Felipe Massa Will Retire from Formula 1 at the End of 2017 Season

This guy.

2017-11-05 00.16.26.jpg

Brazilians don't know how to retire.

Massa has been clearly told he has no drive for next year just like last year until he had a drive.

One of the very few nice drivers of the paddock!

Even though he is not being aggressive since his accident in 2009, I think he would be a much better choice than these future replacements. Kubica's will only brings spotlights, the others, just money. And since Stroll already pay the bills, why not bring a world champ like Button instead?! That would be nice!

Even though he is not being aggressive since his accident in 2009, I think he would be a much better choice than these future replacements. Kubica's will only brings spotlights, the others, just money. And since Stroll already pay the bills, why not bring a world champ like Button instead?! That would be nice!

Largely because Button retired from the sport because of his dad's passing.

Well, last-year was kinda soured by the weather IMO, hopefully this year will be a more fitting send-off with decent weather.

Hopefully.

While it would be easy to be skeptical about it since he is announcing it again, its worth remembering that nobody predicted Nico retiring. All that retirement parade and celebrations were done with no knowledge a seat was about to open up at Mercedes and likewise, a empty void left at Williams (with not many choices). Now if he comes back a third time, then yeah its just rediculous.

Well for one what @Terronium-12 said and two, because it's arguable that Button wont be any better than those you have an issue with. Maybe somewhat, but next to Kimi, Button is probably the most situational WDC of the last 10 years, where he is very setup dependent of the car. That's not to say he's bad, he's one of the best rain drivers I can think of, but the car typically needs to be well balanced all the time from design like the 2010 McLaren or Brawn of 2009, or you typically get what you saw in his later half with McLaren.

What this retirement tells me more so is that Felipe was probably informed that they were going with someone else more so than him calling quits. But that could easily be wrong on my part.

While it would be easy to be skeptical about it since he is announcing it again, its worth remembering that nobody predicted Nico retiring. All that retirement parade and celebrations were done with no knowledge a seat was about to open up at Mercedes and likewise, a empty void left at Williams (with not many choices). Now if he comes back a third time, then yeah its just rediculous.

We're typically a cynical bunch here but retirement reasons aside, he's hardly set races alight the last few years, and while he's a talented driver, he's never been exceptional. A journeyman at best. Just an opinion of course.

Why his retirement got an "oh, ok" off me. Twice.

We're typically a cynical bunch here but retirement reasons aside, he's hardly set races alight the last few years, and while he's a talented driver, he's never been exceptional. A journeyman at best. Just an opinion of course.

Why his retirement got an "oh, ok" off me. Twice.

Given his performances in 2008, I think he'd have been a lot more competitive had it not been for his accident in 2009. That seemed to take a lot of pace and hunger out of him.

I just reminded myself of it on youtube. Nasty. I think anyone would back off a little with a crash like that.

I'll put it this way, he's been a solid driver through a long career but he's never raised my eyebrows like a lot of other drivers have.

Massa makes himself very hard to like, I'm sure he's a wonderful bloke and I've enjoyed him having fun with Riccy but after the accident and being dominated by Alonso, he lost something. Maybe it was the fire inside him, but he's not the driver he was and for that I feel for the guy.
But he's had a great career, done more than most racing drivers can ever dream off and was seconds away from being a world champion with Ferrari.

Let's just hope Kubica gets his seat! haha

Well for one what @Terronium-12 said and two, because it's arguable that Button wont be any better than those you have an issue with. Maybe somewhat, but next to Kimi, Button is probably the most situational WDC of the last 10 years, where he is very setup dependent of the car. That's not to say he's bad, he's one of the best rain drivers I can think of, but the car typically needs to be well balanced all the time from design like the 2010 McLaren or Brawn of 2009, or you typically get what you saw in his later half with McLaren.

What this retirement tells me more so is that Felipe was probably informed that they were going with someone else more so than him calling quits. But that could easily be wrong on my part.

Also, Monaco was a good example of why Button wouldn't be a good shout. He was meh all race and then got fed up and binned it with a careless move.

Tho I think your being hard on Button. After 2009 he went to McLaren, which was very much Lewis's team and regardless of Lewis's implosion in 2011, Button still did a better job than everyone expected and I think has done more for McLaren than Kimi has done for Ferrari after he won his title.

Also, Monaco was a good example of why Button wouldn't be a good shout. He was meh all race and then got fed up and binned it with a careless move.

Tho I think your being hard on Button. After 2009 he went to McLaren, which was very much Lewis's team and regardless of Lewis's implosion in 2011, Button still did a better job than everyone expected and I think has done more for McLaren than Kimi has done for Ferrari after he won his title.

Not being hard at all, he himself at times has said that setup has been a big issue and why he hasn't always been in his comfort zone. No one is saying he isn't a good team builder, but Williams know they're issues what they need is backing and a pair of hands to do what Bottas did so they have interested investors that will hopefully take them to the front of the grid again one day. Button isn't that guy nor is anyone that is around the age of Massa.

Back