The Gran Turismo Movie Might Be Dead

To be fair I don't think there would have been much potential for this to be a success partly because the source material doesn't have much to draw from.

GT has never been story driven unlike NFS so this would literally be a generic racing film with a bolted on title. Also I can imagine the general public would find a film about circuit racing not as big a draw as illegal street racing!

What’s with turning video games into movies as of late? Lack of originality? Not to mention they’re all complete garbage renditions. Anyone remember the Assassins Creed movie? Oh yeah, no one does. And what would even be the story line of a Gran Turismo movie?

I wouldn’t be opposed to it if they weren’t complete trash, but I haven’t seen a single video game based movie that wasn’t awful.

As a fan of the Uncharted series I hope they turn the tide for it, but I’m not optimistic.

[...] but I haven’t seen a single video game based movie that wasn’t awful.
This.
And it‘s the same when they make a game based on a movie (most of the time). :lol:

They should have gotten Ron Howard.

On the basis of Rush I agree, but I doubt Howard would've wanted to do the same thing twice, but with a bunch of imaginary characters the second time versus one of the most famous rivalries in automotive history.

GT has never been story driven unlike NFS so this would literally be a generic racing film with a bolted on title. Also I can imagine the general public would find a film about circuit racing not as big a draw as illegal street racing!

I dunno; as @MrWaflz55 alludes to, Rush was a fantastic film, and I think it did fairly well with the general public.

What’s with turning video games into movies as of late?

It's not new, but there does seem to be a renewed interest. I imagine that's at least partially due to the popularity of comic book adaptations.

I wouldn't say they've all been terrible. They certainly haven't been Oscar contenders, but I'd make the argument that the first Mortal Kombat was a half-decent action flick when it released in the mid '90s. The Jolie-fronted Tomb Raiders made sizeable coin in their day, and I'll admit I'm curious about the new one coming next month based off it starring Alicia Vikander. There's also the Uncharted movie mentioned in the article; Tom Holland has star power, and the story is essentially Indiana Jones.

There's also the Uncharted movie mentioned in the article; Tom Holland has star power, and the story is essentially Indiana Jones.

That’s what makes me cautiously optimistic about it because I really do love the Uncharted series and was always a fan of the Indiana Jones franchise. I just hope it doesn’t get butchered in the end.

I just think it’s a shame when great video games get a half-assed film adaption. I’ve probably played more video games than I’ve watched movies in my lifetime as I’m not a huge fan movies, but there are really some great video game story lines that could make fantastic movies if the time was taken to do it right. And if the right game is chosen, i.e. not Need For Speed or Gran Turismo.

Which makes me even more disappointed about how bad the Assassins Creed movie was.

Turning other videogames into Movies isn't really a terrible idea on the surface since you'd already be starting out with a general story idea with plots and characters and dialog to base everything on. But as we've seen it rarely leads to even a half way decent movie. Maybe they thought since GT was devoid of any sort of storytelling they'd be more free to make it work but it's just confusing to me because I don't play GT for any sort of characters or story and a movie based on GT wouldn't send me flying to the theaters to see it.

I still remember when I first heard they were working on a GT based movie, I just let out a chuckle. It just seems odd. :lol: They should make a movie about the drama of grinding career races to get 20 million cr to buy a new car!

It might be dead, but there is possibilities the project is on hold. Maybe they are waiting for the right time since there is internal problem in Sony's themselves. However, I guess this is for greater good of GT itself since there is no clear foundation for movie storyline by the way.

Actually, if you noticed the game simply let you choose for being a casual player who likes driving cars and just having fun or either a dedicated racer who loves challenges and pushing your limit and skills towards victory. There is no back story or true starting point to begin with. I thought it would turned up worse if they try and forced to add fictional characters and made up plot which is going to ruined the essence of GT imo. Complete opposite for such movies like Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider, which already have it's own storyline from the start.

I also had some prediction back when the movie adapation announced that the movie isn't completely about GT itself as video game, but mixed with GT Academy elements where the main protagonist had to walk his path from amateur to pro racing driver. Perhaps that the only thought I had for GT movie being make sense and work as storytelling medium. But, if they wrapped the project for real then I'm fine with that. There are other and plenty source materials (including video games) that is better to adapt into movie by the way.

I wouldn’t be opposed to it if they weren’t complete trash, but I haven’t seen a single video game based movie that wasn’t awful.

A lot of them are terrible but they are a few that are pretty good imo like the Prince of Persia movie and some of the Resident Evil ones.

I dunno; as @MrWaflz55 alludes to, Rush was a fantastic film, and I think it did fairly well with the general public.

Ah, but Rush is a biopic based on real events, it has the pull of people wanting to see the inside story on things that actually happened whereas a GT film would likely like be work of pure fiction. That's a much harder to sell unless it's sci fi.

Last edited:
OT but, almost a full day after the “launch” (pun intended) of the most prestige and extraordinary car event ever, the GT news writers still haven’t picked up on it yet? :confused:

OT but, almost a full day after the “launch” (pun intended) of the most prestige and extraordinary car event ever, the GT news writers still haven’t picked up on it yet? :confused:

And what event would that be? I can't remember much that goes on in February. I know there's the Tokyo Auto Salon in January, but idk what there is for February.

And what would even be the story line of a Gran Turismo movie?

They mention it in the article - it'd basically be a story about a GT Academy contestant. Though personally, I'd make a story inspired by that modded Honda Civic that won the prize at SEMA last winter. A story about someone who gets into modding race cars after being given a crash-course in the principles of racing and tuning via Gran Turismo. He starts out with grassroots racing, naturally, and it could end up with him getting into LMPs.

Even NFS hasn't had much of a story to offer in the games that had stories at all, and since none of the games are narratively connected (sans MW2005 and Carbon), you may as well be trying to make a Fast & Furious knock-off with the NFS license attached. And people did like Rush.

It might be dead, but there is possibilities the project is on hold. Maybe they are waiting for the right time since there is internal problem in Sony's themselves. However, I guess this is for greater good of GT itself since there is no clear foundation for movie storyline by the way.

Actually, if you noticed the game simply let you choose for being a casual player who likes driving cars and just having fun or either a dedicated racer who loves challenges and pushing your limit and skills towards victory. There is no back story or true starting point to begin with. I thought it would turned up worse if they try and forced to add fictional characters and made up plot which is going to ruined the essence of GT imo. Complete opposite for such movies like Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider, which already have it's own storyline from the start.

I also had some prediction back when the movie adapation announced that the movie isn't completely about GT itself as video game, but mixed with GT Academy elements where the main protagonist had to walk his path from amateur to pro racing driver. Perhaps that the only thought I had for GT movie being make sense and work as storytelling medium. But, if they wrapped the project for real then I'm fine with that. There are other and plenty source materials (including video games) that is better to adapt into movie by the way.
I'd love to see a movie following people from game to GT Academy to professional racing. I know there was a TV series (Was it just 1 season?), but it could be much better as a documentary rather than looking like a reality TV show.

It's very much off-topic, since we're not mind readers.

Games don't translate well to film, and films don't translate well to games, for two reasons.

Unless you're playing something by Quantic Dreams, games are interactive, but films are passive. In the game you participate in the action and direct how it unfolds - for better or worse - while you just sit and watch the narrative of a film.

Secondly, even games with the barest nod at a single player story have 10 hours or so of content. You can't compact that into 90-120 minutes of film and not miss something out, and you can't stretch a film out to 10 hours unless you're Peter Jackson (and even then, there's a few too many CGI battle scenes).

That said, I actually thought Assassin's Creed was a reasonable attempt. Oh sure, it wasn't very good, but they did a fair job of recreating the feel of an Assassin's Creed game in film form and covered most of the salient game plot points - Assassins, Templars, Pieces of Eden, Abstergo, the Animus (the film version makes marginally more sense, in fact) and even the bleeding effect - even though it was a bit rushed by nature of the medium.

Still, how you'd make a Gran Turismo film escapes me. As does the question of why you would.

It's very much off-topic, since we're not mind readers.

I think he's referring to the launch of the Tesla Roadster into space. Beautiful launch, I watched it live. The car has David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' playing on a loop. What's also cool is Elon glued a Hot Wheels Tesla to the dashboard with a miniature spaceman in it that a friend had given him. Would be cool to have the new Tesla in the game. That car is crazy fast.

It's for the best. Video games don't need a cheesy 90 minute action fest that's devoid of talent and intrigue.

Games don't translate well to film, and films don't translate well to games, for two reasons.

I wanna add onto this, and say a lot of media don't translate well between each other, with a few exceptions.

That's why I'd say the best adaptions are ones that aren't adaptions at all, but rather what I've dubbed "Spiritual Adaptions". For example, it's said that The Fifth Element was initially planned to be an adaption of Valerian, that old French comic that was iconic enough to inspire some of Star Wars' imagery. But ironically, it's that movie that's far more likely to be remembered than the actual adaption of Valerian we got last year.

Similarly, I'd say Black Swan and Inception are respectively spiritual adaptions of Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue and Paprika. Especially since there are some obvious things like how Nolan admitted Ellen Paige's character was inspired by Paprika's protagonist, and how Aronofsky used an exact same shot from Perfect Blue (where a bathing, anguished Mima submerges her head in her bathtub) in both Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan.

Unless you're playing something by Quantic Dreams, games are interactive, but films are passive. In the game you participate in the action and direct how it unfolds - for better or worse - while you just sit and watch the narrative of a film.

Secondly, even games with the barest nod at a single player story have 10 hours or so of content. You can't compact that into 90-120 minutes of film and not miss something out, and you can't stretch a film out to 10 hours unless you're Peter Jackson (and even then, there's a few too many CGI battle scenes).

That said, I actually thought Assassin's Creed was a reasonable attempt. Oh sure, it wasn't very good, but they did a fair job of recreating the feel of an Assassin's Creed game in film form and covered most of the salient game plot points - Assassins, Templars, Pieces of Eden, Abstergo, the Animus (the film version makes marginally more sense, in fact) and even the bleeding effect - even though it was a bit rushed by nature of the medium.

Still, how you'd make a Gran Turismo film escapes me. As does the question of why you would.

Heavy rain is one of the best games I have ever played.
A gt academy film plot along the lines of a bedroom racing driver making it to Le Mans would maybe work for me but I can't see a credible plot within Gran Turusmo

Why are people so closed? The Gran Turismo movie could talk about beauty in the motor world, a player who becomes a professional until a story is told about the creation of the saga ... There are so many things that can be done around Gran Turismo,. The only thing they and you think is about is racing and cars, which is not true.

Why are people so closed? The Gran Turismo movie could talk about beauty in the motor world, a player who becomes a professional until a story is told about the creation of the saga ... There are so many things that can be done around Gran Turismo,. The only thing they and you think is about is racing and cars, which is not true.

those ideas would make better documentary material, but a story with a protagonist and adversity would make a better 90min drama

What I want to know is, how would they get the Daily Award into the script - would they have to film 4 different versions ...? :lol:

I think he's referring to the launch of the Tesla Roadster into space. Beautiful launch, I watched it live. The car has David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' playing on a loop. What's also cool is Elon glued a Hot Wheels Tesla to the dashboard with a miniature spaceman in it that a friend had given him. Would be cool to have the new Tesla in the game. That car is crazy fast.

A very expensive diversionary tactic.

👍

It makes me think about The Last of Us, and how that'd lose all impact in movie form. Part of what made that game so great, for me anyway, was the slow build of the relationship between Ellie and Joel. This is done through the small-talk the players take part in as they move from area to area. It not only broke up some pretty monotonous sections of the game, but it gave players a look into these people. When the final scene happens, the weight of the last dozen hours (or more) that you've watched this relationship grow comes to bear.

I'm positive a gifted team could do something similar with a two-hour movie, but it'd be a different proposition IMO. In my head, I picture something ending up similar to 28 Days Later; a satisfying film, but not quite the same.

I just can't see how a GT movie would be beneficial for the brand, or even a big money maker for Sony.

I thought the Silent Hill movie from 2006 was really well made. One of my favorite horror flicks.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/
You could definitely tell Christophe Gans was a fan of the series, what with the almost 1-1 recreation of the SH1 Alleyway scene, the camera shots located inside spinning fans and the otherworld looking remarkably faithful to Silent Hill 2 and 3's. Definitely wasn't perfect, and I personally wish it stuck a bit closer to the original SH1 in the second half, but it's one of the few videogame adaptations that I don't completely hate. Shame he never directed the sequel, what a flaming dumpster fire that turned out to be.

On topic of the GT Movie, I only wanted it to happen as an excuse to create real world versions of some of the classic GT1/2 tracks :P. Wouldn't ever happen due to the very extensive costs, but I can still dream of a real Red Rock Valley or High Speed Ring.

Back