DS4 to Wheel

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I'm new to the GTPlanet forum, but not to the world of GT.

I bought GT Sport last month and was immediately impressed, to the point where I really wanted to get a wheel (after years of debating). I finally got a G29 and started the slow transition from DS4. WOW! I never realised how much behind the scenes assistance a DS4 got. It's going to take me a long time to get back to the times I was doing with a controller.

Luckily, there are lots of threads here about setup, hints & tips that will prove very useful. Keep posting all the good stuff.

See you on the track :)

Last edited:
I find it funny allot of DS4 users think a wheel will automaticaly improve there driving because it is easier to control the car. Of course a wheel has big advantages over a controller but the learning curve is still very steep, maybe more so then on a controller.

Have fun with your new wheel ! Practice is the magic word ;)

Morning all,

I'm new to the GTPlanet forum, but not to the world of GT.

I bought GT Sport last month and was immediately impressed, to the point where I really wanted to get a wheel (after years of debating). I finally got a G29 and started the slow transition from DS4. WOW! I never realised how much behind the scenes assistance a DS4 got. It's going to take me a long time to get back to the times I was doing controller.

Luckily, there are lots a threads here about setup, hints & tips that will prove very useful. Keep posting all the good stuff.

So you on the track :)
Welcome to :gtpflag:, I have a G29 also and it is a very good wheel for this game, it will not take you to long to get better times.

@NigelMainsail Supercars fan?

687438-super_cars_2___driver_names.png

I got a G29 three days ago, everyone keeps telling me it is way faster than a controller, my concern is I am running Gr 3 cars on nurburg at 6.09 and up with the D-Pad, I know this is a good time admittedly not the fastest but how much faster a wheel is over a controller on the burg I don't know. One thing I do know is the forced feedback is so strong on my G29 that it hinders the cars ability to turn properly at times and the very limited settings on gts have little to no effect apart from making the effect even stronger, so just like you NigelMainsail I too am on a journey of discovery.......lets see if practice, practice, practice works.

I got a G29 three days ago, everyone keeps telling me it is way faster than a controller, my concern is I am running Gr 3 cars on nurburg at 6.09 and up with the D-Pad, I know this is a good time admittedly not the fastest but how much faster a wheel is over a controller on the burg I don't know. One thing I do know is the forced feedback is so strong on my G29 that it hinders the cars ability to turn properly at times and the very limited settings on gts have little to no effect apart from making the effect even stronger, so just like you NigelMainsail I too am on a journey of discovery.......lets see if practice, practice, practice works.
6 Minutes and 9 Seconds on Nordschleife, with Controller and using d-pad in a Gr3 Car??? That’s outstanding, I have never ever heard or seen anyone even close to this time. Respect.

Try your settings at 7,4,5. This should help with the stiffness and you will still be able to feel the bumps and ripple strips. Most people seem to put the settings way high. To me it's much better at the settings I mentioned. It's similar to the difference between power steering and without.

Hi all, I'm currently playing with DS4 and consider getting a wheel (probably a T150 after reading lots of review). I still have some concerns, like the space needed to have what seems to be a minimal / correct driving setup.

Is this really needed to have a full seat /stand to have a "decent" driving position ? I tried a T300 at my local videogames dealer, it was on a seat with this kind of position :

playseat-project-cars-6.jpg

I felt the seat was very low, nice for formula1 but maybe not appropriate for driving GT in gran turismo sport ? Is it possible to have good driving sensations without being in such a low/laid position ? For example, driving with a normal chair, wheel fixed on a desk ? Or "worst", sitting on some kind of stool without backrest ?

I have very little space in my flat, and look for the less space consuming solution (and I may have to unmount and stow it away after each use)

I'm currently using a T150RS Pro on a wheelstand pro with a dining room chair and it's more than sufficient. However, I have now got a Playseat Challenge, just haven't cracked it outta the box - supposed to be decent though: I'm sure others will give feedback

Hi all, I'm currently playing with DS4 and consider getting a wheel (probably a T150 after reading lots of review). I still have some concerns, like the space needed to have what seems to be a minimal / correct driving setup.

Is this really needed to have a full seat /stand to have a "decent" driving position ? I tried a T300 at my local videogames dealer, it was on a seat with this kind of position :

I felt the seat was very low, nice for formula1 but maybe not appropriate for driving GT in gran turismo sport ? Is it possible to have good driving sensations without being in such a low/laid position ? For example, driving with a normal chair, wheel fixed on a desk ? Or "worst", sitting on some kind of stool without backrest ?

I have very little space in my flat, and look for the less space consuming solution (and I may have to unmount and stow it away after each use)

This is my exact setup now. I'm very happy with it, except that the chair doesn't fold up so I can put it away.

I went with the G29 after being a DS3/4 player for all time. Its much easier for me to control the car in turns, but sometimes i am slower than I was with the DS4, sometimes way faster.

Playseat challenge is you friend, as you can set it up for a more GT layout and it folds up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ZELZDS/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

Mine (with my old wheel and pedals).
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...eels-master-list.239878/page-14#post-11231025
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...eels-master-list.239878/page-15#post-11317229

I've been using mine for two years and its excellent, and can take a lot of add ons. Mine has had a tactile shaker, TS8A shifter and button box added to it without issue.

Last edited:

I would recommend the G29 over the T150. I had the T150 and didn’t take to it for several reasons.

1080 rotation is too much and trying to change in GTS in an exercise in futility. G29 is at 900 standard which is much better.

G29 build quality is much better.

Pedals on the G29 are much better than the stock T150.

I would recommend the G29 over the T150. I had the T150 and didn’t take to it for several reasons.

1080 rotation is too much and trying to change in GTS in an exercise in futility. G29 is at 900 standard which is much better. The G29 pedals are also if a lower bitrate.

G29 build quality is much better.

Pedals on the G29 are much better than the stock T150.
On the other hand 1080 with soft lock and the ability to change it on the fly is more realistic.

The default pedal set on the G29 are better, unless you can get a T150 with a set of T3PAs.

The build quality and reliability I personally don't agree is that different now, and the G29 is old tech, noisy and the FFB isn't as detailed, particularly given the centre dead zone from the gears.

It also has no ecosystem past the bloody nasty shifter.

On the other hand 1080 with soft lock and the ability to change it on the fly is more realistic.
This would be true if it were intuitive and didn’t have to be done while on track, especially since it has to be done every time you re-enter the track
The default pedal set on the G29 are better, unless you can get a T150 with a set of T3PAs.
Agreed.

The build quality and reliability I personally don't agree is that different now, and the G29 is old tech, noisy and the FFB isn't as detailed, particularly given the centre dead zone from the gears.
Old tech doesn’t always mean inferior. I didn’t find the G29 any louder than the T150 and didn’t notice the dead zone you mentioned.

Honestly, the FFB on either is a joke in this game due to lack of settings.

This would be true if it were intuitive and didn’t have to be done while on track, especially since it has to be done every time you re-enter the track
Agreed.
I've never personally found the need to do it with my T300, soft lock works fine.

Old tech doesn’t always mean inferior. I didn’t find the G29 any louder than the T150 and didn’t notice the dead zone you mentioned.

Honestly, the FFB on either is a joke in this game due to lack of settings.
In regard to GTS I would not disagree, however I work on the assumption that most don't limit themselves to a single title.

If you haven't noticed the noise difference I'm quite surprised, it's rather clear.

Is this really needed to have a full seat /stand to have a "decent" driving position ? I tried a T300 at my local videogames dealer, it was on a seat with this kind of position

IMO, you don't need any kind of fancy seat to have fun and do well. A seat is a great stable platform and adds the immersive experience, but i drilled some holes in an old desk to bolt my wheel to and it worked fine for years.

EDIT: i said this in a previous thread and going from DS4 to wheel is going to be learning the game all over again. IF you are running 6:09 round the ring in a gt3 car, don't expect the exact same results your first lap out. You are going to be getting way more tactile feedback from the wheel that, when combined with the already good audio/visual feedback, will help you understand what the car is doing better and should help you find a few tenths here and there. In years of online racing from GT5/6/and sport i think PD has really nailed down the DS4 controls and the debate over wheel vs controller in GT games is virtually even. The only thing i've ever found with the controllers is when you let go the wheels snap to straight ahead, which is a bit of an aid, imo. In the hundreds of hours spent racing with wheels and controllers, both are about even in lap times, but me and my wheel friends usually have better race results due to more consistency and better knowledge of what our car is doing at any given time. Hot lapping they are about the same, in-race YMMV.

Last edited:

If I had to do it all over again I would get a seat that does not have the center bar so close to the feet.

I would go with something like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VW7XZH1/?tag=gtplanet-20

Or this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PMH7DL/?tag=gtplanet-20

There are set ups that use a chair and table. Just keep in mind that you will need to lock down a rolling desk chair and make sure the pedals are secured enough to the floor so you are not sliding it around every time you brake or accelerate.

You also have a set up like this for using a regular chair. It will help with the mentioned pedal sliding.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078BP8LN6/?tag=gtplanet-20

Last edited:
I agree with @Scaff and prefer the T300 base over a G29, havent used a T150 though so cant really comment on that. I have used a G27 for years before my T300 and still use the pedals of it. They are great wheels, dont get me wrong, but they are a little 'chunky' and loud in their feedback and the G27 and G25 do have that deadzone in the centre, dont know for the G29 but afaik the base is pretty much the same. 1080 rotation is also a plus imo but i play allot of other racing games, on PC and console.

A big selling point on the logitech wheels will be their durabilaty, they are built to last, my pedals are still fine after 8 years and my brother still uses my old G27 every now and then. Also the standard pedals are better then the standard Thrustmaster pedals wich suck pretty hard.

The Thrustmasters wheels do seem to have more issues though i havent experienced them myself yet. Big selling point is the improved FFB over the gear driven wheels, increased rotation and the ecosystem of add ons that can be applied to it.

Last edited:
I've never personally found the need to do it with my T300, soft lock works fine.

In regard to GTS I would not disagree, however I work on the assumption that most don't limit themselves to a single title.

If you haven't noticed the noise difference I'm quite surprised, it's rather clear.
The post I quoted specifically said they were most likely getting the T150. You keep bringing up the T300 which is different and much better than the T150 in many ways. The T300 uses belts only and the T150 uses gears and belt. The T150 doesn’t feel much smoother than the G29 and made plenty of noise.

IMO, you don't need any kind of fancy seat to have fun and do well. A seat is a great stable platform and adds the immersive experience, but i drilled some holes in an old desk to bolt my wheel to and it worked fine for years.

EDIT: i said this in a previous thread and going from DS4 to wheel is going to be learning the game all over again. IF you are running 6:09 round the ring in a gt3 car, don't expect the exact same results your first lap out. You are going to be getting way more tactile feedback from the wheel that, when combined with the already good audio/visual feedback, will help you understand what the car is doing better and should help you find a few tenths here and there. In years of online racing from GT5/6/and sport i think PD has really nailed down the DS4 controls and the debate over wheel vs controller in GT games is virtually even. The only thing i've ever found with the controllers is when you let go the wheels snap to straight ahead, which is a bit of an aid, imo. In the hundreds of hours spent racing with wheels and controllers, both are about even in lap times, but me and my wheel friends usually have better race results due to more consistency and better knowledge of what our car is doing at any given time. Hot lapping they are about the same, in-race YMMV.

If I am not mistaken in regards to the DS4 controller, when you push the stick all the way to the left for a turn, it takes the wheels to the limit of traction. Unlike a G29 where if you turn the wheel all the way to the left, you exceed the traction for the tires, thus hurting your overall grip. I believe this is why a lot of people are quicker with a DS4 out the gate as opposed to a race wheel.

If I am not mistaken in regards to the DS4 controller, when you push the stick all the way to the left for a turn, it takes the wheels to the limit of traction. Unlike a G29 where if you turn the wheel all the way to the left, you exceed the traction for the tires, thus hurting your overall grip. I believe this is why a lot of people are quicker with a DS4 out the gate as opposed to a race wheel.
really? thats a huge aid for ds4 users, but i guess it kinda makes sense.

Indeed the game is controlling the amount of steering angle to some degree for DS4 users. This is especially noticeable om corner exit.

The post I quoted specifically said they were most likely getting the T150. You keep bringing up the T300 which is different and much better than the T150 in many ways. The T300 uses belts only and the T150 uses gears and belt. The T150 doesn’t feel much smoother than the G29 and made plenty of noise.
I've used a G29 and owned a T150 for a year, the difference in noise is quite considerable.

At no point does a T150 have the cracking noise the G29 has when gears slip under high torque.

I've used a G29 and owned a T150 for a year, the difference in noise is quite considerable.

At no point does a T150 have the cracking noise the G29 has when gears slip under high torque.
i use a g27 w adapter and if i was buying a new wheel the G29 would be my last option, simply because it's essentially the same wheel and very old tech. That being said it does have a good track record for reliability.

i use a g27 w adapter and if i was buying a new wheel the G29 would be my last option, simply because it's essentially the same wheel and very old tech. That being said it does have a good track record for reliability.
Yep they are solidly built and gave excellent pedals for the money, but they are noisier than a part belt or full belt system.

Under the skin it is mainly a G27.

really? thats a huge aid for ds4 users, but i guess it kinda makes sense.

Don't take it as fact, but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

When I'm at the limit of traction I can feel the tire "fold" by the FFB going limp. You cannot replicate that with a analog controller. If they did not have a steering aid with a DS4 analog stick it would be like turning the wheel 200°+ when the stick is moved all the way to one side.

I do not like how they made the DS4 people equal to wheel users. I get that most of the customers do not own wheels, but there should be some incentive for wheel users within the game. By no means am I saying make the game unplayable for DS4 users, but wheel players should have an advantage over those with controllers.

But wheel players have an advantage over controller users.

Gran Turismo does a really good job of letting pad players be at least competitive against wheel users.

But, a top top top wheel user will almost always be faster than a top top top pad user. That's fine, that's how it should be, after all, if this wasnt the case, nobody would buy a wheel.

Back