Meet the Zarooq Motors SandRacer 500GT, the First Off-Road Supercar

First Off-Road Supercar
1992-mega-track-5.jpg

I mean, i know the Mega Track is probably less suited for intense off-roading, but it still seems to have a fair amount of off-road capabilities

1992-mega-track-5.jpg

I mean, i know the Mega Track is probably less suited for intense off-roading, but it still seems to have a fair amount of off-road capabilities

They obviously don't include more recent cars like the Rally Fighter or the Italdesign Parcour (which I know was a concept, albeit driveable, but this is vapourware at this point so it's even) either.

I love this thing and want one, but not at near a half million dollars.

The Zarooq is probably considered the first off-road super car because the Rally Fighter has a front mid mounted engine instead of a rear mid mounted engine. It also works just as well on a race track as it does in the dunes with it's road mode that lowered the vehicle substantially.

It's also supposed to be fairly luxurious inside once it goes on sale although none of the press shots showcased an interior. The Rally Fighter looks pretty sparse inside, although I'm not sure if there are different trim levels.

And the Mega Trax, didn't they only build 5 of them? I'm guessing it's not well known enough for them to count it.

I've also seen comparisons to the Lamborghini LM002, which I'm not sure if that works either since the LM002 was essentially a military vehicle made comfortable...kind of like the Hummer.

How many SandRacer 500GT has Zarooq Motors built? All the pics of the production version are just computer generated images.

They will have 35 by Q4 of this year which they are working on right now.

And the I had to use the images from the website since they came from the press kit. I can't use other images if we don't have a photo release for them or else we run into copyright stuff.

The company's logo looks like the Viper logo

Zarooq means Sand Racer, which is apparently the fastest snake in the desert.

They will have 35 by Q4 of this year which they are working on right now.

And the I had to use the images from the website since they came from the press kit. I can't use other images if we don't have a photo release for them or else we run into copyright stuff.

Zarooq means Sand Racer, which is apparently the fastest snake in the desert.

I hadn't heard of the Mega Trax until today, and 25 years from now, this will be a similar little-known footnote.

It can join my garage collection along with the Devel Sixteen, Elibriea, Youabian Puma.

The Rally Fighter is already pretty much an off-road supercar.

It was a military vehicle that was converted to civilian use and made by a tractor company that sometimes make fast cars.

It can join my garage collection along with the Devel Sixteen, Elibriea, Youabian Puma.

The Rally Fighter is already pretty much an off-road supercar.

I'm still not sure the Rally Fighter can be classified as a super car with the classic definition. It's not stupidly expensive, it's not that luxurious, and the engine sits in front of the driver. I'd put the Rally Fighter in the class of "off-road muscle car".

They obviously don't include more recent cars like the Rally Fighter or the Italdesign Parcour (which I know was a concept, albeit driveable, but this is vapourware at this point so it's even) either.

Was about to say, you can't claim first when Local Motors has been around for a while.

The lm002 is a bit of an odd ball that doesn't fit in any classification .
Supercar manufacturer.
Supercar engine. 7.2 v12 from the countach with some variants up to 600hp.
Tubular spaceframe chassis and lightweight alloy body panels
And a 2700kg that's nearly 6000lb DRY curb weight.
Fill the 290lt or 64 gallon fuel tank (almost enough for 400 downhill miles ) and that weight creeps up even more.
0-60 was in the 8 second range while the 60-0 times are best classified as a bit scarey
Supercar? No. Just a fairly quick suv. But would I want one. Oh hell yes.

The Group B 959 isn't really an off-road supercar, it's a race car based off a street car.

Back