at the pole tomorrow despite my initial scepticism.
He's got great skills and a great car, with a great team. He's got a really good chance of doing well in the Fast 9 and the 500.

Just saw the accident, absolutely horrifying. You could tell Bestwick was horrified and that both Cheever and Goodyear were in shock.

Thank goodness for the safer barriers, DW12 and the later improvements made to it, the safety crew, and the HANS device. Without these, Seb would have died.

Dont blame me for this.

DANIhD1UIAA7JcJ.jpg

I'm just stunned by Alonso's run. His first time ever doing an Indycar race, at the 500 no less, and he's in the Fast 9 for tomorrow.

He could have a real chance at the pole tomorrow despite my initial scepticism.
Based on input by my expert friend Stan who's been to Indy steadily for decades, Alonso will fail in the race for the following reasons:
1) Though fast on new tires, he's slow on worn tires; so far quite a few of the others have been quicker on worn tires.
2) His wide line into Turn 1 will lose him many positions.
3) To do well in traffic, he needs the other drivers to be willing to work with him. Being a rookie, he will be tentative and inexperienced in traffic. Unlikely that the other drivers will want to work with him in traffic.
4) He has a giant bulls-eye on this back. ALL the other drivers, without exception, will want to be able to brag they beat Alonso.
5) As the 6th team for Penske Andretti, the experience, skills and coordination of his pit crew will be put to the test.

Edit: correction.

Last edited:
Just saw the accident, absolutely horrifying. You could tell Bestwick was horrified and that both Cheever and Goodyear were in shock.

Thank goodness for the safer barriers, DW12 and the later improvements made to it, the safety crew, and the HANS device. Without these, Seb would have died.

Not sure you can say without one of those things he'd be dead. The problem is people forget that yes it looks bad, but carbon mono did it's job and was fully in place. Even if it was the previous car I feel it's safe to say he'd have lived because there were crashes just like this at indy in those.

The only thing in that equation that I feel would always need to be essential is the safer barrier.

Not sure you can say without one of those things he'd be dead. The problem is people forget that yes it looks bad, but carbon mono did it's job and was fully in place. Even if it was the previous car I feel it's safe to say he'd have lived because there were crashes just like this at indy in those.

The only thing in that equation that I feel would always need to be essential is the safer barrier.
I'm saying if it weren't for all of those.

Last edited:
Back