M3 Owner Orders an OEM Clutch From Amazon, Gets an F1 Assembly Instead

I got to say I agree with Husky on this one, but if the guy could find out what F1 team was trying to get that clutch...

He could sell it to them at a discount of $1000 and still bank $4000 at the lowest. Just sayin.

He should definitely keep it and put it on display
"Yeah nice place ya got here... Ah, what's that?"
"Oh it's just a clutch to a Formula 1 car. They're not for sale to the general public"
"Oh Breadvan" Insert Seinfeld theme

I got to say I agree with Husky on this one, but if the guy could find out what F1 team was trying to get that clutch...

He could sell it to them at a discount of $1000 and still bank $4000 at the lowest. Just sayin.
Or what's most likey going to happen is the clutch company will just ship the F1 team the clutch they ordered. The M3 owner will send that F1 clutch back and get his proper replacement.

Or what's most likey going to happen is the clutch company will just ship the F1 team the clutch they ordered. The M3 owner will send that F1 clutch back and get his proper replacement.

If he bought it from Amazon and not a 3rd party they’ll likely let him keep it and send a replacement.

Edit: I looked it up and I thought wrong.

Last edited:
In the news this week: Sebastian Vettel suffers a last place finish in this week's Formula One race as his car's clutch has mysteriously had "a massive downgrade".

Yeah, you just know his M3 clutch has been sent to an F1 team by mistake!

I'd probably keep it unless the manufacturer specifically asks for it back and compensates him for his troubles. Otherwise, I highly doubt he'll get anyone to buy it at what it's really worth, and Formula 1 teams won't touch it.

I'd probably keep it unless the manufacturer specifically asks for it back and compensates him for his troubles. Otherwise, I highly doubt he'll get anyone to buy it at what it's really worth, and Formula 1 teams won't touch it.

Well he might have had some luck if this was three to four years earlier when HRT and Caterham were still on the grid

why wouldnt a formula team not touch it, explain why Mclaren?

Pretty simple, some random guy with seemingly little mechanical know how has had his hands on it. Taken it apart and run a potential for missing pieces, unnecessary wear, and risky storage conditions. F1 teams operate on trying to have parts in a clean area before putting them together on their cars, as well as ensuring that everything is accounted for and maintained to that level of competition. Why would a team risk that, when they could just get the part direct from the source eliminate the middle man and ensure no failure due to being cheap.

Now a lower tier formula team on a budget that may be looking for parts second hand even and then reworking them to last a certain duration would enjoy knowing some person out there has a potential viable clutch.

Because it's now been in public possession which F1 would see as a compromised part solely because of the possibility of tampering.
This is my ultimate assumption of why the part is not allowed to the public to begin with. I read only AP & Sachs are contracted to build Formula 1-clutches, so I'm assuming they are required to build them a specific way.

Somewhat similar to how Formula 1 cars aren't sold to the public 'til the cars are well out of competition range. Or so I've read as to why Vettel was promised his championship Red Bull, but won't be receiving it for a couple years.

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Joe Donaldson (@Joey D) on May 6th, 2018 in the Car Culture category.
Funny story
This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Joe Donaldson (@Joey D) on May 6th, 2018 in the Car Culture category.
Funny story

If the guy didn't know what it was and it didn't look like the right part, why would he take it apart?

From the story he didn't know what the even right part looked like. As for the taking it apart, probably because he owned it and could at that point.

imagine an F1 mechanic opening up a box and wondering why they have a standard street clutch for a decade-old BMW!
crepy_intercept.gif

Well, personally I would put that clutch in an auction.

I'd try to get some free F1 tickets out of this. Monaco Hairpin is cool but Eau Rouge will be fine.

If the guy didn't know what it was and it didn't look like the right part, why would he take it apart?

Why not? it is just a multi disc clutch, not some super complex assembly and yes while the parts/materials are "exotic" it is basically the same same but smaller than other multi disc clutches common people can buy. If you can make a sandwich you can put it back together and you don't even need to worry about lining up the splines on the F1 one ;)

Maybe just order more parts from amazon and see if the rest of the assembly starts showing up so he can have a full F1 tranny. lol

But jokes aside, I would see if I could get the clutch company to help pay for my new clutch and pretty much that is it. No use in having a clutch you can't use. Even if it would look cool as a display part in the house.

From the story he didn't know what the even right part looked like. As for the taking it apart, probably because he owned it and could at that point.
Why not? it is just a multi disc clutch, not some super complex assembly and yes while the parts/materials are "exotic" it is basically the same same but smaller than other multi disc clutches common people can buy. If you can make a sandwich you can put it back together and you don't even need to worry about lining up the splines on the F1 one ;)
It doesn't matter if he owned it or its easily put back together.
In the post he says his friend told him he need a new clutch, it didn't look like the one in picture and asking for a picture of a M3 clutch. If someone needs to tell you need a clutch, its likey he will not do the job him self. He doesn't know what road car clutch looks like, if he worked on cars before he would know something is wrong that clutch is smaller then a regular car clutch. Then in his next post he already package it back up to return it cause it was the wrong part.

If he was unsure if it was the right and seems he didn't work on cars before why would he risk taken it apart and damaging it?
The seller made a mistake in sending the wrong part if he broke it by taken it a part then the seller could charged him for it.

In the post he says his friend told him he need a new clutch, it didn't look like the one in picture and asking for a picture of a M3 clutch. If someone needs to tell you need a clutch, its likey he will not do the job him self. He doesn't know what road car clutch looks like, if he worked on cars before he would know something is wrong that clutch is smaller then a regular car clutch. Then in his next post he already package it back up to return it cause it was the wrong part.

If he was unsure if it was the right and seems he didn't work on cars before why would he risk taken it apart and damaging it?
The seller made a mistake in sending the wrong part if he broke it by taken it a part then the seller could charged him for it.

First you've quoted me and argued as if I agree with what he did. I don't agree, I think he's an idiot but that's me. Second unless there was some kind of legal portion he signed off on that said if he were to get the wrong part and such that any damages he caused because of it would be additionally charged...then no he doesn't need to pay for anything else. Where you got this notion...is strange. See the distributor/manufacture is at fault for getting it mixed up, not the new owner, so even if he did return it and it was damaged that blame can't be placed on him. It could easily have been due to transit.

You seem a bit irritated by this entire debacle though, just my personal notion on it. Not sure why that would be. Once again it's his part they mixed up the part number for it hence why it ended up where it did, thus he paid for it. The manufacturing error is on them as it always is when manufactures distribute parts and get it wrong.

Last edited:
As far as I could tell, he legally owns the part now and is under no obligation to return it, give it back, or give them more money for it if he wishes to keep it.

lol yeah ok buddy...

Back