Get The Lowdown on Need For Speed Payback's Customization

derelictmenu-800x450.jpg

If you showed me this screenshot in a vacuum I'd say if was from a Forza Horizon game. The UI and colour palette looks a lot like what is seen in Forza Horizon 3, most notably the car list across the bottom:

Forza-Horizon-3-Reliant-Supervan-III-1024x576.png

This isn't a criticism or anything, just an observation.

derelictmenu-800x450.jpg

If you showed me this screenshot in a vacuum I'd say if was from a Forza Horizon game. The UI and colour palette looks a lot like what is seen in Forza Horizon 3, most notably the car list across the bottom:

Yep, that's exactly what I thought too. I was going to leave drawing the comparison between the two but couldn't help myself. It's near identical!

derelictmenu-800x450.jpg

That is Chinese-levels of imitation right there, right down to the button placement! :lol:

But I'm not complaining, Forza Horizon 3 was is a great game so I don't mind Need For Speed nicking some ideas from Playground Games. ;)

But will the gameplay still be as horrible as the previous games?

Meaning over-the-top arcade drift-boosting cornering crap?

Will actually try the game and it's gameplay before considering buying it.

But will the gameplay still be as horrible as the previous games?

Meaning over-the-top arcade drift-boosting cornering crap?

Will actually try the game and it's gameplay before considering buying it.
I don't mind the over the top arcadeness to the game, I just hope the cars can drive in a straight line and not get absorbed into the walls, first and foremost. I'd also prefer if they got rid of the drift-boosting.

I don't mind the over the top arcadeness to the game, I just hope the cars can drive in a straight line and not get absorbed into the walls, first and foremost. I'd also prefer if they got rid of the drift-boosting.
I agree.

I want the arcade gameplay that games like Underground 2 and Most Wanted 2005 had/have. Would be awesome.

But that won't happen.

Tbh these old NfS games were extreme arcade. No challenge at all :D I would get bored with this kind of handling again.

Last edited:
I ment the handling...

I hope the new game has handling like it was in Rivals... Was not so extreme arcade as the older games like MW, UG..

I ment the handling...

I hope the new game has handling like it was in Rivals... Was not so extreme arcade as the older games like MW, UG..
To be honest, nfs2015' handling model was so bad that I feel the only direction they have to go is up, now. If they manage to botch it even more than I'd be shocked.

Well...the ONLY thing that matters when it comes to a new NFS game is the physics and controls. I don't think anybody will blink an eye at it once the reviews reveal that it still lacks in those two major components.

So, along with everyone else, I'll wait until AFTER it's reviewed.

I need to see physics before I consider any NFS games again.
With FH3 a reality, NFS has been outgunned and outclassed in every way. Bleep you EA!

I don't mind easy arcade physics, but learning blatantly incorrect physics that are in any way difficult isn't in my time budget.

I would call the menu a ripoff of FH3, but FH3 is pretty clearly an ultimate version of NFS made by a better company.

Flat and brightly coloured is an "in" style now. Expect to see many games, websites, etc in 2017 and 2018 to have similar designs.

I need to see physics before I consider any NFS games again.
With FH3 a reality, NFS has been outgunned and outclassed in every way... except customization... Bleep you EA!

I don't mind easy arcade physics, but learning blatantly incorrect physics that are in any way difficult isn't in my time budget.

I would call the menu a ripoff of FH3, but FH3 is pretty clearly an ultimate version of NFS made by a better company.

Fixed it for you.

Fixed it for you.
No, it definitely beats it in that regard too. If not, they're both similar as they both have cars that they completely neglect. Horizon has a bigger car list and still manages to fill the majority of it with customization. I think what NFS beats it in is in regards to the actual livery editor in specific area's like material and placement only, and paint when it comes to how we can paint calipers and wheels. That's it.

With 1/5th of a car list compared to Horizon, they could have done just so much more. It's just another area that just seemed half-hearted when you look at the greater picture. They did offer unique customization options for older vehicles though, with things like the Volvo and what not. I still wouldn't say they have them beat in any regard though.

No, it definitely beats it in that regard too. If not, they're both similar as they both have cars that they completely neglect.

Well, the context indicated the statement CSLACR made was about the NFS franchise in general, not "NFS 2015." I'm not sure how anyone can look at videos about customization in Payback and not conclude that it is superior to Forza. So in terms of the franchise in general, I maintain my opinion that NFS is superior. Now, if you want to throw rocks at NFS 2015, then an argument could be made for Forza on many levels I'm sure.

Well, the context indicated the statement CSLACR made was about the NFS franchise in general, not "NFS 2015." I'm not sure how anyone can look at videos about customization in Payback and not conclude that it is superior to Forza. So in terms of the franchise in general, I maintain my opinion that NFS is superior. Now, if you want to throw rocks at NFS 2015, then an argument could be made for Forza on many levels I'm sure.
How is it superior? The one thing they're doing that I know Forza isn't is those 5 derelict cars. Oh, and tire smoke and neons.

... and nitrous flames and a superior wrap editor.
Yes, I confirmed that the wrap editor excels in two spots, materials and placement of things like windows and what not. That's hardly superior, but it is better. Although I was expecting a laundry list of things that it does better, so I guess its truly not superior, just equally different in its own way. Horizon just covers every other aspect much, much better as well.

Within these aspects, the differences are minor at best. The thing that is different is that Horizon is covering a much, much larger scale, and still manages to keep its head above water. NFS being so much smaller of a game, you'd expect them to be able to blow them out of the water.

I'm trying to find some NFS wraps to compare to those in Forza, do you have any in mind for a comparison? It would nice to see whats achievable within both.

Last edited:
Which NFS has engine, drivetrain and aspiration alterations?
Because I've played a lot and none of that was ever in any NFS I owned. (Almost every NFS ever made)
So maybe a new NFS that's over a year newer than FH3 will have better wraps, nitrous flames and neons...meanwhile FH3 has engine swaps, drivetrain swaps, and aspiration mods. (In NFS at least historicall an NA engine can never be boosted, etc)

I would also argue that neons, wraps, and nitrous flames are only visual, which is sonewhat different.
But yeah I guess if neons and setting exhaust on fire is the way to make a games customization "the best" in someone's opinion, than NFS has it made.

I, for one, don't give a rats ass about nitrous flames, although neons can be neat, I never fret if they're not in a game.

Which NFS has engine
Shift 2, although it was limited to one option per car.

drivetrain
None as far as I'm aware.

aspiration alterations?
(In NFS at least historicall an NA engine can never be boosted, etc)
Literally every game that had some detailed form of performance customization. Of course there isn't really a choice between turbocharging and supercharging, and they act pretty much the same in-game.

Of course, neither of these are done to the scale of Forza, but they were there at some point.

Back