TT Isle of Man: Ride on The Edge Sidecars Update Arrives This Week

This, or no sale.

bcycle.jpg

"...players are also able to split the fun between two players with one acting as the main rider and the other as passenger." That is a really cool idea!

:D

EDIT: It would be great if rally games did a similar thing where one person drove, & the other was the co-pilot reading out the pace notes. Are there any that do that?

Last edited:
VBR
"...players are also able to split the fun between two players with one acting as the main rider and the other as passenger." That is a really cool idea!

:D

EDIT: It would be great if rally games did a similar thing where one person drove, & the other was the co-pilot reading out the pace notes. Are there any that do that?
DiRT Rally has this specifically for the VR mode. Pretty cool.

I'm a bit surprised they went to the trouble to make a 2 player mode for this(especially if they're still trying for an online version) but good on them for trying.

I've seen streams of this game and it looks like a lot of fun, however is it literally just the IoM TT track? It seems a bit cheeky to be charging full price for a game if that's the case.

I've seen streams of this game and it looks like a lot of fun, however is it literally just the IoM TT track? It seems a bit cheeky to be charging full price for a game if that's the case.

There's not a huge track selection, but there are other original tracks in the game. It's main draw though must be the Snaefell mountain circuit I would have thought. I've not used any other track or game mode other than time trial!

The TT track is the only real track, but there are plenty of fictional tracks - I haven't played the game, but they look very good. I only play with a wheel (not capable of using a hand controller) and this game would be strange with a wheel, but maybe the sidecars would be ok with one?

@John Wells - have you got this game John? If so, please let me know what the sidecars feel like with a wheel!

I tried the sidecars briefly. Aside from being fiendishly difficult - with automatic passenger - they don't really feel like they are going to be my thing at all. I had no idea what to expect but I guess I was expecting something that felt like a weird bastardization of bike and car, but all I got was weird.

"Weird" is one thing this game has no problem doing well.

Downloading the sidecar update now, will try them out soon. Nice to see no mention of removing the god-awful mid-race saving during career mode.

Had time for one lap tonight. That's pretty tough, even tougher than I expected. Going around basically any right-hander above 50mph is an adventure, even with the passenger leaning to the right. And if you do get a little slidey, you of course can't turn left to counter it because all the weight is on the right. The AI logic for leaning might need a bit of help, sometimes she just didn't seem to care that there was a corner coming or would lean but much too late. Other times she seemed to be reacting to my steering inputs quite well and would start leaning as soon as I started turning(even a little) and stop when I let up. Going full-auto might be risky because of that, you'll need to learn which corners don't work right and make sure you tell the passenger to lean in advance. Thankfully there is a semi-auto mode so you can override it when necessary and ignore it the rest of the time.

I expected braking to be really difficult but I had no problem with that. Stopped very fast and stayed pretty stable even with aids off.

They added a meter if you are using one of the close cameras to show if the passenger is left/right/center/tucked. Probably a good idea. I didn't notice whether it could be turned off or not.

Overall it is very twitchy, at least turning right. Not terribly unsurprising(particularly since this game is a bit too twitchy at the back anyway) but it's really quite difficult, at least at first. And there were a few times when I seemed to be just riding along fine with minimal steering input and it just flipped over in the middle of the road. Hopefully there's an improvement patch coming down the road for some of that. An interesting challenge indeed right now, which can hopefully be made a little less "interesting" in the future.

I managed a 27:31 with about a thousand crashes, still good enough for 70-something on the leaderboard for day 1 :lol:. It's a bit comical how easily the passenger falls off sometimes, and then once a crash has started the driver just falls right through the bike. It flips over like it weighs 3 pounds at times too. Watching them I've thought they were a bit more stable than this.

I saw some comments on steam saying they aren't based on real riders or teams which seems a bit surprising given the rest of the game. Some people also said the standard bikes felt better now but I didn't have time to try anything else tonight.

Had time for one lap tonight. That's pretty tough, even tougher than I expected. Going around basically any right-hander above 50mph is an adventure, even with the passenger leaning to the right. And if you do get a little slidey, you of course can't turn left to counter it because all the weight is on the right. The AI logic for leaning might need a bit of help, sometimes she just didn't seem to care that there was a corner coming or would lean but much too late. Other times she seemed to be reacting to my steering inputs quite well and would start leaning as soon as I started turning(even a little) and stop when I let up. Going full-auto might be risky because of that, you'll need to learn which corners don't work right and make sure you tell the passenger to lean in advance. Thankfully there is a semi-auto mode so you can override it when necessary and ignore it the rest of the time.

I expected braking to be really difficult but I had no problem with that. Stopped very fast and stayed pretty stable even with aids off.

They added a meter if you are using one of the close cameras to show if the passenger is left/right/center/tucked. Probably a good idea. I didn't notice whether it could be turned off or not.

Overall it is very twitchy, at least turning right. Not terribly unsurprising(particularly since this game is a bit too twitchy at the back anyway) but it's really quite difficult, at least at first. And there were a few times when I seemed to be just riding along fine with minimal steering input and it just flipped over in the middle of the road. Hopefully there's an improvement patch coming down the road for some of that. An interesting challenge indeed right now, which can hopefully be made a little less "interesting" in the future.

I managed a 27:31 with about a thousand crashes, still good enough for 70-something on the leaderboard for day 1 :lol:. It's a bit comical how easily the passenger falls off sometimes, and then once a crash has started the driver just falls right through the bike. It flips over like it weighs 3 pounds at times too. Watching them I've thought they were a bit more stable than this.

I saw some comments on steam saying they aren't based on real riders or teams which seems a bit surprising given the rest of the game. Some people also said the standard bikes felt better now but I didn't have time to try anything else tonight.

Yes, there seems to be three distinct problems with this game, as you mention.

There is terrible oversteer on right-hand corners. I find myself approaching right hand corners with trepidation, not really knowing what surprises are in store. Right angle or similar turns means you have to take them carefully at a snail's pace to ensure you exit them in one piece.

This is unlike in real sidecar races where the team actually approaches them in a muscular aggressive manner, with the passenger kicking at the wheel casing to nudge the vehicle round the corner - no pussyfooting here at all.

The second problem is with the left-hand corners, with the passenger often ignoring them completely, or moving too late.

And the third problem is when you are going in a straight line and something just happens out of the blue.

Back