Special Olympics Announces First Esport Tournament, Features Forza 7

What constitutes an “intellectual disability”? Since a fairly large percentage of gamers (especially the type who play simulation-type games, and especially the type serious enough to pursue esports) are somewhere on the Autism spectrum, myself included. But having Aspergers shouldn’t be enough to qualify for the Special Olympics

Is this a subtle implication that gamers are "special people", as in mentally handicapped? Also, as much as I like my hobby, E-Sports instead of real auto-racing? Sorry, but simply no.

Is this a subtle implication that gamers are "special people", as in mentally handicapped? Also, as much as I like my hobby, E-Sports instead of real auto-racing? Sorry, but simply no.

No, you're completely misreading it. It's just a competition which is open to people with learning difficulties/special educational needs who game, not that gamers suffer from learning difficulties.

No, you're completely misreading it. It's just a competition which is open to people with learning difficulties/special educational needs who game, not that gamers suffer from learning difficulties.

I thought as much, but a bit of poor taste to put in a normal person as part of the team (sounds a bit like lumping the two under the same banner). Shouldn't the special olympics be for those who are challenged by their disabilities and give them the spotlight? Normal gamers play on normal e-sports events, I would say.

What constitutes an “intellectual disability”? Since a fairly large percentage of gamers (especially the type who play simulation-type games, and especially the type serious enough to pursue esports) are somewhere on the Autism spectrum, myself included. But having Aspergers shouldn’t be enough to qualify for the Special Olympics

From their website.

According to the American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, an individual has intellectual disability if he or she meets three criteria:
1. IQ is below 70-75
2. There are significant limitations in two or more adaptive areas (skills that are needed to live, work, and play in the community, such as communication or self-care)
3. The condition manifests itself before the age of 18

I thought as much, but a bit of poor taste to put in a normal person as part of the team (sounds a bit like lumping the two under the same banner). Shouldn't the special olympics be for those who are challenged by their disabilities and give them the spotlight? Normal gamers play on normal e-sports events, I would say.

Their website explains the whole Unified Sports idea more in-depth, but it's not like they are inviting the alien drivers to the event.

https://www.specialolympics.org/unified-sports.aspx

Not going to lie but I thought this was a wind-up, the name "special Olympics" couldn't sound more patronising if it tried. Thumbs up to the person who came up with that name :lol:

Not going to lie but I thought this was a wind-up, the name "special Olympics" couldn't sound more patronising if it tried. Thumbs up to the person who came up with that name :lol:

There's potential for a lot of tasteless snark given how well known the avg. multiplayer race goes on in Forza.

I hazard a guess these truly 'differently abled' people have a higher driving standard than the avg. Forza Rammer League.

The Adaptive controller is a nice tie-in for an e-sport event going into the Special Olympics.

Back