35mm's Snapshots

• Thread starter 35mm
  • 1,929 comments
^ You mean the last shot, with the trees? That's just some sort of backyard area of a high school.

1/2500 | ƒ/2.8 | ISO 100 | 135 mm​

Here's two more with the Nikkor AI 135mm f/2.8.
The first one is very much like the one before, and the other is something a bit different (not really sure I like even like it yet :dopey:):

1/1600 | ƒ/2.8 | ISO 100 | 135 mm

1/3200 | ƒ/2.8 | ISO 100 | 135 mm​

I like the latest black and white shot. The two directions of the walkways makes for an interesting image.

^ Thanks.
I like the textures and tones of the wood as well.
In fact, looking at the photos on this page and at my avatar, I think I'm obsessed with it. :lol:

1/400 | ƒ/5.6 | ISO 100 | 135 mm

^ Now that is an interesting idea! Like the play on DoF there. Good stuff as usual! 👍

^ I like them, too, thanks! And that's probably why I can't stop posting shots from this day/place. ;)

1/800 | ƒ/1.8 | ISO 100 | 50 mm

1/1000 | ƒ/1.8 | ISO 100 | 50 mm​

^ Thanks for stopping by. 👍

Some of you should already know this one:

1/500 | ƒ/2.8 | ISO 200 | 135 mm

Agreed Solo the orange orchard is great. Again the tones are lovely.

I guess I'll +3 on that one about the orange groves.

Do you usually go out of your way to take these photos, or are they more things you pass by normally each day?

1/320 | ƒ/2.8 | ISO 100 | 135 mm

Do you usually go out of your way to take these photos, or are they more things you pass by normally each day?
It's more the second option. I mean, these are normally taken during weekends, in places where I have to be, or simply when we take a walk somewhere. I normally carry the camera with me.

Take this last set, for example: My wife's father owns this small orange grove, which is placed right next to his country house. We had to be there for a family meeting and I grabbed the opportunity and shot these - if you check the EXIF info, you'll see that the time between all these 6 shots is of 14 minutes.

In the end, I can't say I go out of my way to shoot; I just grab the shots that come across me.

Anyway, glad you guys like these. Thanks! 👍

Last edited:
Well, it hasn't been much of a daily update, has it?

I'm in the middle of changing jobs and moving to another city to live. Very tiresome.

Anyway, here's an update:

1/80 | ƒ/1.8 | ISO 2500 | 50 mm

1/250 | ƒ/2.8 | ISO 100 | 135 mm

Hope the move and job change go smoothly. The swing shot is nice. Seems sad, like the swing is missing the children playing. The hat and boots show hard graft.

Thanks, Martin.
Changing houses is always a bumpy ride... But things are finally settling down. Also, it's a better city and (hopefully) a better job, so I'm excited.

Now I must begin preparing my stuff for the 2 week vacation to the east we have ahead of us. :D

Oh, and the helmet and boots are the gear I used in my previous job, when I was at the construction site - it was meant to be a "farewell" photo of sorts.

1/80 | ƒ/1.8 | ISO 640 | 50 mm

1/80 | ƒ/2.5 | ISO 450 | 35 mm

1/80 | ƒ/2.5 | ISO 500 | 35 mm

1/500 | ƒ/2.8 | ISO 100 | 135 mm

Last edited:
^ Thank you. It's definitely the most popular one.

Back from vacation, let's see if I can bring this thread back to action, with regular updates.

1/80 | ƒ/1.4 | ISO 1100 | 50 mm​

Initially, I wanted the D800, too. Especially since I come from a D200 body, which is more a more "pro" body, with better materials and ergonomics.

When the D600 came out, I was a bit skeptical about it: the price was too high for such a body. But then I had the chance to try one in my hands and thought it was actually pretty good. Not D200/D800 level, but honestly good. Also, the price started coming down in Europe and the price difference between the D600 and the D800 started to make more sense.

Also, I decided that, if I went for a D800, I wanted the "E" version (without the AA filter). It was all or nothing for me. But unfortunately the price difference for a normal D800 is huge and it's hard to find. This was the final nail in the coffin that made me go for the D600.

In the end, I decided to get the D600 and use the price difference to get some glass.

I've just came from a 2 week vacation in various Eastern countries and I can tell you that the D600 never let me down. It felt comfortable and the weight difference for my D200 was actually welcomed.

Having said all this, if money was absolutely no objection, I'd have a D800E, yes. :)

Indeed, the filter is the problem with the D800. It'll cost me about 1950€ to get the D600, the Nikon grip and 2 extra batteries. The D800E on it's own is like 900€ more than that. :crazy:

Edit: oh and my 35mm DX lens will work just fine on the FX frames! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkvsh3IFRLg yay

Last edited:
I bought mine for around 1600€, online. This was in December.

Just a small tip: the D600's battery life is excellent. I couldn't live with anything less than two batteries with my D200, but I with the D600, even when using the camera all day during vacation, I never depleted the battery. It would normally be good for 2 whole days.

If course, if you use liveview, AF and VR a lot, the battery drainage will be quicker, but even so, I'm not sure you'll need the two extra batteries right now (and the grip, if its purpose is to hold the batteries).

EDIT: I actually bought a 35 1.8G in Hong Kong for my father's D3200 and yes, it works OK on full frame. But only when used with bigger apertures and when focusing on near objects. For example, focusing at f/8 on infinity will show very pronounced vignetting.

Back