Lanzante to Produce 5 McLaren P1 LMs Based Off Track-Only GTRs

AudiMan2011

Scottish
Contributing Writer
Scotland
GTPlanet
Street-King-07
Quattro Saltire
5 street-legal P1 GTRs converted by Lanzante will be sold as P1 LMs.
lanzante_6.jpg

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/goodwood-fos-2016/mclaren-p1-lm-wildest-p1-all#1

Interesting. The 2 that were spotted originally as street legal in Monaco were done by Lanzante, but the original story was that McLaren didn't approve those conversions. I thought at first maybe they were secretly part of these 5, but they're different colors.

P1 LM is an utterly stupid name. The F1 LM existed solely to commemorate the 1995 win at Le Mans... The P1 never actually raced anywhere. Unless LM means "limited mileage", there's no reason for them to have that moniker.

I don't understand where the £3.5 million pound price comes from... there is literally not enough car and labour there to warrant that price! They really did pick a figure out of thin air knowing many would be more than willing to pay it.

I don't understand where the £3.5 million pound price comes from... there is literally not enough car and labour there to warrant that price! They really did pick a figure out of thin air knowing many would be more than willing to pay it.
Where are you getting a price from?

I got it from Google News, I think the original source was from The Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/mclaren-set-launch-fastest-most-8265737
Taking into account at what Lanzante is doing, an extra 1 million GBP sounds about right. Beyond the removed weight, they have rebuilt the exhaust in a new material, fitted an exposed carbon roof, insulated the engine bay in gold leaf, refurbished the interior in Alcantara and modified aero. Then there are those extra goodies like the tool kit and diagnostics tablet along with the cost of making it road legal. It's not like it's some random workshop, they are credited with the 1995 win for McLaren.

So it would seem it is more than just "picked out of thin air". Even before this car was revealed, it was rumored the 2 previously seen Lanzante-converted GTRs had a $1 million conversion rate.
P1 LM is an utterly stupid name. The F1 LM existed solely to commemorate the 1995 win at Le Mans... The P1 never actually raced anywhere. Unless LM means "limited mileage", there's no reason for them to have that moniker.
Considering Lanzante is the reason they even have that win to begin with, I think they're excused with choosing that name.

I still don't see how it matters. It's like Joest putting their name on a limited edition road-going R8. Or TWR on an F-Type, or a Mazdaspeed Miata LM edition. The fact they're the team that won with the original car doesn't excuse it.

I still don't see how it matters. It's like Joest putting their name on a limited edition road-going R8. Or TWR on an F-Type, or a Mazdaspeed Miata LM edition. The fact they're the team that won with the original car doesn't excuse it.
Without Lanzante clinching the win & setting that "first time out" record, there wouldn't be 5 LMs built the following year to begin with.

Regardless, it's just a name & clearly nothing more than a homage to the F1 LM 20 years later. The idea behind both cars remains the same; both road going versions of their GTR models with additional, road-legal upgrades.

As much a fan I am of McLaren, I can't accept it as the new record holder; this is still a race car at its core, they just made the necessary changes to get it street legal.

At the end of the day, you can't buy it in a "production" configuration from the manufacturer. And from what I've ready, McLaren themselves weren't entirely thrilled at the idea of Lazante converting them either.

As much a fan I am of McLaren, I can't accept it as the new record holder; this is still a race car at its core, they just made the necessary changes to get it street legal.

At the end of the day, you can't buy it in a "production" configuration from the manufacturer
All of which applies to the NIO too (and I'm not sure about how street legal that car was with tyres that hold 2.5G). In fact every Ring record these days has some exception or other.

But it's okay because there isn't one.

All of which applies to the NIO too (and I'm not sure about how street legal that car was with tyres that hold 2.5G). In fact every Ring record these days has some exception or other.

But it's okay because there isn't one.
True. I remember the Radical debates very well.

I'd wager that at least the NIO is being produced with the intent to be used on the road unlike this P1 by McLaren, but valid point none the less.

McLaren supported Lanzante thru the development of the P1 LM and approved the release of this lap time. As far as people saying "oh you can't buy it in this configuration" you'll be happy to know they were only there to set the final specifications for the production cars. What is shown is what has been delivered.

At the end of the day, you can't buy it in a "production" configuration from the manufacturer. And from what I've ready, McLaren themselves weren't entirely thrilled at the idea of Lazante converting them either.
I think the only requirement is that the vehicle is street legal, so whats the problem?

I think the only requirement is that the vehicle is street legal, so whats the problem?
Street legal is far too broad to compete for the production record.

The Radical used to get debated constantly because it was street legal, but it was not a "production car", therefore people would not accept its lap time.
McLaren supported Lanzante thru the development of the P1 LM and approved the release of this lap time. As far as people saying "oh you can't buy it in this configuration" you'll be happy to know they were only there to set the final specifications for the production cars. What is shown is what has been delivered.
If McLaren has approved of the car (though autocar claims neither McLaren nor MSO have a direct involvement; only their blessing), then they've certainly changed their tune. When the news broke out about P1 GTRs being converted for road use, McLaren was reportedly, not exactly thrilled at the idea of their race cars being used for such.

Autocar, nuff said.

Owners aren't happy about the LM as McLaren hasn't handled PR very well but the LMs went thru MSO before going to Lanzante for completion.

XP1LM started out on Michelins but is on Pirellis for the record, wonder who has a technical partnership with them.....

The key question here is 'Who set the requirements?'

Once you start down that particular rabbit hole, you'll find out what the problem with all of the 'records' is...

Everyone upset some cars lap times on the Ring arent posted

Then they are posted and they are fast

Ugh, was that car even legal, we need more info on what tires it ran on, is that car even street legal, blah blah blah

Ok

For me, this shows..

1. The original claim from McLaren just before it launched, that the stock P1 had smashed 7 mins was complete BS
2. How impressive the sub 6'57 lap in a 918 was

Sticking a race car on road legal tyres and claiming a 'road car' record is pathetic.

Lamborghini's Perfomante lap is also highly suspect - a car with half the interior removed, suspect tyres, and a even questions about the validity of the video.

Should be a standard for fastest 'road car' claims.

20 years ago, perhaps even 10 years ago, Nurburgring lap records didn't mean anything to anyone. I suspect that we're not far from that being the case again.

Aside from the fact that meteorological conditions over such a long and hilly circuit have always rendered any time comparisons as moot. Manufacturers are totally blurring the lines of what can be considered a road car.

For me, this shows..

1. The original claim from McLaren just before it launched, that the stock P1 had smashed 7 mins was complete BS
2. How impressive the sub 6'57 lap in a 918 was

Sticking a race car on road legal tyres and claiming a 'road car' record is pathetic.

Lamborghini's Perfomante lap is also highly suspect - a car with half the interior removed, suspect tyres, and a even questions about the validity of the video.

Should be a standard for fastest 'road car' claims.
In Lamborghini's defense, they've offered to present data backing up their time and a VBox manufacturer did their own review of the lap and concluded it was legitimate based on what they observed.

I have no idea why anyone cares whether these cars are "road legal". It's a race track... you know... where you use race/track cars. Nobody is spending $1M just so they can drive the car home from the track. A pickup truck/trailer combo is not very expensive by comparison.

Things you want at the track:
- Helmet
- Roll cage
- No airbags
- Camber
- Expensive tires
- Stiff suspension
- 5 point harness

Things you want on the way home:
- No helmet
- No roll cage
- Airbags
- Seat belt
- less camber
- softer suspension
- air conditioning
- stereo
- comfort
- quiet
- cost effective tires

So what is the point of making sure that your track car can drive home? I know I know, it's a yardstick by which to measure these cars against each other... again, what is the point of that yardstick? It's not a good measurement.

Back