Fanatec CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 58 comments
Bulgaria
Bulgaria
CSL-Elite-RP1X-Big_01-1000x666.png

PC/XBOX ONE/PS4 READY

The Elite version of the P1

The wheel rim is covered with genuine automotive grade Alcantara and an eye-catching red cross-stitched seam, providing best grip and comfort.

CSL-Elite-RP1X-S_01.png

Snapdome shifters
The newly designed shifter paddles utilize Snapdome™ technology and have an intensive and positive click feeling.

CSL-Elite-RP1X-S_02.png

Exchangeable button caps
The Xbox One button caps can be changed easily to racing style button caps, with symbols that match the most popular functions you need during a race.
CSL-Elite-RP1X-Button-Animation.gif

Compact & lightweight

The lightweight steering wheel (970g/2.138lbs) has a realistic diameter of 30cm (11.81 inches), utilizing the simplified quick release introduced with the non-Elite version CSL Steering Wheel P1.

CSL-Elite-RP1X-S_03.png

Brushed aluminum spokes
The Elite P1 features solid brushed aluminum spokes with a fiber enforced back cover.

CSL-Elite-RP1X-S_04.gif

Display and RevStripe
See what is going on with the RevStripe™, an illuminated center stripe, and the integrated 3 digit LED screen to show you important car and race data in compatible games. The display also features the famous Fanatec® tuning menu, allowing tweaks to the wheel during gameplay.

Adds Xbox One compatibility
As soon as you connect this steering wheel to your compatible base, the whole system (with attached peripherals like shifters, pedals or handbrake) will become an Xbox One peripheral.

CSL-Elite-RP1X-S_05.jpg

The Xbox One mode
All compatible Fanatec Wheel Bases will turn into Xbox One mode as soon as you connect this steering wheel, signaled by the mode LED turning green. A white LED placed above the Xbox logo of the steering wheel shows the active communication to the console.

CSL-Elite-RP1X-S_06.jpg

Future proof
By integrating the Xbox One specific electronics into this steering wheel, there is a higher chance that you can use most of your wheel system in future. It will also work seamlessly with the upcoming Xbox One X when it launches later in 2017.

Features

• A connected wheel base will become Xbox One compatible due to integration of the Xbox One specific electronics into this steering wheel
  • Plug & Play: Ready to use right away without any assembly required
  • Realistic size (Ø30cm/11.81 inches)
  • Very low steering wheel weight of only 970g / 2.138lbs for fast acceleration and fidelity
  • RevStripe™ in wheel rim, which is a combined centerstripe and a revmeter, using a multicolor LED
  • Three digits LED display smoothly integrated to wheel rim below the RevStripe™, featuring telemetry data like speed or gears to be displayed by compatible games or third-party software
  • Wheel rim covered with genuine Alcantara® and an eye-catching red cross-stitched seam
  • Completely redesigned, durable shifter paddles with intensive Snapdome click feeling
  • Brushed aluminum spokes with fiber enforced back cover
  • Features buttons with Xbox One symbols, interchangeable with the included racing style buttons
  • 4-way direction pad with push button
  • Tuning functions with LED display to adjust settings independent from the game and during gameplay (see description of compatible wheel base/racing wheel for details)
Compatibility

Wheel Bases:
  • ClubSport Wheel Base V2
  • ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5
  • CSL Elite Wheel Base
  • CSL Elite Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4
Platforms:
  • Xbox One: If connected with this steering wheel, the above mentioned wheel bases will be compatible to Xbox One.
  • PC and other Platforms: The specifications of the compatible wheel bases will remain unchanged.
Availability date: 2017-09-08
Price:179.95€/159.95$/249.90AU$/22,900¥

Link:Fanatec CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1-EU/US/JP/AU

Last edited:
So it's €180 versus the plastic/rubber (yet heavier) original non-Elite P1 rim coming in at €100. Seems like a fair price to me for a much better rim.

(https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steer...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet 1170g versus
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steer...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet 970g)

That combo of the CSL Elite for PS4 wheelbase plus one of these rims to have multiconsole support just got more appealing.

I also like the Competition pack:
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/bundl...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
€700 for the CSWv2.5 base, this new rim and the two pedal CSL Elite set is a very decent bundle. Add €140 for the third pedal and it's a killer combo for PC/Xbox One Forza owners.

Last edited:
@super_gt - I spun this off, as I think it's fair all new product announcements — from Fanatec, Thrustmaster, Logitech, or any others — deserve their own dedicated threads instead of being buried in multi-hundred page monoliths. 👍

You just beat us to the punch by a bit. ;)

Basically, this + the CSL Elite PS4 is the ultimate multiconsole wheel.

If I understand correctly, this wheel would be compatible with PS4 also, as the base is the one responsible for PS4 compatibility.

So you buy this rim, CSL Elite PS4 base and the CSL Elite LC pedals and you're good for any platform

You have got to hand it to @Fanatec... they keep delivering high quality products and do their utmost to ensure that their wheels will work with as many platforms as possible. This is an absolute no brainer for anyone with multiple consoles and even for those with only one console Fanatec surely are the only choice if you are prepared to spend that little bit extra.

Basically, this + the CSL Elite PS4 is the ultimate multiconsole wheel.

If I understand correctly, this wheel would be compatible with PS4 also, as the base is the one responsible for PS4 compatibility.

So you buy this rim, CSL Elite PS4 base and the CSL Elite LC pedals and you're good for any platform

I can confirm that yes, the base retains full PS4 compatibility with the P1 attached. There's something a little naughty feeling about using the Xbox button for PS menu controls... :mischievous:

€700 for the CSWv2.5 base, this new rim and the two pedal CSL Elite set is a very decent bundle. Add €140 for the third pedal and it's a killer combo for PC/Xbox One Forza owners.

Does that 840€ include a gate shifter? You need a gate shifter and 3 pedals for a complete set up

Its a nice looking wheel none the less, anybody know if it's direct drive?

I don't know whether this is great news or OK news for me.

Potential to have a base work with PS4, Xbox One X and PC - check.

Direct Drive wheel coming in late 2017 that will almost assuredly work with the Xbox One X and PC - most likely check.

Do I want something for my PS4 for Gran Tourismo and potential VR racing? - THAT is the question.

Man, crazy to think that if I splurge right now (wheel base, P1 fro Xbox and PS) I'd be done and ready to go for one of the greatest release windows in video racing game history (won't offend sim racers by using the term "sim racing" here). However, the DD at the end of the year is calling to me.

Difficult decision, but I'll take these first world problems over real ones!

Guys, when you consider the hardware we have now, along with the games coming out, there is no way that you can't consider this the golden age of game/sim racing.

Last edited:
super_gt, thank you very much, my friend.

However, still torn on what to do, but I do have a clearer understand and please anyone correct me if I am wrong:

If I want cross platform compatibility it has to be with CSL Elite P1 for the PS4 (Wheel and base) and the CSL Elite P1 wheel for the Xbox One. As of now there is no guarantee that the P1 for the PS4 will work with the V2.5 base, correct?

My perfect world (if not ending up with a DD from fanatec anytime in 2017 or 2018) would be a V2.5 base, and the two P1 wheels for Xbox and Sony. However, again, although the X One P1 is compatible with all wheel bases, I am not sure the Sony P1 is.

Additionally, this is all moot if I can't buy the Sony P1 wheel separately.

I wish they would make this just a little easier for me to give them money! :lol:

EDIT: Or, I get the PS1 and CSL for PS4 and then pull out my old 911 GT2 wheel from my 360 ( I loved that thing!) which I still have and buy a cronus!

Last edited:
Mad, buddy, may you live to be a thousand years old. That is not a bad idea. If I was previously thinking about the hub for the Xbox one, why not think about it for the PS4? However, DOES it work that way?

If so, excellent suggestion.

...although I am insulted that you didn't give my old 911 GT2 wheel a little love. :lol:

EDIT: Please stay in contact here with what you are doing, Mad.

The DriveHub doesn't care from what I gather. You can use whatever wheel you want (as long as it's listed as compatible with Drivehub) on whatever console, meaning you could use one of the PC only wheels from Fanatec on Xbox One and PS4 if you want. It's all up to you at that point. The Hub does the translation for both platforms. :)

So, if I am understanding you correctly, you can use the Xbox One P1 wheel, with the Hub on PS4, because it is the Hub that is communicating with the PS4, correct?

The thing is, do we know that the Hub plays nice with the PS4 or is Sony putting (or trying to put) the Kibosh on that?

Most answers can be found here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/drive-hub-use-any-wheel-on-any-console-almost.358306/

The short of it is: It works on PS4 because the Hub does the translation and they won't block it, because they can't. As far as I know, the controller you plug into the Hub is doing the work of securing and authenticating the wheel to the console itself, making it almost impossible to block without risking problems from legit controllers.

Please forgive me, mad, I'm a moron.

When we were talking Hub, you were talking about the Cronus which should have been obvious to me. I thought you meant Universal Hub from fanatec.

Again , my apologies.

Edit: If no cronus (or if it is cut off in the future) it is a little scary that if you buy the v2.5 base with out the universal hub and wheel for Xbox One you are stuck forever with just the P1, since you can't buy fanatec's universal hub separately.

Edit 2: I stand corrected, you can get it, but for $299. The bundle would work, but if I am getting my first new pedals in almost 6 years I would like to get the Inverted V3s. In the bundle you would be paying only $60 for the P1 (if you include the $99 bundle discount), but you'd then have two wheels, and the Unviersal Hub...big (bigger) bucks, though.

Last edited:
If I want cross platform compatibility it has to be with CSL Elite P1 for the PS4 (Wheel and base) and the CSL Elite P1 wheel for the Xbox One. As of now there is no guarantee that the P1 for the PS4 will work with the V2.5 base, correct?

My perfect world (if not ending up with a DD from fanatec anytime in 2017 or 2018) would be a V2.5 base, and the two P1 wheels for Xbox and Sony. However, again, although the X One P1 is compatible with all wheel bases, I am not sure the Sony P1 is.

Additionally, this is all moot if I can't buy the Sony P1 wheel separately.
The compatibility with PS4 is built-in in the base of the CSL Elite Racing Wheel not in the wheel,so even if you put PS4 P1 wheel on V2.5 base it will not make the base compatible with PS4.
:)

I hate you guys for getting me pumped about stuff.

You do realize that, right?

:lol:

I'm picturing myself unboxing the stuff, running my hands over the smooth, heavy metal, mounting it on my N1, grabbing the alcantara wheel and starting a game...:eek:

AGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

So, if I am understanding you correctly, you can use the Xbox One P1 wheel, with the Hub on PS4, because it is the Hub that is communicating with the PS4, correct?

The thing is, do we know that the Hub plays nice with the PS4 or is Sony putting (or trying to put) the Kibosh on that?

From my understanding of using it for the last week and a bit, how Fanatec has done things can be boiled down to this:
  • PS4 compatibility is dealt with via bases (the new PS4 CSL Elite base)
  • XB1 compatibility is dealt with via wheels (the P1 Elite, plenty of existing rims)
This way, it solves the issue of pleasing both Sony and Microsoft. I've been using the PS4 Elite base, and the new P1 rim was a simple plug-and-play addition. Swapping it on, all I have to do when jumping from console to console is plug the USB into the right one, and press the Mode button to get to the proper one.

The PS4 Elite base + any XB1 compatible wheel is therefore a full compatibility option. Hope that helps. 👍

From my understanding of using it for the last week and a bit, how Fanatec has done things can be boiled down to this:
  • PS4 compatibility is dealt with via bases (the new PS4 CSL Elite base)
  • XB1 compatibility is dealt with via wheels (the P1 Elite, plenty of existing rims)
This way, it solves the issue of pleasing both Sony and Microsoft. I've been using the PS4 Elite base, and the new P1 rim was a simple plug-and-play addition. Swapping it on, all I have to do when jumping from console to console is plug the USB into the right one, and press the Mode button to get to the proper one.

The PS4 Elite base + any XB1 compatible wheel is therefore a full compatibility option. Hope that helps. 👍

Helps a lot, SlipZ, and it does seem like a great option. Thank you!

However, and don't get me wrong as dollars are always a concern, but I have to decide if it is worth it to go up to the V2.5 base with the Xbox P1 (or other wheel options) and then just use the cronus for the PS4. I am just not necessarily sold on the CSL base, even though it provides a number of options.

...and do I even need to go into the "notching" or has that been rectified? I know Thomas mentioned a firmware update on his blog, but I haven't seen very much abut the results since.

In the past I claimed to want to go "up market" but, I keep looking at the CSL base and this wheel rim on Fanatec's website. With my CSR still working great, I am trying to justify taking the plunge on both... Damn temptations!

Then Super GT had to post a certain mod for the wheel base. Not that I have the skill to do that mod. It's outside of my comfort zone but, it did show that the wheelbase is metallic where it counts, and this wheel is just a good bargain...

Friggen Fanatec. Trying to take my bonus! LOL

Now that I am at home and in front of a keyboard, maybe I can write my thoughts about the wheel rim a little better. The Elite P1 is a definite improvement over the original P1 in every way. It makes picking the P1 a difficult decision, because I am always thinking, "For a little more, I can get...";

One small question about all versions of the P1. Are the shifter paddles removable? They look like they are permanently attached.

If they aren't then, hey Fanatec... I have a couple of ideas for an Elite P2 wheel rim. ;)

Last edited:
Then Super GT had to post a certain mod for the wheel base. Not that I have the skill to do that mod. It's outside of my comfort zone but, it did show that the wheelbase is metallic where it counts, and this wheel is just a good bargain...
One more picture for temptation.:P
(note:this is not the stock fan)

Snapshot_20171226_1.JPG

One small question about all versions of the P1. Are the shifter paddles removable? They look like they are permanently attached.
No,they are permanently attached.
Now that I am at home and in front of a keyboard, maybe I can write my thoughts about the wheel rim a little better. The Elite P1 is a definite improvement over the original P1 in every way. It makes picking the P1 a difficult decision, because I am always thinking, "For a little more, I can get...";
If you can afford it, take the Elite P1 wheel.

Thanks GT... You're no help. :lol:

Edit 1/6/18

I've been thinking long and hard about this. As much as I like the wheel rim and wheel base, I think getting a CSS 1.5 will be the better immediate purchase. With my (now ancient) CSR working and not showing any real signs of dying, a shifter would greatly add to my setup.

Heel and toe down shifting sucks when you're using wheel mounted paddles. It's incredibly unnatural to do, and I find myself butchering the gearbox because I can't get the timing down. Yet when I'm driving my real car, I can h&t with little effort. It has to be the lack of a gear lever, that's screwing me up, because the throw on the clutch pedal is probably twice as long as the base Fanatec CSR pedals.

So a CSS is going to take precedence over the wheel base. It would be a more substantial upgrade. After that, I'll probably tackle the pedals before the wheel base. It's about time that I geta loadcell brake. LOL.

Last edited:
Back