Ferrari Threatens to Withdraw from F1 and Start Rival Series

Ever since Liberty Media or whoever these losers are got their hands on the league they've been shaking up the rules and annoying the major teams.

Personally I feel the whole Liberty Media takeover and general change in ruling has been beneficial to the world of F1. I think he shake-up in rule changes were inevitable with such a takeover, as the new owners want to put there mark on the sport as they begin to change it for the better now that Ecclestone has stood back. A change was needed.

As ever with F1, such change was always going to be met with disparage and disagreement from the teams and drivers. Granted some of the changes were not the "best" in my opinion (*cough" Halo, *cough* removal of shark-fin...), but not everything is going to go smoothly.

Otherwise these Ferrari threats don't surprise me, sort of come to be expected after all these years really :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
*sigh* Here we go again.

200.gif

Even though they have proven to come through everytime the regulations have changed, they still get mad about changes. They were mad when they outlawed v12 engines then v8 engines even the hybrid systems. They still have the upper hand with adaptation. That's why Ferrari is still one of the best.

Even though they have proven to come through everytime the regulations have changed, they still get mad about changes. They were mad when they outlawed v12 engines then v8 engines even the hybrid systems. They still have the upper hand with adaptation. That's why Ferrari is still one of the best.

They absolutely are one of the best, and have been in F1 since 1950? I believe.

But just because you're the veteran on deck doesn't mean you have the right to act the way their organization does.

You build your car within the rules, not build the rules to fit your car.

I think Ferrari needs F1 more than F1 needs Ferrari. Maybe they could be replaced with Porsche in 2021?

Which is interesting, because if it's any sport they are recently "dominating" it's the GTE Pro category of the WEC. Winners of multiple titles in past 6 years aren't they? But yet Ferrari doesn't even really talk about them.

Bluff or not this is a necessary balancing move from Ferrari. Being the oldest team comes with privileges (like the extra money or the veto vote in the Council) but also comes with the obligation to speak up for the sport and the other teams whenever the bosses (so far Ecclestone) want to change the way things are. It's a bargaining act, it's a negotiation. Ferrari won't leave F1, they just want to balance the deal so that all sides get something from it.

Considering the $100m they get over Mercedes shouldn't they have won so much more?

You would think so, but money doesn't always make the car go faster...

I think Ferrari needs F1 more than F1 needs Ferrari. Maybe they could be replaced with Porsche in 2021?

I would argue it's the other way around.

Ferrari as a global brand is a hugely powerful entity. It's no wonder Fiat floated part of the Prancing Horse as an IPO a couple of years ago. Yes, Ferrari gains awareness/publicity by simply appearing in F1, but it could easily be self-sustaining beyond the walls that the series has boxed itself within. Ferrari will always be Ferrari, with or without F1.

Which is interesting, because if it's any sport they are recently "dominating" it's the GTE Pro category of the WEC. Winners of multiple titles in past 6 years aren't they? But yet Ferrari doesn't even really talk about them.

In terms of global coverage, F1 (in Europe at least) is the market leader by a long way, so any other form of motorsport pretty much gets overlooked by Average Joe, either through ignorance or lack of meaningful coverage.

Plus, everyone always links Ferrari to F1, and vice versa: the 2 are symbiotically linked to each other. Anything else motorsport-related to the brand is, arguably by default, secondary.

The only factory team Ferrari has is the F1 program. Sure there are GT racers all over the world, but teams like AF Corse only get support from Ferrari.

Ferrari won't leave F1, they just want to balance the deal so that all sides get something from it.

I see it more as they don't want a large set of rule changes to endanger their position as the fastest car at several tracks in 2017. Without some stupid errors and bad luck they should have taken the WDC to the wire, at the moment there's little reason to believe they're not significant contenders for 2018.

Why would they want a situation with a massive reset of research and investment? How would it look if Aston Martin came in under the new rules and handed Ferrari's exquisitely-packaged rear to them? Ferrari have gone a long time with no beega ween to show for their investment and they're not about to jeopardise the strong position they've finally developed themselves into.

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Off topic, but nice "Protoform" style paint scheme on that McLaren, you race RC cars too?

I think Liberty Media wants to copy paste Formula Indy spirit in F1 as much as they can, to level up competion. While intentions may seems interesting for some fans, adding too many rules will prevent F1 to use latest finds in technology with a risk in the long run to not be the "pinnacle" in motorsport anymore which should be one of the biggest F1 selling points.

And to the people claiming Ferrari "needs" Formula 1 for some reasons.. manyfactures like Toyota Bmw and Lamborghini are still selling their cars after thier big (or small) F1 involvments without issues.

Personally I feel the whole Liberty Media takeover and general change in ruling has been beneficial to the world of F1. I think he shake-up in rule changes were inevitable with such a takeover, as the new owners want to put there mark on the sport as they begin to change it for the better now that Ecclestone has stood back. A change was needed.

As ever with F1, such change was always going to be met with disparage and disagreement from the teams and drivers. Granted some of the changes were not the "best" in my opinion (*cough" Halo, *cough* shark-fin...), but not everything is going to go smoothly.

Otherwise these Ferrari threats don't surprise me, sort of come to be expected after all these years really :rolleyes:.
What's wrong with the shark fin ? I really like it.

Ferrari needn't F1 today. Today constructors needn't sport competition for sold their hypercar (have you see Lamborghini, Pagani, Bugatti, Koeniggsegg in competition recentlty ??? No... and they sell car without problem).
Today this is F1 who needs Ferrari.

And if Ferrari quit F1, Endurance will embrace their coming.

I've been following the Ferrari F1 team since I could speak, thanks to my dad. I can't imagine F1 without them and I'll probably stop watching it all together if they leave. For me there is no F1 without Ferrari.

And it's that type of mentality that is nearly irrational on Ferrari's part, that allows them to think they have leverage over the series. F1 will be F1 with our without Ferrari, in reality they need F1 more than F1 needs them. They only kept on existing because of the sport it could be argued.

Usual PR BS from Ferrari. They need to do this to make themselves look strong to keep their image as top dog. Setting up a rival series? Complete fantasy and quite honestly not even worthy of reporting - they had the chance many years ago and economically (not even considering anything else) it's stupid.

However, send Sergio to North Korea, might be able to teach Kim a thing or two about saber-rattling 👍

Back