35mm's Snapshots

• Thread starter 35mm
  • 1,929 comments
That's a solid setup. And can't blame you for wanting AF - big part of why I migrated to Fuji years ago. Decent AF with plenty of small lenses and an old school film feeling set of dials. The latest Sony AF is still in a whole different league though and I'd absolutely use the eye-AF in social situations instead of thinking about where to place focus haha. Currently, I just leave Fuji's 27/2.8 pancake on my X-Pro2 since that 40mm FoV and AF turns photography into a point and click adventure game.
Eye-AF is game changing... Both for still portraits and video. It absolutely nails it 99% of the times and having a photo properly in focus on the eye does make all the difference. The same goes for video and its touch-tracking function.

But I can definitely see the appeal of the whole Fuji system and would definitely be my choice if I ever changed systems.

How does the Sony 35/1.8 compare to the Zeiss 35/2.8? Is it just the trade of sharpness and size for extra light and DoF control I imagine it to be?
I must confess I was always a bit disappointed with the Zeiss 35/2.8. While I loved its size and weight (it's perfect in that regard) it never really impressed me in the sharpness department. Not only that, but it also suffered from pulsing when focusing at longer distances and close-up AF was slow and a bit of a hit-and-miss. Maybe it was just my copy, as the Zeiss 55/1.8 is excelent.

But yes, except for the size and weight, the 35/1.8 is on a whole other level. The upgrade was a no-brainer once I decided to buy the A7 IV.

Also, have you looked into the compact Samyang/Rokinon AF lenses? That 18/2.8 looks like a great little ultra wide.
The whole "Tiny Series" is very tempting. But for now, I've decided to stick to Sony lenses, as the newer models are very nice and I've been getting good deals on them, with prices not to far from Samyang's.

I almost ended up getting the Samyang 35/1.8 (from the Tiny Series), but the MFD of the Sony and the better compatibility won at the end. Got it for a decent price as well.

But it's funny that you mention the 18/2.8 because I've actually been specifically eyeing that as the lens to buy next (because there's always a next...).

This is me trying out S&Q mode (slow-motion mode and time-lapse for dummies, basically) for the first time.

It's about 10 minutes of recording, which results in a 30 second video. The camera was just sitting on a balcony and does all the work; the result is instantaneous as well.

I'll be waiting for another similar day (windy and with a nice sunset) to redo this, as I thought I had the camera fully in manual mode, but ISO was in auto.

Nice images once again, would love to visit Madeira some time.
Thank you.

I may be biased (as I was born and raised there), but I definitely recommend visiting Madeira. Especially if you're OK with renting a car and driving around.

Back