Kazunori Yamauchi Reveals "AI League" in Stanford University Lecture

Famine
The slide refers to it using driving data from GT Sport‘s online players. Hopefully not all of them though…
I_see_what_you_did_there_bcc75e0a36f4020f302b41c9a40d0597.jpg

Not a b-spec mode as clearly pointed out in the article.
However, the AI League does not seem to refer to an in-game feature at all, rather a real-world race series using autonomous drivers.
Not sure that automated racing is really going to take off. Seems like it would be really boring without the human element, especially since most top end racing is regulated to the point of being pretty much spec racing. Not sure how you would go about creating variances in driving styles without purposely coding in flaws, which would really be against any racing teams best interests.

The money they save on not paying B-Spec Bob will be plowed into replacement body parts.

Of course, if they're getting sanctioning from ARCA, they'll save some money because everybody wrecks there anyway. :lol:

When I saw the title I thought that AI league would be a competition for AI programmers to build their own AI for the game to compete against each other. I think this would be a pretty interesting project if it turned out to be true.

I enjoy custom races and AI letting you pass in case you're much faster is cool but sometimes they let me pass too quickly.

They just give up instantly. :odd:

Also if you watch the throttle they don't push 100% - could be a custom race fail-safe (for the amount of combinations we can make for them to work properly ?) ? In "Campaign" races they push the pedal to the floor.

IIRC, Formula E also has some initiatives on self-driving cars.

Historically racing is linked with auto development: first as marketing, then to develop automotive technology. This will simply be another place where racing will be the crucible to test new technologies. The place I see AI technology being most useful in such a racing series is putting a priority on "racing clean" so that the AI can develop defensive driver skills. When highway driving I can get a sort of "body language" feel for drivers and be able to anticipate lane changes (without signaling of course) a good amount of the time, an AI with that skill would be a good thing.

If good player data can be used to improve the AI (currently, about the worst in the business), I am all for it.

Offline racing is next to pointless in GT for the top tier drivers (top 30% I'd guess, but hard to know what true % it is), and consequently it raises the stakes on how well PD structure and police online. The jury seems to be out on that, so far!

But competent, highly skilled AI is currently saving PC2's bacon on PS4. Obviously, with a PS4 you can only play PS4 players in PC2 (as I just found out, so maybe not so obviously!), you can't even see all 3 platforms' leaderboards in TT. But their AI can be set to 'alien' whereas GTS's can barely be set to 'noob'!. So I still find the game hugely enjoyable when I can't find a room I like online because I can't race the PC and XBox players (nor they with each other).

But fail to find a good online room in GTS, you might as well turn it off. That can't be good for the game.

I don't personally care if it takes AI cars able to exceed player physics. I just want a slider I can set to 'better than me' or even just 'as good as me', not currently 'worse than a noob'! I honestly don't think I've seen an improvement in Gran Turismo's overall pace since I started playing on GT5Prologue. That's TEN YEARS of stagnation.

While the gist of the article seems to hint at a possible B-Spec again, the data and AI improvements can't help but improve the player's opponent AI, I would expect. And that would be Gran Turismo's best improvement in ten years...

Not a b-spec mode as clearly pointed out in the article.

Not sure that automated racing is really going to take off. Seems like it would be really boring without the human element, especially since most top end racing is regulated to the point of being pretty much spec racing. Not sure how you would go about creating variances in driving styles without purposely coding in flaws, which would really be against any racing teams best interests.
Dunno, The Jetsons have pointed to the future.
images

Kaz, producer of the racing game with the worst AI in the history of racing games talking about AI :lol:

A bit like asking Hannibal Lecter about his favourite 'recipes.' Sure you'll listen for a while for entertainment sake but at the end of the day you know it's just a bad idea.

Kaz, producer of the racing game with the worst AI in the history of racing games talking about AI :lol:

A bit like asking Hannibal Lecter about his favourite 'recipes.' Sure you'll listen for a while for entertainment sake but at the end of the day you know it's just a bad idea.
the AI of the GT, from the fifth chapter onwards, had as defect the little aggressiveness but was perfectly aware of what was happening in the race, if you see the other IA of other driving games would reevaluate what done by the PD with GT with the fifth chapter in then.

Last edited:
the AI of the GT, from 5 onwards, had as little defect the little aggressiveness but was perfectly aware of what was happening in the race, if you see the other IA of other driving games would reevaluate what done by the PD with GT with the fifth chapter in then.
:boggled::confused:

the AI of the GT, from 5 onwards, had as little defect the little aggressiveness but was perfectly aware of what was happening in the race, if you see the other IA of other driving games would reevaluate what done by the PD with GT with the fifth chapter in then.

Nope I've played both Project Cars, Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa and by comparison GT is still absolutely horse ****.

Nope I've played both Project Cars, Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa and by comparison GT is still absolutely horse ****.
So that makes it the worst in history? I mean, I wont even go deep here (uhhh, pole position for example), clearly you havent played any of the new NFS titles...

So that makes it the worst in history? I mean, I wont even go deep here (uhhh, pole position for example), clearly you havent played any of the new NFS titles...
Well he never really said its the worst in history, he said its the worst of other recent titles that he tried. I do agree with the NFS titles though lol.

Well he never really said its the worst in history, he said its the worst of other recent titles that he tried. I do agree with the NFS titles though lol.
Nope, he definitely said the worse in history...

Why the AI in the latest GTs is so slow?! In comparison, Forza is far from perfection but at least it's competitive.
I tend to race cars a couple of classes below the recommended. If its an N500 race, I'll use an N300. or if its a certain car, I'll use a couple tires below. Most of the pack is very slow, especially in the lower races. But there always tends to be a car or two that gives me a run for my money when I do it this way.

I tend to race cars a couple of classes below the recommended. If its an N500 race, I'll use an N300. or if its a certain car, I'll use a couple tires below. Most of the pack is very slow, especially in the lower races. But there always tends to be a car or two that gives me a run for my money when I do it this way.
I actually do this now. Custom race, Gr.4. S-FR RC(stock, just a camber tune) on SH tyres at Nurburgring, Twilight/8:30pm. 15 minutes. Starting from position 20. RH tyres make it a rocket.

Back