Gear.Club Unlimited Brings Realistic Racing to Nintendo Switch

The Switch could use an actual AAA racing game (most likely NFS) for the console, rather than a glorified mobile port. I downloaded "GeardotClub" on my IPhone and deleted shortly after.
Is it bad then yeah? I generally don't play mobile games but I was interested given the title's car roster.

Is it bad then yeah? I generally don't play mobile games but I was interested given the title's car roster.

If you're into dumping your wallet, go ahead. I prefer to save my money for actual $60 games.
The game itself is pretty typical mobile game fare, free for the first hour.

The Switch could use an actual AAA racing game (most likely NFS) for the console, rather than a glorified mobile port. I downloaded "GeardotClub" on my IPhone and deleted shortly after.

Hopefully they do get a NFS game. I wonder if the Switch can handle the most recent editions, though?

If not, remasters of Underground 1/2, Most Wanted, etc. would be very good to add to the switch lineup - those I would buy 👍

I downloaded Gear Club and deleted it shortly after as well. Real Racing 3 is a whole lot more fun, more graphically polished and less glitchy IMO. Still freemium but I've enjoyed it so far.

Don't have a switch, nor am thinking about getting one, but a remastered nfs underground 2 would be amazing :)

If you're into dumping your wallet, go ahead. I prefer to save my money for actual $60 games.
The game itself is pretty typical mobile game fare, free for the first hour.

Can't speak for the general quality of the game, since I haven't played it... but I'm pretty confident that this Switch port won't be free-to-play. One would assume that they'll be ditching the microtransactions in favor of an upfront pricetag, hence the "Unlimited" being added to the title of this version. Probably won't be a full price release, either... If I had to guess, it'll probably be in the $20-40 range.

Good - Nintendo has needed this. They have no sim-type racers to speak of, not even on the WiiU. It's been a long time. It should at least fill a void
Given there's going to be an actual controller set to work with now, I'm intrigued to see what Eden do physics wise. From what I gather, the app isn't overly suited to bluetooth controllers and the like,

No one got the Test Drive name reference then? My short experience with it on Android some months ago was like most here, it ran badly and was riddled with bugs, crashes and frequent, infinite loading screens. This, the delays before release and the car dealerships were about all that reminded me of TDU. The game itself just seemed extremely geared to make you pay and the racing, unlike Asphalt 8, felt incredibly boring.

No one got the Test Drive name reference then? My short experience with it on Android some months ago was like most here, it ran badly and was riddled with bugs, crashes and frequent, infinite loading screens. This, the delays before release and the car dealerships were about all that reminded me of TDU. The game itself just seemed extremely geared to make you pay and the racing, unlike Asphalt 8, felt incredibly boring.
Doesn't sound very good at all. Here's hoping a non-monetized version can be a bit better.

I... I dunno. I didn't have any technical problems with Gear.Club, and at least at the lower car classes I played, it hardly felt like I was being pushed to pay for stuff. The thing that I personally disliked the most was how there were no touch control layouts that were more in line with traditional controllers, so everything felt kinda awkward for me.

Let's hope for this game/version to have more cars, longer tracks, and plenty of features that we all wanted to appear in this game.

Yikes! Even the engine sounds in this game seem better than GTSport. That is of course if that engine note was actually from the game. It sounded pretty good though! Looks like a fun racer.

I downloaded Gear Club and deleted it shortly after as well. Real Racing 3 is a whole lot more fun, more graphically polished and less glitchy IMO. Still freemium but I've enjoyed it so far.

Don't have a switch, nor am thinking about getting one, but a remastered nfs underground 2 would be amazing :)
I'm also a big fan of Real Racing 3 and in my opinion is by far the premier hand held driving game.

I also like Assaluto Racing but not having Cockpit View is a deal breaker for me.

I... I dunno. I didn't have any technical problems with Gear.Club, and at least at the lower car classes I played, it hardly felt like I was being pushed to pay for stuff. The thing that I personally disliked the most was how there were no touch control layouts that were more in line with traditional controllers, so everything felt kinda awkward for me.

Well it seems like both of those issues would be gone with the Switch version, due to the different monetization model and physical controls.

Game looks pretty decent, but I'm not entirely convinced that it'll be the Switch's answer for GT/Forza/PCars. Looks a bit more on the simcadey side (yeah I said simcade, sue me), something along the lines of Project Gotham Racing. Not a bad thing, mind you... but I do hope that something a bit more serious eventually comes to Switch.

Hey Konami... if you ever wanted to take another stab at Enthusia, it could probably find a home on Switch. Just sayin'. ;)

Hey Konami... if you ever wanted to take another stab at Enthusia, it could probably find a home on Switch. Just sayin'. ;)
Truthfully, I suspect Konami came down hard on the team once the game failed to live up to the company's presumably lofty and impatient expectations, as implied by the company practices that the whole debacle with Hideo Kijima exposed. It's sad, because the team was evidently passionate about what they had created, assuming some of them were responsible for that Road Fighters 3D arcade game which paid tribute to Enthusia.

I wish Nintendo would find it in themselves to take a stab at a semi-serious racing game themselves. It could be really charming like the older Gran Turismos, maybe even innovate on the genre in a significant way like Splatoon did for multiplayer shooters. MK8(DX) is already dripping with more automotive/motorsports flavor than any of its predecessors, IMO, so I could see that passion being put into a game with full-size cars. How about Auto Modellista's cel-shaded style while we're at it?

Here is how I look at it... you game with a Nintendo Switch. You are a racing/driving game fan. Name one quality, non-exclusive simulation or simulation style racing game or series for the Switch besides the Mario Kart games. EXACTLY. To me, this is just a realistic racing game offering for a company not known for having much in the way of simulation-type racing games. Okay. Maybe it's not the best offering, but at least this is better than nothing. At least this is something to please the more realistic driving set who game on Nintendo and game with the Switch. Think about it. You have all kinds of options for simulation and simulation style games for PlayStation consoles and XBOX consoles. You have your PC options, obviously. You don't have too many options for simulation style or "simcade" (I know some people hate that word. I'm sorry...) racers if you're on the Nintendo side. So if you want some kind of experience that you COULD be proud of, it's this or nothing.

My biggest fear with this game is... if you played "Test Drive Unlimited 2," you have qualms as to whether or not Eden Games has learned from the fallacies of TDU2. I seen TDU2 as a game that was great, but could have been much better. I would give Gear.Club Unlimited a chance even if it is a "glorified mobile game for console." And please- let's not write this game off just because it has "graphics from 2008." Remember that graphics aren't the decisive factor of whether or not a game is good. Here is something you rarely see in the same sentence- "decent" and "YouTube comment" in the same sentence: I even seen a decent YouTube comment saying that the Switch is in dire need of a realistic racer, and this is a fine candidate for that.

Whether or not this game is successful or garners any serious love from the public-at-large remains to be seen. If you ask me, I would actually be excited for this one. Let's just hope this game offers something at least fairly decent for a console maker not known for any great simulation or simulation-style racing/driving games.

I downloaded it for my phone before and it's a good game. Everything about it feels like Test Drive Unlimited. The scenic tracks, car models, dealerships, and being able to customize your own garage. Oh and I like how they added visual car customization as well.

Regardless I'm glad the Switch is finally getting a racing game that features real life cars.

Well it seems like both of those issues would be gone with the Switch version, due to the different monetization model and physical controls.

Game looks pretty decent, but I'm not entirely convinced that it'll be the Switch's answer for GT/Forza/PCars. Looks a bit more on the simcadey side (yeah I said simcade, sue me), something along the lines of Project Gotham Racing. Not a bad thing, mind you... but I do hope that something a bit more serious eventually comes to Switch.

Heck, even the remaster of GTI Club Wii with more cars, tracks and better graphics would be nice (it made by Konami too iirc)

Latest Posts

Back